Unit 102 Wyoming advice

wweaver79

Got lucky and drew a random Unit 102 mule deer tag w 9 pts in Wyoming. I plan on scouting three days prior and hunting (scouting with bow) the begging of bow season sept 1 —since I have a New Mexico antelope tag already right before bow season sept 1. I have to be back at work sept 3 and will be returning in mid October with my rifle (most likely) if needed. I have been spending a lot of time on onX maps marking spots here and there but Iam not seeing much water down lower (tanks) at all like in other areas. A few major streams however. Up higher around 8500-9000 (pine and little mtn) there is a lot of springs/seeps. Looking for advice on elevations to look at first, noticed there is no where to get away from roads so those areas don’t really exist. Lots of big broken country down low where a big buck could hide for years if not for the roads. I am assuming most people head up on into the few areas that are 8000 plus feet that look like mule deer country. Is the low stuff worth looking at? Thanks in advance for any advice, I live in TN and have a packed schedule with work and three weeks of National Guard training packed in before I leave in mid August so scouting will a couple days before hunt unfortunately.

I have seen deer all throughout the unit but mostly at higher areas and one of the largest buck I have seen, standing right next to a bull elk was pretty awesome, the locals said he was 48 inch but 40 is more realistic. My wife had the tag the next season and we never found it nor did anyone else,and he was never known to be taken.My wife took a 178 4x4. there is plenty of road but you will hardly be able to see every thing from one,and plenty of all weather type roads.It has been a few years since I have been there so I cant say what the quality is like but I never had been there while antelope and elk hunting when I did not seen some serious top end bucks.I once sat in a spot were I could have shot a antelope,deer ,elk, moose,and sage grouse and never moved.It is a wonderful place very large,and they were trying to make a wind farm there so I don't know If that has happened, the local people may have temporally got it stopped but I would think the energy company will never stop trying ,and it will be a great loss good luck

Having not been a Monster Muleys forum member for that long I appreciate all the member replies so fast!
Been on a few other forums for years. I grew up in central Washington State hunting mule deer and elk through high school, not a trophy area for sure. I have not taken a good one- 160/170 plus yet. Missed a chance in New Mexico about 10 years ago in 2b. I plan on sticking out this hunt until I accomplish that. I have about 14/15 days of vacation I can burn before I have to home anyway. I have antelope hunted near the area in 57 and loved the wide open spaces there.

Thanks for everyone’s responses and PMs. On everyone’s advice I will buy chains for the trip. Question is should I bring a four wheeler ( small Honda 250 recon) in bed of my truck, it’s a deer hunt so do not need much for cooler space.

Even with chains, if it rains on those roads you aren’t getting anywhere. The four wheeler would be good for getting up some of the bad two tracks that go to good glassing spots. It’ll save a lot of beating on your truck.

I hunted cow elk in the area several years ago. I found an ATV very handy. Saw quite a number of solid bucks but nothing spectacular. I do remember that driving the road by Little Mountain in the morning and evening was like running a gauntlet because of all the deer on the road.

Glass where you wouldn't think there would be a buck ..i seen nice bucks bedded just below a road where trucks drove by and never stopped.. pine mtn..
You will see a bunch so hold out..some smokers are around.
Try to avoid the crowds..Jester

Here is my buck, thanks to all that helped with PMs and places to begin looking. Spent a total of four days scouting and five days hunting. Looked at a lot of bucks before finding this one and could not pass him, a little under 170 or so. The cold snap last week really had them moving. Had a great time looking at animals in the area deer, moose, elk and antelope also. Again thanks for the responses.

0D693A96-5472-4655-A6C6-D19DA6DC1057.jpeg

A57EBAEC-7193-4E9C-B00B-6C35E0C5A3C5.jpeg

Hats off, no doubt there are memories to last a lifetime. A beautiful buck on top of the memories.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom