Unique Unit 13 Opportunity

Hunt4Elk6x6

Hey everyone, my brother and I have a unique opportunity in Unit 13 this year. I drew a late rifle deer tag (Nov. 9-13) and he drew a late muzzy elk tag (Nov. 16-20). The hunts are back to back, which gives us an opportunity to find and keep an eye on some bulls while we hunt deer the week before. Given that we'll be there for two weeks straight for our hunts in November, we're struggling to find time to make it down there from Utah to scout this summer, though we're sure going to try. We have been putting our heads together and doing as much e-scouting as possible, but nothing beats boots-on-the-ground experience. With a baby on the way, family obligations, and a couple of demanding jobs between the two of us, we're no different than any of you, but we'd certainly appreciate any advice, tips, or places to check out for our hunts, as well as good places to camp as we'll be bringing a trailer. We've never been to Unit 13, but have been in surrounding units. My priority would be to get my brother his first bull and if I get a buck, well that is just icing on the cake. We're a couple of hard workers and aren't afraid of hiking hard. Thanks in advance and if there is anything we might be able to do for you, just ask. Thanks!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-19 AT 02:27PM (MST)[p]Scouting in the summer does no good as far as finding elk for the winter hunts. Save you money and time and just do your elk scouting during your deer hunt. Search for deer and elk during hunting hours then spend rest of day getting to know the roads and find as much elk country as possible. I have been scouting the Gila for years for elk during my bow deer hunts I just need to draw the damn tag now.
I would definitely scout the entire deer hunt and eat a deer tag rather than the elk tag. And you may get lucky and kill both.

>hire a guide

Maybe for elk. IMO, the only reason for hiring a guide to hunt deer in 13 would be to hunt on private property.

That late season rifle is near worthless without prior scouting and planning. Just being honest. I ate one last year and hunted my butt off. Youre gonna have a tough time scouting for elk if you want to get into deer. The tip I'll give is that I have the same elk tag, and I won't be taking a camper.

Thanks, everybody! I appreciate your help and feedback. I know we've got a challenge ahead of us, but I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully we find success. I'll be sure to share if we do. Thanks again!

My wife and I drew the first muzzleloader season for elk. Hunt starts October 12. Hit me up a week after that and I'll share what I get in to. I have a not so secret spot that most people pass up. It is a challenge on sealing the deal there if you have not had a bunch of trial and error, but I have been there done that and learned the trick. Good chance at filling a tag for sure.

I just got back from the unit doing some scouting for 1st season archery elk. I think that's going to be a super tough deer tag. I only saw a handful of deer, no bucks in 3.5 days. Since you don't seem adamant on filling your deer tag vs getting your brother an elk I would more or less spend your deer season scouting for elk and maybe you'll get lucky and cross paths with a decent buck. It's easy hiking and there are roads galore. I did see a BLM campground down by Datil. Best of luck!

Find WATER! Just returned tonight from scouting for a buddy with the 2nd archery season tag. Most dirt tanks are dry, found a few springs still flowing. We were in the southern portion of 13 , lots of wild horses are doing damage. Still praising God i didn't get bit by the Mohave Rattlesnake I was 2 ft from....wretched Vipers .

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom