Type 9 area 54 bull elk hunt

hubba_3

Is anyone familiar with this area? Why are the amount of applicants for this area so low compared to the other surrounding areas if 54 is known for having big bulls... Any ideas?

I've done a lot of research trying to find out why there aren't more people putting in for this area, but nothing adds up... Any help would be great!

I know a few guys that archery hunt it. Some have good luck and others have none. With all the surrounding units getting cut on tags {and some other factors} most local people are migrating to the bighorns for a archery hunt.

I have personally been in the unit but I have never hunted it myself.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-14 AT 08:58PM (MST)[p]One reason is probably that only 4 tags were issued last year for the two PP draw and none in the random draw, so maybe people feel it's not worth messing with. Are you aware that the elk units up in that area were revamped for the 2014 season? If you're not, you may want to look at the new map in the application section for elk. 54 is now huge and goes way east over to Greybull and covers all of what used to be 65 and the latter was eliminated. It is just a guessing game right now as to how many tags will be issued in the draws for the different types in the new 54 this coming year and the other units that were redone up that way.

Many of the big bulls don't migrate into 54 until after the archery season is over. Grizzly bears are also a problem for archery hunters who like to use their calls. Just ask anyone that has hunted that unit with stick and string.

I did see that 65 is now 54 and part of 121 is now part of 54 too... I'm assuming that that would increase the amount of tags because they increased the size of the area...?

Where do most people tend to hunt? In the higher country in what used to be 54? Or do they spend a lot of time in what used to be 65?

My brother and I both have 4 NR pp and we want to do a backpack hunt for 6+ days. We can hunt 300" OTC bulls in Utah every year, so if we are going to fork up $600+ we'd like to make it worth it and have a good hunt and a decent chance to kill some 330"+ bulls... Do you guys think this type 9 hunt is worth it? I've been told that it's a really great hunt and it's definitely worth it... but I've been told that it's not worth it as well... Not sure what to think...

Last night I looked at a 2013 booklet and now just looked at the new map and WOW. they really did make that area big

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom