Unit 11 3rd season deer

I’m from Utah and was just looking for areas where I might start looking at so I can plan, I don’t have the time to scout before hand

Unit 11’s deer herd is in a very sad state right now. You can find deer about anywhere in the unit but finding a mature buck is a VERY tall task. Very few bucks on public land live to see their 3rd let alone 4th birthday anymore. CPW has ramped the tags way up the past couple years and the quality of bucks has suffered tremendously because of it. Best advice is cover a ton of ground and be prepared to look at mostly fork horns and basket bucks and tons of other hunters. Growing up in NW Colorado I’ve spent my fair share of time in 11/211 and decided to go back and hunt elk in the 4th rifle season after not touching it for 8 years. Found plenty of elk but did not honestly see a semi mature buck in the 6 days I spent there.

Coloradoboy

TCB’s assessment is right on, from my experience the last couple of years as well. It’s really easy to hunt, and there are lots of Deer. 2 places to start:

1. Call the DOW office closest to there, and get the names and numbers of each Warden that patrols. Call each one, and they can provide great info.

2. Take a look at the Colorado hunting Atlas on the DOW website. Filter it for Mule Deer, and find the winter range, where the map shows winter range, start there… there will be lots of Deer in those areas.

Since they doubled the 3rd season tags (Hence the age class being devastated) expect HEAVY pressure in the areas with easy access and lots of Deer, but there are areas to get away from them, and find bucks.

Good luck, if your size expectation is limited, you’ll have a good time.

Unit 11’s deer herd is in a very sad state right now. You can find deer about anywhere in the unit but finding a mature buck is a VERY tall task. Very few bucks on public land live to see their 3rd let alone 4th birthday anymore. CPW has ramped the tags way up the past couple years and the quality of bucks has suffered tremendously because of it. Best advice is cover a ton of ground and be prepared to look at mostly fork horns and basket bucks and tons of other hunters. Growing up in NW Colorado I’ve spent my fair share of time in 11/211 and decided to go back and hunt elk in the 4th rifle season after not touching it for 8 years. Found plenty of elk but did not honestly see a semi mature buck in the 6 days I spent there.

Coloradoboy
Thanks for the info

TCB’s assessment is right on, from my experience the last couple of years as well. It’s really easy to hunt, and there are lots of Deer. 2 places to start:

1. Call the DOW office closest to there, and get the names and numbers of each Warden that patrols. Call each one, and they can provide great info.

2. Take a look at the Colorado hunting Atlas on the DOW website. Filter it for Mule Deer, and find the winter range, where the map shows winter range, start there… there will be lots of Deer in those areas.

Since they doubled the 3rd season tags (Hence the age class being devastated) expect HEAVY pressure in the areas with easy access and lots of Deer, but there are areas to get away from them, and find bucks.

Good luck, if your size expectation is limited, you’ll have a good time.
Thanks for the info

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom