Turkey Hunt

WITUfan

I am thinking a Texas hunt in 2023 should be on the agenda for my teenage son and me. There just aren’t many more springs left with him at home. We don’t need a guide, just good ground, Turkeys, some room to roam, a place to stay and someone to say, “the turkeys are usually over in that direction.” I know there are a million turkey camps in Texas, but most of what I am finding through web searches are fully guided and a little posh for our taste and budget.

I could also possibly put together a larger group if someone knows an opportunity to lease out a place exclusively for a week or long weekend.

I want to avoid a place that is hunted to death. I really want a high quality hunt with lots of birds. Hogs, fishing, unique location, would all be a plus but aren’t necessary. I know that “cheap” hunts usually aren’t a true bargain, but cost is a consideration since I will be paying for 2 hunters.

Can anyone point me I the right direction?

I lived in Tx for 1/2 my life. I know exactly what you’re looking for, and all I can say is Good luck. These opportunities existed in the 90’s, and I’m sure there are a few now, but your best bet would be to have a personal connection that owns a ranch, or some kind of referral. It’s very much pay to play system down there.

Wish I had better news.

I don’t mind to pay. I’m just hoping to find something that isn’t a fully guided, gourmet meals, etc., situation.

Thanks for the info.

I don’t mind to pay. I’m just hoping to find something that isn’t a fully guided, gourmet meals, etc., situation.

Thanks for the info.
I get it, completely because I’ve looked for these opportunities for years. They’re very difficult to find.

IF you decided to go the guided route, take a look at the King Ranch. Hands down the coolest place in Texas, and the hunting is out of this world. It’s a little spendy, but the experience is on another level.

You might keep an eye on Craigslist in San Antonio, or whatever part of the state you were looking at. I used to find opportunities by doing that, but it’s hit or miss on what to expect when you do find a place.

Thanks. I didn’t realize it would be a hard thing to find. We might have to look a different direction. I just think a Texas hunt would be cool. I just want to spend his spring break hunting somewhere next year. Might head to Alabama.

Take a look over on the Texas Hunting Forum- outfitters and guides section. Might find something on there, at least contact one of the outfitters and ask.

Houston Chronicle paper used to have a classified section for hunts and leases. Check on Chron.com

Texas P&W has a new on-line service for landowners to list their properties, and what hunts are available.
"Hunt Texas Online Connection."

Finally, get on the TP&W website for public drawn hunts during the period July-October, and apply for a public hunt on a WMA in Spring 2023.

Most good turkey ground is already leased either by repeat hunters with a year-round lease or outfitters. Most good leases are way more than I will spend for one or two birds. Sadly our places does not have turkeys.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Texas Guides & Outfitters

West Texas Hunting

Private land free range hunts for native and exotic game on nearly 1 million acres in west Texas.

Urge 2 Hunt

Deer/Elk tags - DIY or guided for all species. Many guaranteed tags for trophy hunts.

Vargo Hunting

300k acres for free range auodad, mule deer, elk, whitetail and all the Texas exotics.

Back
Top Bottom