Unit 10 - Rangely Members

S

sealer

I was looking at the winter kill data posted in the Mule Deer Forum and had some questions for the MM members that live and/or frequent the Rangely area.

The posted data shows a 26% decrease for Unit 10 but 1/201 had a 28% increase and 21 had a 6% increase.

I thought this to be somewhat odd as 10 is sandwiched between these units.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thx - Drew

There were a fair number of deer wintering in 1/201 this winter. BUT THE HERD SURE AS $h!T hasn't expanded in the last year. The survey data showing a 28% increase is just one of those anomalies that happen with surveys. Range conditions, snow levels, elk movements can concentrate deer differently from one year to the next. The weather or snow on the ground on the day of the actual survey has a lot to do with the results. The deer that winter there come from CO, UT and WY. So before hunting season opens that 28% increase in the deer herd will have walked back to another state where they came from. After the 07/08 winter the deer herd is down in every unit in western CO. Get used to it, accept it.

I can see what you're saying but do you think 10 experienced the same situation as 44 or the G-Basin when the majority of the deer herd is non-migratory in 10?

I'm a RES who has been saving for this hunt and the "point creep" seems to be getting the best of me for the 3rd season.

Since I live, work, pay taxes, and hunt here I've accepted the situation but these statistics seems unpurposely slighted one way or the other. What's your opinion on 21's data? I totally agree with your points on survey data but would you say that the DOW surveys are possibly inconsistent across these units?

I'm not stirring the pot, but I'm stuck in the Metro and don't get to drive this part of the state more than 1-2 times/year. I love the idea of hunting 10 without the unlimited Elk hunters (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Thx - Drew

LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-09 AT 07:21AM (MST)[p]I have hunted GMU 10 four times(most recently in 2008) in the last six years, once with preference points and the other times with vouchers. The decline in the mule deer herd is as spectacular as the increase in the elk herd in that unit. I was there six years ago, hunting in the same drainage, when that Christenson fellow from Utah killed the 241" non-typical that is in the B&C book. Three years ago, I killed a typical that grossed 191 6/8. That unit is a shell of its former self as far as deer hunting is concerned. I hunted there last year, third rifle season, and could hardly find a deer, much less a decent buck. On the evening of the sixth day, I killed a 173" typical that was by far the best buck I saw. If you've never hunted that unit before and aren't familiar with it, I would call Laura's Corner in Rangely and speak with Laura or her husband Deuce and listen to what they have to say. They own the processing operation in Rangely. Monte Elder can also confirm what I am saying.

I think there are three factors that have contributed to the decline in the mule deer herd in this unit:

1) Lions.
2) Huge increase in the elk population displacing the deer.
3) Winter kill

I believe there are still a few really big bucks in this unit but the knowledgeable locals there last year believe the deer herd is less than 1,000 animals - a far cry from the DOW estimate.

After I thought about it, there is also a fourth factor contributing to the decline in the deer herd in GMU 10 - poor range conditions due to drought.

It has been getting plenty of rain this week about 4 inches, that is almost half what it gets in some years.

Do you know if the lion quotas are being filled for unit 10? I wonder how many are allowed? Why wouldn't the DOW double the quotas?

I live near by and spend alot of time in 10 and family used to own ground there. I'm pretty sure that lions aren't the # 1 problem, there are a few but not enough to cause the cataclismic decrease of the deer in that unit. it is truly scarry. I heard that two years ago the dow killed over 500 head on the east side of the unit for cwd, is there any truth in this? Also another thing I noticed is the sheep seemed to have increased in the wintering ground? I'm not sure but it is truly sickening. I honestly wouldn't burn your points in 10.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom