Turkey load

#5 Winchester Longbeard XR out of a Hasting .665 choke tube
Better patterns than fours, little more downrange energy than sixes. Good to 50 yds

Hevi Shot 12ga #7 ....I tested a lot of turkey loads with a target taped to a medal bucket and this load blew right through the buckets every time at 50 yards and non of the other loads did. I’ve killed a lot of turkey out to 60 yards using Hevi Shot Turkey loads.

3 inch No. 5’s Winchester , been getting it done for 30 years for me. Not saying it’s the best load out there but I’ve had no reason to change. I’ve knocked them dead at 50-60 yds with no issues.

Hevi Blend 5,6,7 , 3 1/2” (3” when other isn’t available). Pure gold choke tube. Try and shoot them under 35yds, but have laid them down at 50 when needed, and folded cripple at 65 when I made bad shot and it ran off.

Hevi Blend 5,6,7 , 3 1/2” (3” when other isn’t available). Pure gold choke tube. Try and shoot them under 35yds, but have laid them down at 50 when needed, and folded cripple at 65 when I made bad shot and it ran off.
Those shells definitely reach out and touch them if you need them to

I’m using a kicks xfull. That’s what I use for waterfowl and it works good for turkey loads as well. Probably better options out there though for just turkeys

I have killed so many turkeys over the years, I've lost count. But I have killed them with a 410 with #4 shot, 12 gage with #2, BB, and 4 shot. Lost a few that got up and flew away. Then I bought a Mossberg 9200 with a screw in choke in XXX and it makes no difference what shot you use I get a paper plate size pattern out to 50 yards. #9 would work. So it has allot to do with choke more than shot size. The super dense chokes are a death sentance.

Winchester Longbeard XR's in 3-1/2" #6's. Remintgon turkey extra full choke.

#6's of anything pattern better than 4's or 5's in my 870, but these pattern the best. Confident out to 55 yards.

Shot Hevi Blend 5,6,7 for a while, and they had a tighter pattern at 50 yards, but too tight at 25. The XR's are a good compromise.

Taken 8 birds with Kent Diamond shot #5 at various ranges up to 50yards using lower end turkey choke(s). Going to try some #6 on Friday, got it to pattern real good out of my 11-87.

I use #4's. The best shell IMO was Activ with the nickel plated shot. But I've used them all up & Kent bought them out. Now I use Kent's 1 5/8 oz #4's in 2 3/4" 12 gauge. Killed my gobbler here in Colorado last Saturday.

I switched to Apex a few years back. I shoot the TSS straight 8’s in one of my O/U’s with Sumtoy .665 choke on the bottom barrel & a .675 on the top.
In another O//U I shoot the Apex TSS straight 8’s with Indian creek tubes.
Both guns pattern ridiculously good.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom