Unit 1,2b,2c early archery

ktg

I drew an elk tag in AZ in 2012 and that summer got a herniated disc in my neck, so I ate the tag. That means I had 8 points this year. I was thinking that my wife had the same points as I have when we decided to 'shoot for the stars' and applied for Unit 1,2b,2c and had no intention of drawing this year. Well, turns out she had enough points to draw, so now we are completely unprepared and will likely only be able to hunt the last week of the season. I'd love to hire a guide, but that's not in the finances. Anyone have any helpful tips or places to start when we get there?

Congrats to Your wife on drawing a very good archery elk tag. A lot of effort needed by You &/or Others to make this hunt a success for a mature bull. Hunting last 7 days , this year may not be best ? Hard to tell where best hunt opps will be if not their before hunt begins and during ... Good Luck, use all Your options available for making Your wife's hunt better,
Bruce & SilverGrand

That's an awesome tag and elk are everywhere. It is still probably one of the best hunts I have ever been on. Congrats and have a great hunt.

I'd hunt the last week of the hunt. Those dates are the better dates for rutting action during your hunt. Also some of the hunt pressure will be gone, the weather might cool some. We have had that tag in the family quite a bit. The archery tags start on the 10th this year, which is a little early, they should be rutting better around the 20-24th.

I also had 17 and didn't draw archery. From what I know it will depend on your expectations, If your after any five or six point and a lot of fun it will be a great experience. If your after a big mature bull you'll have your work cut out for you but just soak it in and enjoy.

stick to unit 1. unit 2 isn't worth your time if you don't know it or have access to private. There are great bulls in unit 1 and it can be a great hunt. Be patient and willing to pass good bulls in order to find a great one. my advice would be to cover country early on in the truck until you can find pockets of hot bulls and then hunt those pockets. I killed my bull in 2012 in unit 1 only after covering loads of country to find where bulls were being active. The whole unit holds elk. cedars, pines, aspens, burns... it all has elk. hunt hard and enjoy.

So for those of us with 17 points that didn’t draw how many did it take this year?? Thanks and good luck!

So for those of us with 17 points that didn’t draw how many did it take this year?? Thanks and good luck!

Untitled.png

Just curious but why wouldn't you spend the $5 and get points guard? Having 19 points and leaving it to chance is crazy. Crap happens all the time. My Cousin, who lives in Florida drew a rifle elk hunt last year. 2 weeks before the hunt he climbed up on his Elliptical machine, slipped and Fractured his ankle. Needless to say his hunt was over and he had to have surgery. You never know. With 19 points and no point guard I would be wearing 3 masks just to be safe.

Just curious but why wouldn't you spend the $5 and get points guard? Having 19 points and leaving it to chance is crazy. Crap happens all the time. My Cousin, who lives in Florida drew a rifle elk hunt last year. 2 weeks before the hunt he climbed up on his Elliptical machine, slipped and Fractured his ankle. Needless to say his hunt was over and he had to have surgery. You never know. With 19 points and no point guard I would be wearing 3 masks just to be safe.
Like I said, I was thinking she had the same points as I have, 8.

I read the first post but didn't really explain how you thought her points were the same as yours? Because you're the only one that draw back in 2012 right?
Doesn't matter one way or the other. I have a game plan figured out. Thanks for everyone's help.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom