Unit 081 deer 2022

Robiland

Very Active Member
Did anyone on here have the deer tag for this unit this year? Or know of anyone that had the tag and how did they do? We were out there 2 years ago on a slim snow year, so just wondering if the snow made the difference?

Thanks

I know of one Jr hunter that took a young 4 point toward the end of rifle season. I also heard that several of the PIW tagholders ended up out there as a last ditch effort and ended up not filling tags.----SS

Too much time spent getting unstuck is what I heard. Everyone hunting from main access roads . Snow up to the knees of guys trying to get away from the roads

Too much time spent getting unstuck is what I heard. Everyone hunting from main access roads . Snow up to the knees of guys trying to get away from the roads
Had friends go and experience the same...they did harvest a small 4x4 from what I heard, could be the same group?

Talked my son into this on his last youth year and he drew it. Between getting a late start due to my Dads Sheep and Daughters Bull tag and then all the weather that hit, he wasn’t too impressed or excited and was not concerned about a trophy! Felt bad as I knew this tag could be good. Went the last weekend of Muzzleloader season and the roads were just bad enough to keep us out of where we’ve previously had success. Seen a handful of small bucks off main road was all. Went back on Dec 20 for rifle and was getting into a fair amount of Deer and sign but the roads were still trash! He decided he just wanted to harvest and shot the first one he could and took a meat buck and we went home. Sure wish we could have got around better and wish he would have held out longer but I’ve never told my kids what they can and can’t shoot! Tough year up there!

Talked my son into this on his last youth year and he drew it. Between getting a late start due to my Dads Sheep and Daughters Bull tag and then all the weather that hit, he wasn’t too impressed or excited and was not concerned about a trophy! Felt bad as I knew this tag could be good. Went the last weekend of Muzzleloader season and the roads were just bad enough to keep us out of where we’ve previously had success. Seen a handful of small bucks off main road was all. Went back on Dec 20 for rifle and was getting into a fair amount of Deer and sign but the roads were still trash! He decided he just wanted to harvest and shot the first one he could and took a meat buck and we went home. Sure wish we could have got around better and wish he would have held out longer but I’ve never told my kids what they can and can’t shoot! Tough year up there!
Smart kid!

Year after year the same story from this “trophy” unit. It does make me laugh running into a disappointed first timer out there tho. I had a cow tag this year and farted around out there a few days. Plenty of 140’s and 2x4’s to be had. Sadly, ppl would rather eat that tag than kill a poor genetic POS 2x4 on their way out. So those bucks keep breeding and that genetic gets more prevalent.

I took a 3x4 on the last evening of my muzzleloader hunt. Beautiful country, but not impressed with quality for being a trophy unit. I did not hunt the whole season as we needed to get the 5th wheel safely back home by beating a storm. Saw plenty of elk as well. We did get to experience all elements of weather. We covered a lot of ground by vehicle and glassed miles of country with 2 BTX's. As mentioned above, lots of smaller bucks and 2x4's.

I took a 3x4 on the last evening of my muzzleloader hunt. Beautiful country, but not impressed with quality for being a trophy unit. I did not hunt the whole season as we needed to get the 5th wheel safely back home by beating a storm. Saw plenty of elk as well. We did get to experience all elements of weather. We covered a lot of ground by vehicle and glassed miles of country with 2 BTX's. As mentioned above, lots of smaller bucks and 2x4's.
Sounds fun did you see any good bulls?

Year after year the same story from this “trophy” unit. It does make me laugh running into a disappointed first timer out there tho. I had a cow tag this year and farted around out there a few days. Plenty of 140’s and 2x4’s to be had. Sadly, ppl would rather eat that tag than kill a poor genetic POS 2x4 on their way out. So those bucks keep breeding and that genetic gets more prevalent.
Tell ‘em how you really feel Mark?

081 is the most overrated tag in Nevada. Followed by 231.
Then add Pilot Mt.
Agree 100%
This tag is still riding a reputation from 20 years ago. I grew up hunting 081 and I don't even apply for it anymore. The late hunts have been killing every buck over 3 years old for a very long time. Needs to go back to the standard season dates (like 6 and 7) so it can recover for a while.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom