Unit 10 Arizona Rifle Antelope

huntut

So I got my Az draw results. assumed I drew my first choice 4B after my card was hit. As is it turns out i drew my second choice, unit 10 with only 11 pts. A little research says this is a better unit? Any pointers on hunting antelope in this unit?

Large unit with antelope spread out throughout. If you are just trying to kill a buck you should be fine without much knowledge if you have the time to wonder throughout the unit for a few days. There's so much country to cover you might consider a scouting package for a bigger buck like www.northernazscouting.com

WOW !!! 11 b.p. and draw one of the best antelope tags in AZ. I would say that the modified bonus point draw system is working ... agree with Clarks' statement above , Myself having traveled, hunted, and guided in this huge unit since 1988 Antelope can be located from the Havasupai Res. and South to rt.66/I-40 & W. to E. Trespass fees will be needed to scout/hunt the "BIG BO", plenty of quality "Lopes" in other areas ? Great tag and bag a quality buck that this unit in known for.Good Luck ... Bruce & SilverGrand

Hunt the Boqiillas ( spelling ?) Ranch. I had the tag in 2016. There were numerous bucks over 80 killed that year. Mine went 92 2/8. You have a rare opportunity for sure. DO NOT waste it. Get there several days early, as many as you can and scout. Antelope hunting is not about hunting days. It’s days before and then putting one to bed and be on it at first light.

Hunt the Boqiillas ( spelling ?) Ranch. I had the tag in 2016. There were numerous bucks over 80 killed that year. Mine went 92 2/8. You have a rare opportunity for sure. DO NOT waste it. Get there several days early, as many as you can and scout. Antelope hunting is not about hunting days. It’s days before and then putting one to bed and be on it at first light.
Exactly correct !! Super rare opportunity -- once in a lifetime chance for a true Monster
B/C buck ! You hit the lottery ! Very Best chance is to hire Eli /Tony Grimmet of Pronghorn Guide Service from Phoenix metro area. Not cheap, but they are super experts !
If you DIY, get to the area like 10 days -- 2 weeks ahead & recon/ scout like never before-- not kidding about the time needed , it's a huge area to cover. Ask the Bo Ranch folks for any pointers/ tips on the locations of antelope & bucks. Look for huge long prongs & super heavy long horns & long ivory tips. Don't talk yourself into pulling the trigger, take lots of time & evaluate from fairly close ranges-- the heat waves will really distort the images-- very early day is best of all. Cooler !! You could get a 90 plus net B/C buck, they are out there but wow still tough to locate !! Best of Luck ! Jerry Gold ??

In August a few years ago I rode the train from Williams to the Grand (through unit ten) with my family. Great looking country for antelope and I was dreaming of hunting the whole time. I scanned for animals and saw zero. In Montana or Wyoming there would have been much more game around. On the train ride back to Williams about 4pm when I had pretty much given up spotting game the biggest antelope buck I have ever seen was standing right along the train tracks. I've been applying for that unit ten tag ever since. Congrats and good luck.

You got my tag thanks to the "modified point system". My 24 points would have taken it this year or last. Knock yourself out.

Zim,

You may have to wait another year as well. I did not apply this year as I had a hunt in AK. already booked. My 25 points should have me in the running in 2021.
Pronghorn from N.M. public land Muzz.
n.m (2).JPG

cabuck, Yikes glad you posted and I double checked the detailed breakdowns. In fact I failed to include this year's USUC so now I also have 25 points. I did not know we will have a mathematical chance for a preference tag next year, but it looks that way. If no other point savers jump in, there will be 6 of us vying for 3 tags, so a 50% chance. But there's always a few that jump in. Regardless, I thought it would be many years tacked on by the modified system, but maybe not so. Will have to take this into account while setting up 2021 strategies.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom