Turkey Hunting Time!

Shot this one last week, 10 inch beard, 1-3/8 inch spurs, 30 yard shot. Good luck you guy's and be sure and post pics.

103_0945.JPG

Watched several toms for a few weeks. Yesterday morning decided it was time. Bagged this tom before work/swing shift. 8 1/2 inch beard. Bagged several with the 12 gauge in past. Last one with my bow. This one with a Rossi combo gun-410, 3 inch 4 shot. Have to make it something new and exciting. ?

20210411_092649.jpg

20210419_094823.jpg

Ha Ha. I can't believe i have to explain to some faceless d*** on the internet:
I listened to him gobble at truck . North is private land. I had to walk south one mile to hit public land. I listened to him gobble from six a.m. till 7:30. I then walked towards him on the public road through private and called, getting him fired up. (i know it is legal to walk on this land because i was checked here carrying out a bird last year from the public land). i then turned around and called all the way back to public land. He showed up on the public land 10 minutes later. There was an open spot that he stood in as soon as public land started. I tried to call him closer to my position, which was against some thicker stuff (because i didn't want to sit it the open area where i presumed he would walk) . He gobbled back to me 4 times in about one minute as i tried to coax him closer. I had ranged the tree he was in front of at 61 yards. After calling at him four times in one minute at 60 yards, i figured he would not come closer. With a Browning Gold Hunter with full choke on 28" barrel I knew could make that shot. I have only shot one bird that far, back in 2001.
You can debate that all you want but if he stood in one place gobbling a mile away for an hour and a half, then came to within 60 yards of me... i think i called him in. Call it an ambush if you give a crap about someone else's hunt that much.

someone else jealous of another's success. got to poke holes in someone else's full bag to make themselves feel better... me getting p'd off .... i forget that's what people do on the internet.

I felt damn good outsmarting that bird! I hunt public land and take the first opportunity i can when i have an animal in my sights. Not many that i want to kill get away.

the end

You did a great job, called in is called in, doesn't matter if it's 2 or 200 yards. I've called in elk, deer coyotes and turkey, some charge in completely fooled and some hang out at various distances looking for the animal you're mimicking. Only question is would you have gotten the same shot without the call, if not, then you called it in.

Good shot to kill it at 60 yards.:love:

rmanwill makes me want to get a 410 to hunt turkeys, sweet looking gun.:love:

I think some of the folks on here should actually "try" turkey hunting vs. judging other people's success. You might be less critical when you understand turkey behavior and realize what a feat it is to get a turkey to come in from long distances to 60 yards. Unreal.

HI C man, great bird, and a great story. Congrats!!!

I think some of the folks on here should actually "try" turkey hunting vs. judging other people's success. You might be less critical when you understand turkey behavior and realize what a feat it is to get a turkey to come in from long distances to 60 yards. Unreal.

HI C man, great bird, and a great story. Congrats!!!
I’ve killed 37 turkeys, between 4 different states, with bows, shotguns and rimfire rifles. I’m well aware of what it takes to successfully find, call in and harvest a wild turkey.

shooting one at 60 is way less of a challenge than shooting one at 6.

#38 will be in a couple weeks.

On a side note, it’s humorous to see guys praise a dude for taking a 60 yard shot on a bird (which is too far for an ethical shot), but these same guys will crucify a guy for shooting a deer at 100 yards with a bow or 1000 yards with a rifle.

guess we get to pick and choose our ethics based upon the animal involved with the questionable shot distances.

I say shooting one at 60 yds is quite a challenge! Of course I would have loved for him to be closer. He wasn't coming any more as I had called at him 4 times in one minute. The game was soon to be over. I took shot I knew I can make. I did it once 20 years ago with same gun.

I am not a long range rifle guy but I know how to turkey hunt and I know what shot I can make. I know when the game is almost over. Like I said , not many I want to kill get away. I have passed on several at that range in the last 10-15 years that I didn't feel comfortable about the shot.

Do you sit in a blind to kill turkey with your bow? Want me to poke holes in that and say it's not hunting? Have you shot a few with arrows that you didn't recover?

Good luck on your hunt and make sure your story is bulletproof cause everyone wants to give you their opinion on it!

questionable shot distances.

I think this can be debated to death on what is ethical or questionable. I think 60 yards with modern shells and the proper choke is within range and an ethical shot. With a shotgun you are more worried about energy and density, compared to a 1000 yard shot there is a low of variables that could impact the shot.

Nice job @HIcountryman

I’ve killed 37 turkeys, between 4 different states, with bows, shotguns and rimfire rifles. I’m well aware of what it takes to successfully find, call in and harvest a wild turkey.

On a side note, it’s humorous to see guys praise a dude for taking a 60 yard shot on a bird (which is too far for an ethical shot), but these same guys will crucify a guy for shooting a deer at 100 yards with a bow or 1000 yards with a rifle.

guess we get to pick and choose our ethics based upon the animal involved with the questionable shot distances.
Weren’t you defending hunting high fence on the Patagonia thread? And you want to talk ethics? Please stop.

This is one of the best online hunting communities. Sucks to have the negative vibe on such a positive thread. Good luck on number 38 and I mean that sincerely. Keep us posted.

Weren’t you defending hunting high fence on the Patagonia thread? And you want to talk ethics? Please stop.

This is one of the best online hunting communities. Sucks to have the negative vibe on such a positive thread. Good luck on number 38 and I mean that sincerely. Keep us posted.
The only reason some big game species still exist in this world is because of high fence hunting operations. Those high fences preserved them and kept them around. It gave the value and in today’s world, without value, things don’t stay around very long. I don’t think I’d call that unethical.

and shooting an animal inside an enclosure, isn’t anywhere near the same “ethics” argument as potentially wounding an animal because you took a long shot on it.

"That’s fine if you don’t agree with it. But you should never slam another legal hunter for getting outside and chasing an animal. I don’t agree with the ethics of some forms of trapping, but you’ll never hear me tell a trapper that what he’s doing is wrong or not a type of hunting. If he’s legal, more power to him"

Delta Bravo, would you please explain the hypocrisy of this statement you wrote in one thread in light of this thread?

I listened to him gobble at truck . North is private land. I had to walk south one mile to hit public land. I listened to him gobble from six a.m. till 7:30. I then walked towards him on the public road through private and called, getting him fired up. (i know it is legal to walk on this land because i was checked here carrying out a bird last year from the public land). i then turned around and called all the way back to public land. He showed up on the public land 10 minutes later. There was an open spot that he stood in as soon as public land started. I tried to call him closer to my position, which was against some thicker stuff (because i didn't want to sit it the open area where i presumed he would walk) . He gobbled back to me 4 times in about one minute as i tried to coax him closer. I had ranged the tree he was in front of at 61 yards. After calling at him four times in one minute at 60 yards, i figured he would not come closer. With a Browning Gold Hunter with full choke on 28" barrel I knew could make that shot. I have only shot one bird that far, back in 2001.
You can debate that all you want but if he stood in one place gobbling a mile away for an hour and a half, then came to within 60 yards of me... i think i called him in. Call it an ambush if you give a crap about someone else's hunt that much.
Congrats to your success! I know how hard calling in shy birds can be. Downright frustrating at times...

Hey Joe,
How long are you going to get to hunt and how many birds can you kill? What weapon are you going to use?

Some nice birds on here! Congrats!

We haven't left for Nebraska yet, but below is a "video" I took opening weekend here in TN. Not much to see in the video, but just listen. This was the second morning in a row these birds gobbled like this. They hit the ground going onto property I can't hunt. Not sure why. I thought I sounded pretty sexy! :D:D

To make a long story short, I was able to catch up with one in his strut zone (on property I can hunt!) and bring him home with me! 23 pounds, 9" beard, but only 5/8" spurs. Anyway, the video is the koolest part of this hunt and post. Take a listen.

:cool: :cool:

Attachments

• 2021 Opening Video.mov
    13.9 MB
Sounds like a pile of um. are you using a mouth call, sounds good?
Sounds way better than my glass scratcher.
Congrats on the turkey, post a picture.

Hey Joe,
How long are you going to get to hunt and how many birds can you kill? What weapon are you going to use?
4-1/2 days, 3 birds, shotgun-I need to recheck the regs, but I gotta get that 1st one! Having to cut it a day short because of the family death.

I have to admit, our success rate is about 1 bird per year, far below what I would hope and expect. We find the birds respond well to calls, but prefer to go the other way. Maybe they don't like our southern accent! :LOL:

Our best strategy seems to be find out where they are going and intercept them. I'll be sure to post pics. Heck, I might do a semi-live!

Funny that you posted a double beard, the second turkey I killed had the same thing. I've never shot one like that but I ruined it as I cut almost half the beard off with the broadhead, About 4 inches below the main beard is a 7 inch beard but only has 6 or 7 hairs.

Cool picture and thanks for posting.

earls, 14 yd shot, 10in brd, 7 in secondary brd, beat the heck out of decoy.JPG

"If the triggers gold the bird will fold." ‐‐Rut Daniels

Last edited:

Im kinda new around here, but with the utmost respect intended, at 37 kills, youre still a pup. Its not supposed to be a numbers game, but if it becomes one, you've got a long row to hoe to get there. To the guy who made the post: CONGRATS!

Ummhmm you probably did on cabelas video game, not the same thing, kinda like saying you were pulling in ladies in wells nevada

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom