two stage triggers

kicker

How difficult would it be to have a two stage trigger put on my .300 mag sporter classic? The ones that the professional target shooters use.

what brand of rifle is it? if it's a remington, it should be fairly easy. buy a timney and drop it in. winchesters are a little trickier, and would probably need a gunsmith to do the work. probably the same with a ruger. don't know much about the rest.

Are you talking about one that "sets", like a Canjar? I have a buddy that has a Browning 73 (?) with one. I've shot it a bit and it's nice off a bench or at p-dogs, but I wouldn't use it for hunting. Blow on it and it goes off. Do a web search on Canjar triggers or Jewell triggers and your should get a ton of info. How old is your Win? My newer model 70 is adjustable and quite good.

if it's a winchester you should be able to adjust it as light as you want it. the winchester trigger is sorta unique, when compared to most other rifles. it is basically part of the gun. remingtons and some others use what is called a "canned" trigger. all the moving parts are contained in a little alluminum case and and all that holds it in is a pin and then a set screw keeps it tight. i'm guessing you're talking about a true 2-stage trigger? where the the trigger just sorta hangs there loose until you pull the slack up and then squeeze just a fraction and it goes bang? i have a ruger VT target rifle that has a 2 stage trigger. it works great for targets and prarie dogs and things, but it wouldn't be real good for big game. mine is only like a 1 pound pull with virtually no creep. to do something like that to a winchester would take some gunsmith work i'd imagine. if all you want is a lighter pull, the winchester is fairly easy to fix up.

Get on the web and due a search for "Winchester trigger" or "adjusting the Winchester trigger". Food for thought, I would not go below 3 lbs on a big game hunting rifle, and I am used to using light trigger pulls on a rifle.
RELH

winchesters are pretty easy. model 70's anyway. take the action out of the stock and find the trigger. (haha) there should be 2 screws and some springs. (you'll need a small straight blade screw driver and a really small wrench, like an ignition wrench. can't remember the size) one of the screws adjust creep and the other adjusts the weight. sorry can't remember which is which, but it's pretty easy to figure out. loosen up the set nuts, adjust it to where you like it, and retighten the set nuts. it's really pretty easy. hardest part is getting the action back into the stock just right so that the floorplate works right. oh yeah, make sure the gun ain't loaded. that or do it outside.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom