Unit 1 (Archery) Elk

270Whatelse

I'm thinking of applying for unit 1 non-res elk tag. I have max points so have a decent chance of drawing. Have nver been to this area and am thinking of a bow hunt in this area. I see it has alot less private/more public than 116 and 117. I've heard the elk are mostly on private in these 2 units but how about unit 1? I would think the hunter pressure would be low during bow season?? Anyone with any info to share feel free to respond or pm me.

Unit 1 only has about 10 square miles of private land (mostly in the southwest corner) in the entire unit, but it is significantly smaller than the other two. Unit 116 has about 20% public land and 117 doesn't have enough to even say there is any, so I would sure rule that one out. I doubt there would be enough hunting pressure during the bow season to not have a good hunt in unit 1. That said, I think there are a lot better units with plenty of public land and good animals to use max points on than over in that little unit. If you want to discuss that, you can PM me so I don't hog your thread.

I've hunted deer there but not Elk. Its not very high in elevation but fairly rugged. Good access though. Really pretty country with reasonable Elk populations and decent bulls. All that said I'd tend to agree with Delmag and Topgun. I'd look elsewhere with max points. GOOD LUCK. Chip

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-12 AT 02:10PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-12 AT 02:07?PM (MST)

i grew up there.
lots of National Forest.
i think the bush ranch is walk in area and its only been hunted the last couple years.
if you draw it you will stand a good chance on large bulls.
its a hard draw for residents as all the locals put in for it my brother included he has only drawn it 1 time in 20 years.
cement ridge, surprise, idol gulch, williams gulch, Welcome Wyoming are good areas to hunt.
i know a guy in sundance his place is walk in for cows and outfitted for bulls i'll PM you his name. he has his and the bush ranch.
get wyo map on a GPS and you will have lots of room to hunt.
i could have killed a 6x6 in 116 a 5x5 in area 1 and some cows in 117 during my deer hunt last season.
117 is just across the road from where i grew up.

Cmiddleton- cement ridge is a spot I always love to hunt when I am out that way. Have seen some great bucks in there.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom