turkeys

HIcountryman

let's revive this thread as a turkey hunting forum! hasn't been any action here in a while. can't wait til spring
785.JPG

HIcountryman

2nd post was a couple yrs ago. biggest spurs i've seen on a merriam's bird. they usually dull down on the rocks and such. his subordinate friend jumped on him after i shot him, strutting and gobbling on top of him as he thrashed around a last time. i pulled camera out of pocket to try and photo, but he saw me and regained his senses.

HIcountryman

thanks guys. nothing like turkey hunting! being from FL, there are some long spurs down there. love the mountain scenery chasing Merriams.

3TOE

Turkey hunting is my personal passion. I absolutely love chasing birds. I’ve personally taken my fair share & have thoroughly enjoyed calling in birds for others. It’s so awesome seeing the smile on a newby turkey hunters face when they hear a bird gobbling his head off. Most recently I’ve hunted with a buddy from California that had never turkey hunted and he’s absolutely addicted now. I love it!!!
D652A877-1FC4-4124-81D9-9F7CC5C11A84.jpeg
506D949B-C9A8-4584-940A-B1CFD4EA47D3.jpeg
E2592E48-9F27-48E0-9D50-B7396DABA680.jpeg
FD22FF1E-F5D5-4AA3-BF7D-0F0A7201D61B.jpeg
5CB7FA10-F8B2-46AD-BFAA-99B6F9A7C2C9.jpeg
631147D2-B7B6-4B29-B25B-B87537DE2EE0.jpeg
6BF1CAD0-B29A-4AEE-86D0-EBB1D43A6E7F.jpeg
1C89529D-16E2-450A-A67E-E893B6B74EC4.jpeg

HIcountryman

I too love to turkey hunt in OK. went from about 2010 through 2016. then they changed the evening hunt to end at 7pm instead of sunset.... seemed dumb to me.... haven't made it back there.... mostly work/time constraints.
dodging the tornados makes for some scary camping , eh?

3TOE

I too love to turkey hunt in OK. went from about 2010 through 2016. then they changed the evening hunt to end at 7pm instead of sunset.... seemed dumb to me.... haven't made it back there.... mostly work/time constraints.
dodging the tornados makes for some scary camping , eh?
It’s a truly special place to me.
I understand the regulation change & cut off at 7PM. My assumption is the they were protecting the birds from being hunted on the return to their roosts. I hunt Easterns also & I think everyone would agree that they are the toughest subspecies to hunt. That being said, I believe that setting up near a roost is fair game. I won’t personally hunt near a roost for Rio’s, but that’s just me. I won’t begrudge anyone so long as they don’t shoot a bird off of roost. On the other hand, once he hits the ground he’s fair game.
As for the tornados, I haven’t had any personal experiences with them while hunting there. I have hunted near some wild fires a few years ago & that was pretty creepy. I never personally verified the claim, but I had heard a turkey hunter was caught in a wildfire in 2016 or 2017 near Arnett & died.

3TOE

Hope to get the wife and I on are first turkey action in April!!!! Never been before .
Best of luck to you & your wife.
I remember my first turkey hunt like it was yesterday & that was close to 30 years ago. I absolutely love it. I hope you have a great time and you are covered up with birds on your first outing.

littlebighorn

Long Time Member
3 Toe,
That fifth picture in your string looks like you were both trying to fan your beards opposite the turkey fans!! :LOL:
Pretty cool pic!

jims

Very Active Member
Starting to get turkey fever looking through the pics in this thread! Turkeys definitely get my heart pounding. I've only been hunting them for around 6 years and often get "buck fever" every time I see strutting toms!

HIcountryman

saw a couple spindley longbeards (one strutter) with a group of 5 hens yesterday while scouting. heard a gobbler as he flew up to roost. talked him into gobbling a few more times. got the blood pumping for opening day a couple weeks away yet. nice to find a spot to hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom