Unit 103

toklat

Have done substantial research on this unit! Other than what's posted on success rates etc. on CDOW, any recommendations on early rifle vs. late rifle hunt? Believe it takes 4-5 points to draw and don't want to burn PPs if should look at other plains Unit!
Also found mixed reviews on deer numbers over the past few years as cedar trees being cut down to curtail water absorption leading to loss of habitat! Any info appreciated regarding last year?s hunts.
Plan on visiting area b4 deadline but would appreciate any input b4 then.
Thanks.

Thanks to all for their collective responses, or better yet, lack of. In depth research, talking to the hunting fraternity (locals) at Burlington and other in the know sources have identified 103 as a good bet. Feel free to contact me and more than glad to Share what I have learned!

I have spent the past 16 years hunting deer in eastern Co., including unit 103. If you would like more information, please let me know. Bryan-Wisconsin

NoDoe, from my research and talking to folks in that part of the unit, appears there is quite a bit of public land surrounding Bomnie Reservoir. You might want to check out that unit on the CPW website to identify public land areas surrounding Bonnie Reservoir. Also appears the late hunt is better than early however, that is to be expected.
Hope that helps as a starting point. Good luck.

Toklat,

Feel free to give me call at (608) 617-2297 and I will share what I know. There is virtually no public ground in 103 other than the South Republican River State Park (formerly the Bonnie Reservoir), which is just over 13,000 acres. Most of it is excellent whitetail habitat, not so much for muleys. The park shut down in 2011 as the reservoir literally went dry. Loss of habitat due to the removal of Russian olives (not cedars) has not helped and a nasty case of EHD went thru the area a few years ago and pancaked a goodly portion of the deer herd. Access to private ground in 103 is nearly impossible as most is owned by a couple of large landowners and they do not allow hunting. With that being said, there is a healthy population of whitetails on the public ground but I would hate to see you burn your points expecting a high quality muley hunt because that just will not happen. As you are probably aware, a majority of the good hunting in eastern Co is on private ground, most of which has been locked up by outfitters, whom charge high prices for their hunts given the quality of deer that reside there.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom