U.S. Financial reality

D

D13er

This is the hidden truth and republicans and democrats are equally to blame. In reality "we" are to blame.

Rules 'hiding' trillions in debt
Liability $516,348 per U.S. household
By Dennis Cauchon
USA TODAY

The federal government recorded a $1.3 trillion loss last year ? far more than the official $248 billion deficit ? when corporate-style accounting standards are used, a USA TODAY analysis shows.

The loss reflects a continued deterioration in the finances of Social Security and government retirement programs for civil servants and military personnel. The loss ? equal to $11,434 per household ? is more than Americans paid in income taxes in 2006.

"We're on an unsustainable path and doing a great disservice to future generations," says Chris Chocola, a former Republican member of Congress from Indiana and corporate chief executive who is pushing for more accurate federal accounting.

Modern accounting requires that corporations, state governments and local governments count expenses immediately when a transaction occurs, even if the payment will be made later.

The federal government does not follow the rule, so promises for Social Security and Medicare don't show up when the government reports its financial condition.

Bottom line: Taxpayers are now on the hook for a record $59.1 trillion in liabilities, a 2.3% increase from 2006. That amount is equal to $516,348 for every U.S. household. By comparison, U.S. households owe an average of $112,043 for mortgages, car loans, credit cards and all other debt combined.

Unfunded promises made for Medicare, Social Security and federal retirement programs account for 85% of taxpayer liabilities. State and local government retirement plans account for much of the rest.

This hidden debt is the amount taxpayers would have to pay immediately to cover government's financial obligations. Like a mortgage, it will cost more to repay the debt over time. Every U.S. household would have to pay about $31,000 a year to do so in 75 years.

The Financial Accounting Standards Advisory Board, which sets federal accounting standards, is considering requiring the government to adopt accounting rules similar to those for corporations. The change would move Social Security and Medicare onto the government's income statement and balance sheet, instead of keeping them separate.

The White House and the Congressional Budget Office oppose the change, arguing that the programs are not true liabilities because government can cancel or cut them.

Chad Stone, chief economist at the liberal Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, says it can be misleading to focus on the government's unfunded liabilities because Medicare's financial problems overwhelm the analysis.

"There is a shortfall in Medicare and Medicaid that is potentially explosive, but that is related to overall trends in health care spending," he says.

CAN SOMEBODY DO SOME MATH FOR ME PLEASE???

I'D LIKE TO KNOW:::

IN 2000,HOW MUCH MONEY WOULD IT HAVE TAKEN FOR EACH HOUSEHOLD TO PAY THE NATIONAL DEBT OFF???

HOW ABOUT 2007???

((( I'M TALKNIG ABOUT PAYING IT OFF IN ONE YEAR,NOT 75!!!)))

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING HOW BIG OF A HOLE WE CAN DIG???

I'm glad to this getting some attention. it's serious in my opinion, many people even stoner Limbaugh say the debt is no concern and we'll grow out of it. since we aren't even keeping up with interest anyone who pays their bills should know better.

NO Kidding. Big time.

And to top it all off, our current Leg. and
Pres. wan't to allow a Zillllliooonn illegal Mexicans
to come and join us, sleep under my covers at night, eat
my food, dip my snuff, drink my beer, bang my old lady,
slap my skiter's, ect. ect. ect. ect.ect.......

Bull-Shat, I say.

I'll slap my own skeeter's.

The only way this can be stopped is the voteing booth,
or an all out riot.

Folks don't have the gumtion for either anymore.

And It's sad.

I'd like to get involved in either.

fyi
lrv

In all seriousness my friends?. I have struggled with this issue for a long time. I honestly believe the only way to survive this crisis is to avoid the same mistake our government makes? ?Get outta debt? any way you can. I see so many young families driving vehicles they can't really afford, living in homes that 50 years ago would be considered apartment buildings. Make money work for you; don't prostitute your life for things that don't really matter. I'm not a doomsdayer but if you think it can't happen, talk to someone that has studied the effects of the ?Great Depression?.

I don't think it's a matter of if it's going to happen but when. Those that have mortgaged beyond their means will suffer. Those that are debt free will survive.

RUS

Rus,

You've nailed it squarely on the head.

In more way's than one. I'm right there with you,
(as best I can with what my wife spends).

You guys are correct. And it's sad that that's
the way it is.

But it is.

lrv

Good post D13er. This is a very serious problem that gets far too little attention. Anyone that tells you our debt doesn't matter is a fool. It matters in more ways that just the actual number vs our GDP.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

Exerpts pulled from CMI-Gold and Silver

-The Congressional Budget Office forecasts that by 2013 "the government is likely to be spending more to pay interest on the debt than on all domestic appropriations put together."

-The federal government now has more than $8 trillion in official (on the books) debt. Only three years ago, gross public debt stood at $6 trillion. For those calculating, that is a one-third debt increase in only three years. The United States took 226 years to run up a debt of $6 trillion. In three years, an additional $2 trillion was tacked on.

-Unfunded U.S. government liabilities?Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, military pensions, federal workers' pensions, and other promise such as picking up the tabs for bankrupt corporate pensions?will reach $50 trillion by the end of the year and climb to $70 trillion by the end of Bush's second term.

Nemont

Some of us have been crying about this for years. I'm glad you guys see the seriousness in it. Too bad our president doesn't see it.

LAST EDITED ON May-30-07 AT 10:43AM (MST)[p] I always wonder at what point do the nations that are loaning us this money decide we're a bad investment? when and if they do it will really hit the fan, even if we have an economy left think of what interst rates will be. no doubt the reason we let counties like China pull crap and still do business as usual is the fear of them cutting our allowance. this is like giving a teenage girl a credit card with no limit and waiting ten years to look at the bill, shocking, but it's time to face reality and get to work on it.

D, hallelujah, here?s a little melody for ya, you've all head the song, ?Mamma?s comen-round to daddy?s way of thinken . . .? right, so here?s my rendition for you D, "d13r's comen-round to tshots way of thinken, d13r's comen-round to tshots way of thinken - do, da, ta-da, ta-da . . .

It must now be a "real" issue for us to deal with. I've found new hope for you D.

LAST EDITED ON May-30-07 AT 03:34PM (MST) by TFinalshot (moderator)[p]* No foul, obscene, vulgar, sexually oriented, hateful, threatening, or abusive language is allowed. This includes words that include * and $ that are used in place of characters. Most people still know what the word is and what it means. It is offensive and will be removed.

tfinal, your love of government programs and more tightly controlled federal land is a BIG expense that you seem to like. I want ALL government small. My eyes haven't just been opened.

JB

LAST EDITED ON May-30-07 AT 09:22PM (MST) by TFinalshot (moderator)[p]* Please, do not post messages that question our moderating. If you have a question or complaint, please email us. If posted on the board, it will be removed.

Tfinal,

JB

looked like some selective moderating there. Do it to all or don't do it.

Back to the main question.

Why did the government create the FED in 1913? So a private company run by the world's largest banks can charge the Government interest on money that we authorized them to produce?

There is no actual value. It should go back to the gold standard.....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1616088001333580937

bobcat when Bush took office the debt was 5.6 trillion, today it's over 8.8 trillion. so it's up well over 50%, my calculator doesn't have enough numbers to do the math . for a conservative Lil' Bush doesn't seem to conservative does he?

I didn't queation your moderating, I said you are offensive and should be removed.

JB

He's not even a mod for this fourm, T how about you stick to the camra fourm!!!!

Rus I agree with you whole heartedly on that one, do everything you can to get out of debt now or you will find it extreamly hard to do later.

Jake H. MM Member since 1999.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

HEY dude!!!

A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO!!!

RUMSFIELD GOT WORD THAT 3 BRAZILION TROOPS HAD BEEN KILLED IN IRAQ!!!

HE FIGURED IT WAS HIS DUTY TO REPORT IT TO LITTLE GEORGE!!!

SO HE CALLS A MEETING!!!

RUMSFIELD QUIETLY TELLS LITTLE GEORGE:SORRY TO REPORT BUT 3 BRAZILION TROOPS HAVE BEEN KILLED IN IRAQ SIR!!!

LIL GEORGE LOWERS HIS HEAD FOR A FEW MINUTES!!!

THEN SAYS:RUMMY,AH,HOW MANY IS A BRAZILION???

THE ONLY bobcat WITH MATH PROBLEMS LIL GEORGE CAN'T FIGURE!!!

LAST EDITED ON May-31-07 AT 09:00PM (MST)[p]thats how China plans to take over the US, call in their loans...eh?

oh... I'm sorry that not realistic

Nobody said China would take the country over, but don't think we don't take it into account when we have issues with them. we can't do business with Castro but we can with China, isn't China a communist country? yeah a comunist country we owe hundreds of billions to, if Castro could loan us a few bucks he'ld be our bud. debt is bad no matter who you owe it to but a country like China giving us our allowance just makes it worse.

And now "our" government is going to force us to add 12 million plus uneducated, unskilled illegals to the already over burdened social services programs. AND leave the door wide open for more.

Good idea!

Eelgrass,

Just think how many of those illegals are possible terrorists. Sleep well. Ain't bush great!?

LAST EDITED ON May-31-07 AT 10:16PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-31-07 AT 10:02?PM (MST)

It is simple economics people.
Dude and T.....your farmers and ranchers.....correct? You trade a commodity for a dollar value. If that value is not up to standards...you find a new buyer....correct?
I like your thoughts on this post.
We need to find new buyer, or sellers in this case (buyers if you take into account how much grain they get from us at NOTHING!).
Some of these so called economist's say....oh no.....we can't do without them (china, taiwan, mexico..etc.) BS! We did without them before...we WILL do with out them again if the American people...and more so,.....the gov't will allow it! Don't fall into the trap of "we can't afford American made".
Get rid of them if they won't trade evenly. It's called a "FAIR trade act"......a real one. It needs to be instituted NOW with no arguments and you will see how these robbers will turn around their stories (after a small amount of time of course) and realize that they need us WAY MORE than we need them! (I am not talking about the so called "NAFTA" that allows us to get raped from other countries. That thing is the biggest crock of crap in the toilet)!
This will eliminate the deficit in less than 3 years if you do the math. It's all numbers boys.
And what the hell is the idea of buying and selling with a communist country anyway??????
Let's just go ahead and supply them with the capitol to manufacture weapons to blow us to kingdom come! HMMMMMMMMM!?
Archerman - Archery hunting addict!

archerman we finally agree on something. I'm not sure we can or should stop imports but we shouldn't promote or encourage importing products and exporting jobs like we have been. you're right it's not fair trade when your competition pays $12 week and you pay $12 an hour. at the very least as Americans we should buy American goods when ever possible, it seems when you say that anymore people look at you like you're a racist but I feel stongly about it . sometimes you don't have a choice but I ALWAYS buy American when I can as long as the price isn't absurd, and even then I do if the quality is important to me.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-07 AT 09:46AM (MST)[p]Can either of you explain why America and Americans are consuming such large quantities of Chinese made goods? Is it just because Americans are unpatriotic and would rather buy Chinese then American?

Nemont

That's right many times you have no choice, or with many things you don't know where it came from , like food. who would have guessed they were buying poison Chinese grain in their dog food? over 50 people dead fron anti freeze ingredients in Chinese tooth paste, you get what you pay for.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-07 AT 11:13AM (MST)[p]The question was not that there isn't a choice. The question is why are Chinese goods flooding into the U.S.? There are a couple of issues such as the under valuing of the Yuan but why is China out competing U.S. factories?

Why aren't there any American made Television Sets?

Nemont

Nemont,
Again, it is just economics. Our government, in all their infinite wisdom, has opened those trade routes and are allowing the US busineses, which supply us, to purchase these inferior products at dirt cheap. (because of cheap labor). With most American businesses, of course it is all about the almighty dollar. They don't care that in the long run it will ruin our economy, they are looking at the short term millions/billions/trillions that they can make right now.
Very sad, but true. It needs to be closed down immidiately and trade only allowed on an EXACT even par with any other country. The businesses are so powerful, that they lobby against this so they can continue to reap record profits. Most businesses that try to avoid buying from other countries are just getting hammered and end up going out of business because of the low price competition from others purchasing from abroad.
Dude said it great.....we pay $12/hr......they pay $12/ wk or even per month!

Some people will say that our goods or technology is not up to par....that is bogus. Look at the lifspan of american made technological products compared to imported tech. BIG difference, or at least used to be. The American manufacturers are even now building in shorter lifspans on equipment just to keep sales going enough to stay alive.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom