Unit 11 Whitetails

callsalot

First off I know these type of questions about general area's aren't looked upon real favorably by some so if you don't care to give information then no problem. I just purchased whitetail only tags for unit 11 for my son and I. We've killed a fair amount of elk and Muledeer but neither of use have ever killed a whitetail so we thought it would be a fun new adventure. My questions are these if you care to give us a hand.

1. Best time to go for a week hunt?
2. Any area to start with would be great?
3. What are the general strategies for this area. Hike closed roads and glass clear cuts? Still hunt timber, hunt borderline agricultural?
4. Is snow possible or almost a sure thing?
5. Book a little hotel room or is that to far and we should bring our wall tent?

I've helped folks with CO, OR, & WY info so I'm not just a taker I try to help when I can also.

Thanks ahead of time for any help that's out there.

I have not hunted 11, but i have hunted 13,14, and 18, which are basically the same kind of terrain and the same area. I would hunt the last week, the rut is the key, and if you can Rattle, that is a plus. I hunt Whitetail just like Elk or Mulleys, early in morning and late evening, you will see both whitetail and mule deer in that unit, the whitetail in the brushier and timber areas, and mule deer in the open sage and ridge tops. You could have snow, so bring chains. There are smaller towns nothing to stay in and eat, nothing beats a hot shower! Should be fun, and a progress report is a always nice. Good Luck!!

I have not hunted 11, but i have hunted 13,14, and 18, which are basically the same kind of terrain and the same area. I would hunt the last week, the rut is the key, and if you can Rattle, that is a plus. I hunt Whitetail just like Elk or Mulleys, early in morning and late evening, you will see both whitetail and mule deer in that unit, the whitetail in the brushier and timber areas, and mule deer in the open sage and ridge tops. You could have snow, so bring chains. There are smaller towns nothing to stay in and eat, nothing beats a hot shower! Should be fun, and a progress report is a always nice. Good Luck!!
Thanks Brdhuntr, appreciate the info and advice. Will absolutely report back after the hunt.

Huntin fool advisor said to hunt mid nov for the rut and hunt top of Craig Mtn. Area biologist said to take Deer Creek down in. I’m thinking of hauling a trailer and tracker side by side up w my Landrover LR4 but not sure if the snow will be an issue w trailer and load?. Or if the side by side is even needed? I may be taking Zaza Rd to top of Craig Mtn. If anyone can let me know if a side by side is needed or not that would be greatly appreciated. I’m hunting solo and may sleep in car or 2 man tent as I don’t have a wall tent. May set up a wicki-up too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom