Type 9 tags

Bookhead

Very Active Member
Whats everyone's opinion on type 9 tags and why isnt there type 9 tags for every area and species? Seems to me it would increase opportunity for eveyone

Because they could obviously figure out the average success rate for archery in a given area and give out tags accordingly not taking much away from the gun hunters quota and giving out more tags for an archery season in which there would be less people in the field during gun season. Seems like 2 birds with one stone to me

Why? Because we as residents want to hunt with both archery and rifle. There is no reason to change. Except maybe limit NR more and make them chose either 1 or 9.

we really do not need to change it at all. Last thing I want is anything to bring in more hunters...

I guess most people are mostly gun hunters that hunt with a bow for something to do in september rather then actual bowhunters

I guess most people are mostly gun hunters that hunt with a bow for something to do in september rather then actual bowhunters
humm, spent about 25 days archery hunting this year then took my bull with a rifle after 1 day of hunting. What does that make me /
No more Type 9 tags , we have enough. Increases pressure in areas that use to be great archery hunting.
We do not want to choose our season.

So many do not understand the 7250 NR quota. More NR Type 9 tags would not increase overall NR opportunity. It would simply reduce the number of NR gen tags. For this reason only, I could possibly be talked into the idea of more NR Type 9's.

I've gone in front of the Commission in opposition to more type 9 tags and I'll do it again.

I love my archery hunting, but do not want WY to go down that path. I will speak against type 9 as well. However, if we went down the path of offering more type 9 tags. Only for Nonresidents and every tag offered as type 9 has to take away from the NR Quota. Just like mulecreek said above.

Just when I thought there would be fireworks!
I'm making a call to slightly sober and elkster to get this ball rolling, and buying popcorn! :LOL: ?

One big issue I have with these type 9 tags is the harvest rate is much higher on these hunts than the historical past. Historically we had a 10-12% success rate on archery. I remember seeing one Type 9 unit with an incredibly high 42% harvest success rate. It seems the Wildlife Commission is not using newer updated harvest data of much higher successful harvest on these type 9 hunts when setting harvest quotas. I attribute this to hunters now have to make it happen so they hunt harder and longer and mostly the technology advances in archery equipment has exploded and many more hunters are now successful than past days when we just used recurve bow in the old days, no leverage gain and no crossbows.

One big issue I have with these type 9 tags is the harvest rate is much higher on these hunts than the historical past. Historically we had a 10-12% success rate on archery. I remember seeing one Type 9 unit with an incredibly high 42% harvest success rate. It seems the Wildlife Commission is not using newer updated harvest data of much higher successful harvest on these type 9 hunts when setting harvest quotas. I attribute this to hunters now have to make it happen so they hunt harder and longer and mostly the technology advances in archery equipment has exploded and many more hunters are now successful than past days when we just used recurve bow in the old days, no leverage gain and no crossbows.
Which really brings us back to a bigger issue. We need mandatory reporting and good data. I would never believe that even with a crossbows we would see archery success pushing 50% on bull elk. I have a great example of this... A few years ago in Colorado I always hunted an OTC unit with low elk numbers. It was not a good unit at all, but it was close to home and I knew where the elk were. There were seldom any NR in the unit and those that did show up always left after 2 days of not seeing anything. At any rate the one big ridge is where most all us locals hunted. That year my self and 1 other guy were the only ones to tag out. Out of 20+ locals who hunt the area. The next year the stats rolled out. Our unit showed 66% harvest success on Archery elk. When we dug in me and the other guy both answered our harvest survey. It was us and 1 other guy. They only got surveys from 3 people for archery elk in the unit...

This year in WY, my family held 12 tags. We only had surveys on 2. Funny part is the 2 we surveyed on were our back up cow tags. Which we did not need since we killed other animals...

Mandatory reporting would be really nice.

I like how things are. I can archery and rifle hunt with the tag that i get. Keep as is.

I have recently taken up muzzleloader hunting. I don't feel entitled to a muzzleloader season. I can simply use my muzzleloader during rifle season. It doesnt decrease or increase my success. My success is based on scouting and time in the feild. Ok i lied. Lots of luck at times?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom