typicalmuley's 2013 Outdoor Experiences.

typicalmuley

I am excited for another year of the Hunting Adventure Challenge. I look forward to seeing the new stories and pictures from this year's participants.

I will start with some of the experiences I had this past Saturday.

Saturday, Two of my brothers and I went for a drive to put up some trail cameras and go scouting. We were not expecting what transpired during our outing. We were driving along and spotted three antelope and slowed down to take a closer look. As we got looking we noticed they were staring at something close to them. We noticed what we thought at first glimpse was coyote, but almost instantly I realized that it was too big to be a coyote. It was a Wolf! There was a two-track road that paralleled there position, so we turned down it. As soon as we turned on the two-track the wolf took of on a run toward the tree line with the antelope in hot pursuit. We stopped and I got picture of him while he was running away. A few hundered yards later he stopped and the antelope stopped, I snapped another photo. We continued to drive down the two-track trying to get a closer picture, but he kept heading for the tree line. Finally, he stopped again and I got one last picture of him before he disappeared into the trees.

We all thought, "that was weird, was that wolf trying to catch those antelope". We turned around and got back on the main road. We went about a 1/4 mile down the road and noticed something out in the field. We drove out to the thing in the field and realized it was a dead elk. We got out to take a look at the elk. It had only been dead for about an hour or so, and about 2/3 of the hind quarter was eaten. The wolf must have just barely got done feeding on the elk when we showed up. The elk was a yearling bull and it looked like the wolf had hamstrung it to help bring it down. We took a few pictures of the carcass and headed back to the road.

As we started back down the road we had mixed emotions. On one hand, what we had just experienced was pretty cool. On the other, that was on less bull we get to see and chase in the future. If only wolf season was still open. We thought about putting a trail camera on the carcass, but decided aginst it.

We scouted for a while seeing a handful of antelope, a mule deer and a whitetail. We also saw a golden eagle and got some pictures. We hung the trail cameras and headed for home. Here is a few of the other pictures we took during our outing. Hopefully, I get some good picture on the trail cameras so I can share a few of those.

Enjoy the moment and relive the memories.

Friday evening after work my brother and I went out scouting. It was a pretty eventful evening. We saw a variety of wildife. During our outing we saw at least 125 Elk, 15 Mule Deer, 5 Moose, 10 Antelope, and 1 Bobcat. I was kind of bummed because, before we could get a picture of the bobcat it disappeared. Two of the mule deer we saw were bucks with some good growth already started. We saw a lot of elk, but no branch antler bulls. We had a really good time and I am optimistic about the upcoming hunting season. He are a few of the pictures we got during our outing. Sorry for the blurry images, it was getting pretty close to dark.

It has been a pretty good couple a weeks. Got good news my dad drew a moose tag. We are both super excited about it. He is 70 this year, so I don't know how many more hunts he has left. He does have a long season to find one though it runs from Aug. 30 to Nov. 23. Hopefully we can find him a good one by the time the season opens. We hope to find him a good moose like this one.

I have had a chance to get out and scout a bit. I checked my trail cams and took some photos of what we have seen in the past couple weeks.

Well we went out on Saturday to check the trail cameras and do a little scouting. We only saw one elk. They are all in the thick stuff with their calves. We did see 6 deer: two bucks, two does, and two whitey does. We also saw quite a few pronghorns. We didn't get pictures of the elk or the whitey does they took off to fast. We did get a picture of the two bucks we saw. The one buck looks pretty young, but has good potential. Here are a couple pictures of him, the other buck, and one of the does we saw.

Here is a picture of some of the pronghorn among the white wyethia flowers.

We did get some really good pictures on the trail cameras as well. As you recall from my earlier post my dad drew a moose tag. We got a couple pictures of what we think could be a potential candidate for this fall. It is hard to tell this early in the season, but he is the best one we have seen in the unit so far. Here is a couple of pictures of him.

We got a good variety of wildlife on our trail cameras: foxes, bears, bull elk, bull moose, bucks, does, cow elk, and even a sand hill crane.

They were all cows and calves and were calling back and forth to each other. It is always fun to get into the middle of elk talking to each other. We check out a new hunting spot this weekend as well. We ran into a ton of elk sign and a grizzly bear track. We saw a couple of whitetails and a mule deer doe as well, as we were checking the area out. We got a few good trail cam pictures this time, again another possible candidate for my Dad?s moose tag, a few other pictures of deer and elk.

We went out to check the trail cameras last Friday. We had a pretty eventful evening. We saw a good variety of game. We saw a moose, some pronghorns, whitetails, muleys, and some elk. We got some pretty good pictures on the trail cameras as well.

Went out again all day Saturday to check trail cameras and just enjoy the outdoors. On our way to check our first trail cam we ran into a few antelope and doe mule deer. When we got to my trail camera the SD card was completely full. Given it was only a 2 GB card, but we were surprised. We realized that it had only taken pictures until Tuesday before it was completely full. So, we missed a half a week of pictures as a result. Here are a few pictures of the doe and few from the trail camera.

After that we headed out to go check out the other trail cameras. On our way there we say this respectable buck pronghorn right next to the road so we decided to take a few pictures. We got up to the first trail camera a checked out what was on the card. We got quite a few pictures, but our memory card had become corrupted so we lost about 156 pictures. Here is a picture of the buck pronghorn and some from the trail camera.

We continued our hike onto the last trail camera. On our way we stopped to get a drink of water and rest for a minute. All of the sudden down the hill we noticed a big bull elk stand up in a patch of small pines. I got my camera and snapped some quick shots before he disappeared. As he was leaving another bull stepped out, not quite as big, but still a nice bull. The second bull didn't give me time to snap his picture before he disappeared. We got up to the last trail camera and checked the card. All we had on the card were elk pictures and mostly bulls. He is a few pictures of the nice bull and some from the trail camera. Sorry for the blurry pictures in a hurry and no tripod.

After checking the trail cameras, we decided to go check out a few spots and do some fishing. We found a spot that could be a good place to check out come archery season. We found a nice wet meadow with three of four wallows in it. We also found a little stream about 5 feet wide that held some fish, so we did a little fishing. We caught a few, but they were just little guys barely 5 or 6 inches. We saw a variety of wildlife during the rest of the day, a couple of whiteys, a dozen or so muleys, a moose, and about a 100 elk. Here are a few of the pictures that we captured.

I went out on the 6th of July and we got rained on pretty good. I managed to get a few pictures of during the rainstorm, but not many. I did have some good pictures on my trail camera however. Here are few pictures from the weekend of the 6th and from the trail cameras for that week.

We went out scouting and to check the trail cameras on the 14th of July. We saw quite a bit of wildlife during our expedition, unfortunately my SD card in camera got corrupted somehow, so we lost all the pictures. We checked the trail cameras however and got some really good pictures. On the trail cameras we found another possible candidate for my Dad?s moose tag. We also got a couple of pictures of a wolf, some pretty good bull elk, and a few deer. Here are the pictures from the 14th.

Last Saturday My brother and I went to check on our trail cameras and do a little scouting. We were kind of disappointed because we did not see any deer. We did see a couple of herds of elk totally about 100 ? 120. We did see a bear, but it took off to fast to get a picture. We got some good pictures on the trail cameras including a smoker bull elk. Here are some of the pictures from Saturday.

Well it has been a while since my last post, so I thought I had better catch you up to speed. I have a variety of pictures both on my point and shoot and trail cameras. I am really getting excited of the season to start. I have been seeing better bucks on my scouting adventures and on my trail cameras. There are a ton of different bull elk to chase in my hunting area too. I think they tell the story better than I can so here they are.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom