Turkey huntin

1989Cohunter

Very Active Member
I know it’s a little early but, my boy is getting excited to go out and not be cold. Anyone have any cool plans?

I'm super bummed about Colo and surrounding states so am in a quandary what to do this year.

I have dependable private land to hunt in Nebraska. There used to be literally hundreds of roosting birds in their tree rows at night but they have slowly but surely dropped to only a handful. It's gotten so bad that I'm not returning this year. I'm not exactly sure why the numbers have dropped so dramatically in Nebraska. From what I've heard the same drop in turkey numbers is happening in other midwest states?

The CPW in Colorado continues to increase spring turkey tags in just about every limited unit across the state. The number of turkeys tends to be decreasing and number of hunters increasing in just about every unit. I have several Colo pref pts and really aren't that excited about burning them. If anyone has any suggestions please pm me.

We never had turkeys here until a couple years ago. I suppose they are expanding their range to backfill the void left by the deer and elk.

We had 24 yesterday. I’ll buy a tag and not use it, just like always.
ADC09833-6E12-46C0-8CF0-9705E03FD386.jpeg

They definitely know where they are safe around subdivisions. We have quite a few on the properties where I work that don't ever get hunted. On just about any given day I can walk right up to them. I was cutting Russian olives the other day....looked up and there was a flock of around 30 around 50 yards away!

They certainly are entertaining to watch. Hopefully their numbers recover in Nebraska and elsewhere where I've spent time.

I’m not that into spring turkey hunting but in the fall it’s pretty much a given to kill one if you know where to look around here. They are everywhere!
I do buy a spring tag sometimes but don’t take it to seriously.

Doing the same this year as in the last five year..hunt here in Utah then Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming

They definitely know where they are safe around subdivisions. We have quite a few on the properties where I work that don't ever get hunted. On just about any given day I can walk right up to them. I was cutting Russian olives the other day....looked up and there was a flock of around 30 around 50 yards away!

They certainly are entertaining to watch. Hopefully their numbers recover in Nebraska and elsewhere where I've spent time.
Interesting you mention russian olives. They are hands down the most popular wild (not ag) food source on my place.

I don’t know whether they provide good nutrition or not, but all the critters seem to use them at one time or another.

I know I can get subsidized to take them out, but I’m reluctant to so I just try to keep them from spreading.

Turkeys in the russian olives.
1754C5F5-9607-4912-8AAD-24B5485EF5C3.jpeg

One of my favorite memories is of turkeys having eaten all the low level russian olives jumping into the air to grab the ones above. It is comical. I understand that in the ranch I use to lease in Kansas that they have now removed all the olives and cedars. This will ruin the deer and turkey hunting.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom