unit 10 3rd..

JC

hi definately once in lifetime for me.....headed up to unit 10 for 3rd...just reaching out to anyone with good intel. I have some good pointers from a couple guys ....anybody going to be there when i am?? ..going solo so looking for someone that can have my back and vice a versa..? elk hunters? any good news on zone as well..Wish everyone well..keep safe..shoot straight. JC

I have no knowledge of Unit 10, however since it should be very good rut dates, some principles apply…. You’ll never get the tag again, so put in as much time and energy as you can to maximize the opportunity.

If it were me, I would get in the unit as many days before the season opens as possible (2-5 days) and drive every road in the unit that you can, and glass as many deer as you can, from one end of the unit to the other. Figure out the doe concentrations (the deer will likely be in pockets, and not evenly distributed). Come opening day, I’d be looking in the areas of concentration that you found during scouting, and glassing in the those areas from daylight until dark. Don’t sit in one place all day, but glass and move, and glass and move, all day long.

You’re looking for a big buck that drops his guard around the does at that time of year. The strategy is to look at as many deer as you possibly can. There’s a shooter or 3 in there somewhere.

Good luck

the gringo..yeah.. thanks for the advice...thats sorta the plan...thanks for piping in...seems very exciting

blake....going to miss you up there!! i need your inspiration!! lol...i would be laying in my bunk...hearing you fire up your machines and would think to myself...I SHOULD GET UP!! haha...thanks for the good wishes..

the gringo..yeah.. thanks for the advice...thats sorta the plan...thanks for piping in...seems very exciting
I’d be pretty excited! I’ll be there 3rd season, on a far less exclusive tag, doing the same thing. Good luck, Hope you kill a big’n!!

I still say “Kill”, and reject the PC “Harvest” (Side note)

How did your hunt go @JC I hope you had a fun hunt and killing one was icing on the cake. Maybe you're quartering him out right now?

Curious to learn as well. We've spent a fair amount of time there and didn't see one buck that got us exited. But we seen a bull that sure did.

Yeah..hey guys...had a great hunt...had lines on a couple of big boys...couldn't seal those deals...3rd season turned out pretty warm..turned down a couple bigger than what I brought home...near end got this

20211117_170810.jpg

Good deer for sure...one of my best...I'm public land Calif.guy...but on this hunt as I tried hard to get myself into a trophy hunter mode..not really used to that...but I did!! Scouted for 4 straight days before...had intelligence on 2 really good ones..saw before one I really wanted to find again!(couldnt find on public..he showed on private)saw about 200 bucks...passed 2 bigger on chip shots..some friends came in and helped ones that were familiar to area...so not going on and on ,it was one of my most fun hunts...being solo mostly was really a good feeling!! Super freestyle and fun country...deer.elk.antelope..to see..came back to town and another group of hunters were camped out near me..great group,so I got to hear storys..share their dinner..they love bbqing in evening after coming home with elk and deer...so any of you who want to know if a zone is good...I think the limited entry part of it makes it special...even if buck you got didnt beat the next dudes buck..and after all that fun I'm loving the burger...all burger! Reliving the hunt each bite..lol..I did have chances...and even 10 ft. From jnarly big old buck...who just wanted to fight 3 pointer there..thanks to all that helped..would do it again...

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom