Unit 12 4th season

BearCub

I recently picked up a 4th season deer tag for unit 12. I understand it covers units 12, 23, 24 and 231. I’d love to speak to someone familiar with the unit. Public/private access points, transition areas and winter range, etc.

I will be reaching out to the biologists. Any perspective from others that have hunted it would be much appreciated. PM’s are welcome.

So, I'm curious about this tag as well (not for this year...just researching). It has traditionally taken non-residents 10-11 points to draw this tag and then this year, it dropped all the way down to 2.

Was that just a freaky one-off or did something happen in that area? The population and buck:doe ratios have been stable and the harvest rates still look really good...

Coloradoman, why do you say it's a tough hunt?

I will be hunting in Unit 24 during the first Elk Rifle season and realize that much will change before 4th season but I would be happy to share any info that I may have in October if you want to look at unit 24.

I hunted Unit 12 last year during third season. Drew it on a 2nd choice and went just to go have some fun, hunt deer in November. Didn't go down there with any expectations. I hunted strictly the Unit 12 portion. Did not hunt the Meeker side, probably more deer in general on that west side of the mountain, and 2 ton worth more people too. In a nutshell, I saw more bull elk than buck deer. Big snows the end of October pushed alot of deer into the private lands, thick oak brush country. Alot of broken up, thick country that looks good, just much of it is private. I saw CDOW increased tags again for those units. That's amazing to me from what I seen. Must be they are really pressing the CDW issue and want to eliminate as many buck deer they can. It's an opportunity hunt, plain and simple. I killed the biggest buck I saw after 7 days a 20" 3x3 for some tasty eats. From my experience, I wouldn't waste 2 points to hunt the 4th season.

I will be hunting in Unit 24 during the first Elk Rifle season and realize that much will change before 4th season but I would be happy to share any info that I may have in October if you want to look at unit 24.
I appreciate the help. I'll reach out to you after your hunt to see your assessment.

Just FYI, that entire section of the state is done for at least 10 years. There are a few exceptions, but the CPW has decided to kill every mature buck they can, after this year units that used to hold a ton of good bucks will be reduced to 90% of the bucks being yearlings.

It used to be amazing and as recent as 2015 there was a healthy mature buck population with a reasonable chance a buck in the mid 170s. Now you will be lucky to see a buck bigger than 22" basket 4x4.

I hunt unit 12 every fall and last year was the first year we couldn't find a single mature buck. My dad isn't picky but he didn't see anything worth shooting. First time in 10 years we didn't get a deer. It's a tough hunt now especially with all the tags being given out.

I hunt unit 12 every fall and last year was the first year we couldn't find a single mature buck. My dad isn't picky but he didn't see anything worth shooting. First time in 10 years we didn't get a deer. It's a tough hunt now especially with all the tags being given out.

Which season do you hunt?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom