Tundra or Silverado

mightyhunter

Very Active Member
I sold my 2007 Tundra. In the past, I have had that Tundra for 13 years and prior to that it was Chevrolet Silverado. I am looking for a used Tundra or Silverado in the 2015 to 2018 range. Crew Cab or perhaps a Double Cab. I need it to hunt in and to pull my toy hauler in the summer. Any input or suggestions? And no, I will not even consider a Ford or a Dodge. just asking...mh

I have a 2014 Toyota Tundra double cab that still runs like a top and have never had to do anything but routine maintenance on it. It tows great, at least it seems to tow my 20’ Grady white with ease. I’ve owned almost every brand of truck, this has been the most carefree of them all. Good luck with your choice.

Jody

Toyotas have a good reputation, but I've been really pleased with my Silverado. It's a 2005, Z71, 4X4, 5.3L with 227,000 miles on it. :D I don't do any heavy towing but just got back from a 4000+ mile TN to WY to SD and back hunting trip.

instead of asking why not find the trucks within the years you are wanting and go drive both a tundra and a chevy. make the decision yourself.

opinions help but your opinion is the one that matters. I have driven both and I would still take my 2017 lariat F150 over both.

I love my 2007 Tundra. I bought it a couple years ago with only 34,000 miles and it now only has 87,000 miles. If you can find a low mileage Tundra I'd go for it! Toys are known to last 200,000+ miles without problems. Mine is a limited and rides smooth like a car. They likely cost a bit more but also hold their value better than Chevys. I consistently get 16 to as much as 20 mpg with mine but know some guys don't get that great of gas mileage. That's pretty darn good for a peppy motor!

I had a 2004 Tundra and now have a 2013 Tundra. I love my Tundra but if I was buying a new one I would probably look at something else.
Why? Toyota is about ten years behind the smart apps that are on everything else.

Keyless entry, keyless ignition, vehicle tracking, vehicle starting from smartphone, 360 camera, speed limit sign display and Ford even has a generator. And I'm sure there is more stuff that I don't know about.

I agree that a Tundra might be a little more expensive but most four wheel drive pickups hold their value better than most cars and SUVs.

Around here a 2018 Tundra or Silverado would cost almost as much as a new one.

If you like Silverados you might want to look at a new one, big rebates on the 2020 models right now. Also 0% interest if you are going to finance. With the rebate and some hard negotiating you could be close to $33K on a $43K sticker price truck.

There are several new 2020 Silverados on the lots around me but there are virtually no Tundras.

My wife said she’d like try try a truck. I looked for used ones but with what they still bring on the used market it just made sense to get a new one. I didn’t even need to test drive. They are thirsty but they are never in the shop which is more than the union made junk can say.

The resale market for used 4 runners, tacos and tundras tells me all I need to know.

A24F10C6-5B6B-4F5B-BFF2-82D27550E43B.jpeg
E5AD624F-BDDE-4E50-A0ED-0D6D1FBC2FB3.jpeg

I've had Toyota trucks for the past 30 years and truly love them. I sold my 2011 Tundra 5.7 and purchased a 2020 Ford 3.5 EcoBoost. In comparison between the two I still like the Tundra overall, but, the Ford is much better suited for towing and the terrible gas mileage the Tundras downfall. That was my 2 reasons for changing to Ford. Chevys are just junk waiting to break. Fixing allot of Chevys over the years made me change that decision. Too many plastic parts. Buy Toyota!

I like GMC, but I'll drive any of the big 3 before an import. mtmuley
Is Ram still Big 3 even though their parent company is in the Netherlands?

I'd take a Ford first and then a Titan a distant second. But that's just me, I know it sounds random ?

They just call them a Ram. They’re still just a Dodge…
They're still junk iether way!
Have been using dodge's at work for 10 year's now and all of them have been junk Brand new 2500 hemi with 40,000 miles just cost 15k at the dealership! Said they get 2 a week with same problems. Glad it's a work truck and I dont pay for em!
I wouldn't drive a personal gas dodge if you gave it to me for free!

Last edited:
They're still junk iether way!
Have been using dodge's at work for 10 year's now and all of them have been junk Brand new 2500 hemi with 40,000 miles just cost 15k at the dealership! Said they get 2 a week with same problems. Glad it's a work truck and I dont pay for em!
I wouldn't drive a personal gas dodge if you gave it to me for free!
The Cummins is pretty tough to beat but those 2500 gassers are high geared gutless junk. I wouldn’t buy one either.

I have an 07 Tundra that i bought new, and i'm looking forward to the new re-design 2022. Everything i have read says the new Tundra will be worth waiting for!

Not sure about what you see there but the Local Toyota dealer has none in stock along with most other cars and SUV’s. They have two Avalon’s on the lot and some used trade ins the other day. This is a big dealership. Never seen anything like it. Used tundras are also hard to find.

You know which is more reliable and a better investment.

View attachment 43082
First it was "less expensive to own" but that wasn't true, so now it's "more reliable" with a screenshot of Consumer Reports saying Chevy is below average?

Well, CR picked the Honda Ridgeline as the best overall pickup and the Jeep Gladiator was the only other pickup recommended by CR as of their article dated 2/23/21. Of the Tundra, they said it was reliable, but "has an older design and doesn’t perform as well as its rivals in most other areas." Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Admittedly, I couldn't care less what CR would say about a Ford truck (the F-150's weren't included this year as they're brand new) because I know how they work for me and anybody that considers a Gladiator and Ridgeline as a "pickup" doesn't carry the weight necessary to influence my decision.

Buy what you want! People really shouldn't care what trucks other guys drive. I will only buy Ford trucks but that's because I think they're the best-selling trucks for a damn good reason and I've never had a breakdown. Ever.

But we all have first and second-hand stories of good and bad experiences with EVERY BRAND

Everybody drive what they want. Who cares anyway?

First it was "less expensive to own" but that wasn't true, so now it's "more reliable" with a screenshot of Consumer Reports saying Chevy is below average?

Well, CR picked the Honda Ridgeline as the best overall pickup and the Jeep Gladiator was the only other pickup recommended by CR as of their article dated 2/23/21. Of the Tundra, they said it was reliable, but "has an older design and doesn’t perform as well as its rivals in most other areas." Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Admittedly, I couldn't care less what CR would say about a Ford truck (the F-150's weren't included this year as they're brand new) because I know how they work for me and anybody that considers a Gladiator and Ridgeline as a "pickup" doesn't carry the weight necessary to influence my decision.

Buy what you want! People really shouldn't care what trucks other guys drive. I will only buy Ford trucks but that's because I think they're the best-selling trucks for a damn good reason and I've never had a breakdown. Ever.

But we all have first and second-hand stories of good and bad experiences with EVERY BRAND

Everybody drive what they want. Who cares anyway?
I love how every time in a forum someone posts something you don’t agree with you have an out “who cares anyway?”
This is the topic we are discussing, people are weighing in Grizz, that’s the point of the thread.
Yes, the Toy is still more reliable, a better investment and cheaper to own when you consider resale value, depreciation and repair.

I agree with the patriotic sediments when it comes to Buy American. Butt, my last superdooty was made in Mexico. The one I have now was assembled in KY, but the 6.7L has a sticker on it saying it was made in Mexico.

So I don’t get near as excited with the buy American re: vehicles. Not to mention that I’m all about keeping good paying jobs in MX.

The electric lime green Taco for this year is :cool:

Toys hold their value very well! Even if you pay more you'll get more for it when you sell it. I've had 0 problems with mine and you may also end up paying less in the long run not having to get stuff fixed!

I love how every time in a forum someone posts something you don’t agree with you have an out “who cares anyway?”
This is the topic we are discussing, people are weighing in Grizz, that’s the point of the thread.
Yes, the Toy is still more reliable, a better investment and cheaper to own when you consider resale value, depreciation and repair.
So you're saying you like your Toyota, got it.

But do you honestly care if somebody else buys a Chevy instead? Because I wouldn't buy either of them, but it doesn't bother me one bit if somebody else does.

So you're saying you like your Toyota, got it.

But do you honestly care if somebody else buys a Chevy instead? Because I wouldn't buy either of them, but it doesn't bother me one bit if somebody else does.
Negative, but we were discussing the topic so I thought it was warranted to point out facts.

My 2008 2500 Silverado has 263000 miles. I’ve replaced both CVs and the left front bearing. That’s it.

I work for a big automotive supplier as an engineer. I’ve dealt with all the American and Japanese car companies in my career. The Japanese are extremely difficult to work with for that reason only I won’t buy their vehicles. Yes they make the tundra in Texas I can tell you most of the parts are from Japanese suppliers based with plants in the USA. The profits go back to Japan. The GM 5.3 liter is a good engine so I say buy the Chevy.

I agree with the patriotic sediments when it comes to Buy American. Butt, my last superdooty was made in Mexico. The one I have now was assembled in KY, but the 6.7L has a sticker on it saying it was made in Mexico.

So I don’t get near as excited with the buy American re: vehicles. Not to mention that I’m all about keeping good paying jobs in MX.

The electric lime green Taco for this year is :cool:

LOL - Makes sense if the Taco is made in Mexico. I'm waiting for the release of the electric blue "Burrito" it's supposed to have extra gas, er horsepower

I have a Toyota (5.7 V8) and my hunting buddy has a Silverado 5.3.....I like my truck, but he gets an honest 50% better mileage than I do. I think gas is going way up, so that's gotta be worth something.........BK

I have a Toyota (5.7 V8) and my hunting buddy has a Silverado 5.3.....I like my truck, but he gets an honest 50% better mileage than I do. I think gas is going way up, so that's gotta be worth something.........BK
I’ve had both and both on 33s got 17 in 5.3 and 14mpg in the tundra.

I loved my Tundra but had to part company with it over gas mileage. Towing my small toyhauler I got 6.8 miles per gallon on average. With a 26 gallon tank I had to stop way to often to fill up and that really bothered me. I've had Toyota trucks for 30 years. It was hard to move on but I did. Good luck on your choice.

I sold a 2014 Ford eco boost and bought. 2018 Tundra with 35K miles. Definitely lost some mileage going from about 18mpg down to about 14.4. I haven’t towed with the Tundra yet but not looking forward to the diminished mileage but overall I like the truck.

8CAE715A-8C73-474D-ACF0-0AF53E27D17A.jpeg

I bought my 07 tundra new, and looking forward to the re-designed 22 tundra, everything i've read is positive, and the reported new twin turbo v-6 at around 450-hp, at 25 mpg looks great.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom