TURKEY CALLING TIPS: Basic Calling Tips and Tools

So, I have a stupid turkey calling question/observation.

We have a couple of geese nesting at the pond behind the house. When they fly out honking and making a big racket, the turkeys back in the trees GO CRAZY gobbling at the geese. Every time.

They don’t do that reliably when I squawk at them with a turkey call, although sometimes they’re just stupid and will come in at a dead run.

Has anyone tried to call them with a goose call?

So, I have a stupid turkey calling question/observation.

We have a couple of geese nesting at the pond behind the house. When they fly out honking and making a big racket, the turkeys back in the trees GO CRAZY gobbling at the geese. Every time.

They don’t do that reliably when I squawk at them with a turkey call, although sometimes they’re just stupid and will come in at a dead run.

Has anyone tried to call them with a goose call?
They won’t likely come into a goose call. They’re “Shock Gobbling” to the Goose honks. Great way to locate a bird, and get close to use your hen calls, without them associating the sound with a Hen. In the end, they’re just unpredictable, Dumb birds.

They won’t likely come into a goose call. They’re “Shock Gobbling” to the Goose honks. Great way to locate a bird, and get close to use your hen calls, without them associating the sound with a Hen. In the end, they’re just unpredictable, Dumb birds.
I completely agree with you El Gringo. I would also add that the wild turkey views itself as a dominant bird. They will gobble to assert their “authority”. Lol

Adding to the shock gobble comment. I have used crow, coyote, owl calls & even honking my truck horn to pull a gobble out of a bird.

Was at buddy's cabin with birds roosted close by. Went out to put remaing spaghetti dinner pot into a cooler for the night. Kinda dropped it in and the lid clanked into the cooler and a bird gobbled!

Yep. Turkeys shock gobble at anything. Siren. Airplane. Whistle. Coyote howl. You can really get those Merriam's gobbling when they go to the roost!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom