TWO WAY RADIOS

1shot1miss

I'm lookin to get a new pair of radios. What do you guys use and recommend for when your out hunting and shed hunting?

Rugged Radios work well for my group.
Lightweight and compact. They have holiday sales and you can get them for about 75 bucks each. They come with a rechargeable battery and you can also get an optional AA battery pack. You can also get an extended distance antenna if you want. Just Google rugged radios and it will come up.

Rugged Radios work well for my group.
Lightweight and compact. They have holiday sales and you can get them for about 75 bucks each. They come with a rechargeable battery and you can also get an optional AA battery pack. You can also get an extended distance antenna if you want. Just Google rugged radios and it will come up.

Will do! Thanks!

Well here is my take on Radio's. For hunting in some areas it is not legal to take game using radio's. That being said. I our area where we have some property. We have no cell service. To over come this we use radio's to communicate. We have used Rhino radio's from Garmin. They are nice because they show your hunting party on a map using GPS. It was always a comfort hunting with my elderly father knowing that we could always find him. Using the goto feature of these radio's. Or even while pushing timber or on drives. You can see you party in a line on the mountain. We always have our Rhino's in our back packs these days. But use them for back up radio's. Yes I know Garmin spells it Rino. We use a different Radio system these days. A little more reliable then a hand held with a battery. In the old days before cell phones we had radio's in all of our work trucks. 450 mhz 800 mhz and 900 mhz. For us the 450 mhz works best on the mountain. We have them in our trucks, side by sides and boats. We use them now as a talk to talk radio to radio system. But we can use them with a repeater. Ether put on a mountain top using someone else's repeater. Our setting up your own repeater. But some have gone as far as setting up a repeater in a small enclosed trailer. This way you can go to different areas. Set up your trailer while in that area and take it with you. This my seem a little extreme for most but it is doable. Well these older radio's are very cheap to pick up on google. They come in 25 watt 50 watt and even bigger systems. Cost as little as 25 dollars a radio. We generally, if not stuck in a valley can talk from one end of a unit to the other. Fifty miles apart in some areas if very doable. But the big advantage is they don't go dead like a hand held. We do use the hand held just caring extra batteries or a backup charger. We have used Rugged radio's mounts to mount some of our radios. Also being on a private frequency we don't have to hear the camp kids chattering on the radios. Anytime we want to we can go radio silent . Because talking on a radio while hunting just doesn't work. Just like riding a atv in on game. Hopefully this isn't to much for you. But you can see i have put a lot of thought into this and have tried different things.

Well here is my take on Radio's. For hunting in some areas it is not legal to take game using radio's. That being said. I our area where we have some property. We have no cell service. To over come this we use radio's to communicate. We have used Rhino radio's from Garmin. They are nice because they show your hunting party on a map using GPS. It was always a comfort hunting with my elderly father knowing that we could always find him. Using the goto feature of these radio's. Or even while pushing timber or on drives. You can see you party in a line on the mountain. We always have our Rhino's in our back packs these days. But use them for back up radio's. Yes I know Garmin spells it Rino. We use a different Radio system these days. A little more reliable then a hand held with a battery. In the old days before cell phones we had radio's in all of our work trucks. 450 mhz 800 mhz and 900 mhz. For us the 450 mhz works best on the mountain. We have them in our trucks, side by sides and boats. We use them now as a talk to talk radio to radio system. But we can use them with a repeater. Ether put on a mountain top using someone else's repeater. Our setting up your own repeater. But some have gone as far as setting up a repeater in a small enclosed trailer. This way you can go to different areas. Set up your trailer while in that area and take it with you. This my seem a little extreme for most but it is doable. Well these older radio's are very cheap to pick up on google. They come in 25 watt 50 watt and even bigger systems. Cost as little as 25 dollars a radio. We generally, if not stuck in a valley can talk from one end of a unit to the other. Fifty miles apart in some areas if very doable. But the big advantage is they don't go dead like a hand held. We do use the hand held just caring extra batteries or a backup charger. We have used Rugged radio's mounts to mount some of our radios. Also being on a private frequency we don't have to hear the camp kids chattering on the radios. Anytime we want to we can go radio silent . Because talking on a radio while hunting just doesn't work. Just like riding a atv in on game. Hopefully this isn't to much for you. But you can see i have put a lot of thought into this and have tried different things.
Thanks for the input! I will definitely look into this!

But just remember your not going to get the talking distance that is stated on the box. If you want the better radios and the distance, go amateur radio. The 2/440 meter handheld radios have way more features and if by chance you have a repeater nearby it can be a life saver.

I like Garmin Rinos. I have a 110 that’s about 22 years old and the 6 hundred something with the bigger screen.

Have any of you said silly/wacky things over the radio when you know someone’s listening but you pretend to not know? I have.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom