Turkeys Starting to Play

HuntnProf

With this wet weather, and the flooding along the river a couple weeks back, turkeys have been a bit elusive, but hit up the foothills and they seemed pretty fired up with the nice weather this week.

Are you folks seeing them a little behind this spring? Opening day the group I hunted was 6 toms, no hens, and the foothill bird from the other day was 5-6 toms with a group of hens….

Been trying to get wife on birds, but the 2 days she couldn’t go, the birds cooperated….this weekend should be the ticket for her.

Time to bust out the bow for me.

95669A8B-8E63-4FF8-B2EC-51237651BB34.jpeg

1E8C7F34-362E-468A-9F76-481622685BC4.jpeg

Birds I’ve hunted this year, in Texas and Cali have been “Behind” IMO. I chalk it up to this giant, late winter that’s been the trend across the entire West. I’m hunting an awesome place in S. Texas the last weekend of the season, and I’m hopeful they are going nuts…..

Congrats @HuntnProf ! Awesome birds

Pretty sure I’m only going to get one opportunity this season and in true fashion flat a$$ missed . Was hard to peal the birds off outside San Luis area last week. Keep taking pics Thunder Chickens are a different kind of special!

Well with a knee surgery looming, and so far a lack of getting another gobbler into bow range, I was feeling pressure mounting and chose to grab the gun while taking my wife out. Good call. Got these two to come in and allow us to get a double (something we’ve only done a few times). Hers had a whisk broom instead of a beard ;)
5AF3C985-B52D-4FE9-9FDC-0F8E3A12EF04.jpeg

9490FE75-7CD7-4B5D-BA8E-376A092B3B58.jpeg

Well 2023 is a wrap. Wife finished out with her biggest bird of the year. 21.5 lbs, 10.5 “ beard, an awesome 1 1/2” spurs. Normally we’d head to WA to chase Merriam’s, but knee surgery will keep us low key for a month.

Have fun this last week…..Tom’s are cruising solo around noon now. Archery/youth will be great in May!
IMG_7895.jpeg

IMG_7897.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom