Umatilla NWR#3

O

OregonBighorn

What is so special about this hunt? Why does it take so long to get? I realize it is one of the few one deer hunts left on the antlerless draw but does it hold great trophy potential or what?

deffinatly the best trophy potential in a 600 series tag. the reason it takes so long is a couple yrs ago they did away with the "800" series tags. there were alot of tags in the 600 and the 800 series that had 7-8 points each for the better hunts. once they got rid of the 800 series the combined your points. now there are quit a few guys with 16+ points in the 600 series. with only 2 or 3 tags for that hunt it will NEVER get to a point that you will be garenteed the tag.

Thanks that clears things up. I didn't plan on waiting that long anyway. Just saving my points for when my three year old turns nine. Hopefully they have a decent tag then since I will have twelve points for her.

Duck hunting the refuge this Christmas and glassed about 20 bucks feeding throughout the day. Two 180 class bucks and one that could of gone more. Any of them would of been easy pickens, and I doubt it would be much harder during season... though I could be wrong. It's hard for me to imagine that it's not Oregon's best (and easiest) trophy hunt.

At times there has been some very good deer in the past on the refuge. There are also some non-typical genes in that herd. It is not a tag I will draw in my lifetime though.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom