Twelve year wait was well worth it

Cody

Hello, I have been talking with John McCollum with Eden Ridge Outfitters at the Sheep Shows the last few years about the Blacktails in SW Oregon. I had twelve bonus points and decided it was time to hunt one of these little gray ghost. With that many years invested in out of state licenses and app fees I was glad to have the help of John and Caleb White. On the way into the area Caleb was setting me up in we had a chance at a really nice 3 point. I was having trouble deciding to shoot or not with it being the first morning as the buck slipped out of sight. That scenario rolled through my head most of the day as I sat and watched the area I was told may hold a good buck. I was told the hunting had been tough and I had not seen a deer yet from my spot. I was starting to question my decision of passing the 3 point up. Caleb reassured me via text that I would kill a big buck now that I had passed the good buck up. Boy was he right as late in the afternoon I caught movement to left and it was close. I had just caught a glimpse of antler and it looked good although I didnt know exactly how good. I had just enough time to grab my gun and shoulder it as a buck appeared between some brush at 18 yards. I had to make a quick shot but the Thor made its way into him. It wasnt all peaches and cream after the shot but I got it done and ended up with the a blacktail of my dreams. An old warrior buck with some impressive unique bone on top. Thanks John and Caleb for the help in taking the buck of a lifetime.

6490420191119081019.jpg

4105720191119081646.jpg

7858320191120103809.jpg

9503120191120104140.jpg

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-19
>AT 05:52?PM (MST)

>
>WOW! Thats a giant. Congrats
>Im thinking that's the Applegate hunt?
>

Thank you. It was Applegate.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-19 AT 08:09PM (MST)[p]>Congratulations on one of the finest
>trophies in North America, in
>my opinion. What a beast!
>

I totally agree with you on that and thank you. Im still on cloud nine and am so glad I was in the right spot at the right time for once.

Really neat buck with some fun stuff going on all over! Good for you!

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

>Really neat buck with some fun
>stuff going on all over!
>Good for you!
>
>Brian Latturner
>MonsterMuleys.com
>@mm_founder on Instagram
>LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
>on Facebook!

Thank you. Ya hes a cool buck. Was glad he came by.

Fantastic blacktail!!!

The only I'll be able to get in my career is the deer slam... I'm lacking eastern whitetail and Columbia blacktail...

>Fantastic blacktail!!!
>
>The only I'll be able to
>get in my career is
>the deer slam... I'm lacking
>eastern whitetail and Columbia blacktail...
>
>

Thanks. Your almost there. I still need a Coues and Sitka.

>What a toad! Looks like the
>twelve year wait paid off
>nicely.
>Congratulations!

Thank you. Ya he was well worth the wait. Finally had some big buck luck.?

>Great buck. A buck like that
>is the hardest trophy in
>North America to get.
>Love blacktails!

Thank you. I have a huge respect for these little gray ghost also.

>Stud! Need to get that
>thing officially measured.
>
>BOHNTR )))---------->

For sure. I am going to run him in after the drying period. My hunts are now done for the year so Ill have some time to gross him out this weekend and Ill post what I come up with. Should be interesting, lots of odd ball points. I also sent the teeth in to Oregon so Im interested to see what he ages.

>Very Nice Buck. Hunted The Applegate
>Unit A lot Big Bucks
>Come That Area.I Killed Mine
>With A Muzzleloader.

Probably the first and only time Ill ever get to hunt it being a non resident. Just takes to many points to draw and Oregon has gotten pretty pricey to put in for over the years. Seems to be some incredible genetics there. And I was blessed to have a buck like this come by.

>Hot buttered popcorn, that's a big
>ol' blackie. I'd pop him.
>
>
>Congrats on a once-in-a-lifetime buck.

? yes he is. Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-19 AT 09:06PM (MST)[p]>Stud! Need to get that
>thing officially measured.
>
>BOHNTR )))---------->

I roughed scored him today. 8 scorable points each side. Went 141 4/8 gross as a non typical, 130 and some change net. He wont make B&C because their minimums are so high. But I will have him scored by a SCI scorer. Give him credit for what he grew.

I'd rather have a buck like this even if he didn't book, than a typical that made the B&C book. Very unique and rare.

>I'd rather have a buck like
>this even if he didn't
>book, than a typical that
>made the B&C book. Very
>unique and rare.

Absolutely. Hes the blacktail of a lifetime in my eyes. I have a few goof balls on the wall that dont make B&C standard but are some of my favorite deer. To bad there are extra points for character. ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom