Unit 10

bragabit

How is the vegetation looking in unit 10? Radar has shown some decent rain storms over the last two weeks. Did they come before the grass dried up completely? How much rain actually hit the ground? and most importantly how is the elk horn growth looking? Thanks

Not sure if you were looking at a relectivity radar or precip, but unit 10 is dry and has been dry. Good storm went through some of the unit the last 2 days. It's as bad as I have seen it since 2002. We lost some bulls that we have watched for a couple years now and they turned up a LONG way off in another unit that was fairing the drought better. Feed is poor. Elk antler growth definitly was effected.

clarkw, are you talking about this year loosing bulls out of unit 10 or in 2002? this yr. is not going to be as good as many predicted on the top end bulls. but then again, they are still big. most BIG bulls have lost 10-20" from last yr. but there are still a lot of 350++ bulls.

a lot of fact. it's called 7 yrs. of trail camera pics of specific bulls that are 380+ type bulls. it's hard to say that a 400" bull doesn't have great horn growth, except when you compare them to the years past and they are missing entire tines and the one's they have are shorter.... i have a lot of facts, my brother probably has 200,000 pics of facts from last month to back it up. this yr. is interesting in that it's very spotty. even w/in a unit. some places are much better off than others but for the most part, all bulls are a little droughty, 5-20".

From what I have seen it isn't anything like 2002 or 2000, but it does seem like many of the bulls are down from last year. We have had a pretty good run of good-great antler growth in Western Arizona. The dynamics involving antler growth are probably more complicated than we make it out to be.

If you have a 10 or 9 tag you don't need to panic or get offended by what some ones opinion is. There will still be plenty of big bulls running around, it just wasn't the right dynamics to produce stellar antler growth. I would worry more about the extra tags in unit 10.

Also, bulls don't know unit boundaries and you would be surprised how far they can travel around the end of August to September.

Good luck on your hunts and have FUN!
Craig Steele

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-12 AT 11:33AM (MST)[p]Here's an idea... Go find the biggest bull you can find and shoot it!

Unit 10 is a fun unit. If you have a tag in there, you're gonna have fun as long as you do your homework. There will be some 390-400 bulls taken this year just like there is every year. Unless you are a guide with 15 clients lined up, don't worry about antler growth, worry about finding elk.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-12 AT 10:02PM (MST)[p]
>It's a little late

man its never too late for rain , in any part of az.

a good rain will really help the forage to get these animals ready for the fall.

I'm hoping everything gets saturated enough to start some gully washers. mpost of the tanks I've been by are dry or nearly gone .

Never too late for rain!!

rain now will still help the tops!

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-12
>AT 10:02?PM (MST)

>
>
>>It's a little late
>
>
>man its never too late
> for rain ,
>in any part of
> az.
>
>a good rain will really
>help the forage
>to get these animals
>ready for the
>fall.
>
>I'm hoping everything
>gets saturated enough to start
> some gully washers.
> mpost of the
>tanks I've been by
> are dry
>or nearly gone
>.
>
>Never too late for
>rain!!
>
>rain now will still help
>the tops!

.......You can't actually believe that rain now will actually increase antler growth on this seasons animals. This is bone that is the result of nutrition and overall health conditions from several months ago. No amount of rain now will change any antler you are looking at.

This ain't corn or carrots.

Where do you guys get this chit?????

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

who cares it is what it is now. one thing is forsure, any time you get rain in arizona it's a good thing no matter what time of year!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-12 AT 06:58PM (MST)[p]>>rain now will still help
>>the tops!
>
> Where do you guys get
>this chit?????
>
>"I could eat a bowl of
>Alphabet Soup and
>sh!t a better argument than that!"
>

another authority on antler growth
they are still growing in june/july
a good rain is gonna help - i didnt say it would produce 10-20 extra inchs-

WHAT AN ace!! must a already ate your soup as your talkin sh!t already

Even if growth is a little lacking this year, there are still some boomers walking around out there!

Rain might not help a whole lot this year, except for improving the health of the elk and hopefully bringing in a good rut. But, the rain now may keep us from cryin about poor antler growth at this time next year!! Its a good start!

www.muleybulloutfitters.com

I think his belly is swollen from the lack of food

johnny

IMG_6178.jpg

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom