Unit 13 elk muzzleloader

Blackie6

I drew my first New Mexico elk tag in unit 13. It is a second muzzleloader that starts October 22. I’m planning to take a scouting trip out this summer then head over a day or so early for the hunt to scout. I’ll be coming from central Utah.
I’m looking for any general starting info from anyone that has hunted the unit or may know the area. Thanks in advance!

Congratulations great tag! Big unit some very good bulls. Your doing the right thing by planing a trip this summer. I prefer the north east part of the unit. Best of luck on your hunt.

It’s hot and dry. The elk in October will not be where you see them in the summer. Bulls will be coming off cows by your hunt. Huge unit, low numbers. Good luck to you!!!

Congratulations great tag! Big unit some very good bulls. Your doing the right thing by planing a trip this summer. I prefer the north east part of the unit. Best of luck on your hunt.
Thanks for the reply. To narrow in a bit in the NE part, would I want to bring a UTV or is a truck fine?

That time of year bring good glass and get set up to look over what you may not think i good elk area. Unit 13 is a great unit but not what alot of people think of as elk terrain. Plenty of roads you could use a utv but you will need to park it and walk in to areas for a good chance at a bull.
I like the area near datal around the double H ranch or go out of magdelna I am sure I spelled that wrong and go towards the back of the double h from that side plenty of good glassing areas.

Those are big areas to cover but good luck I tried for that tag but did not draw.

That time of year bring good glass and get set up to look over what you may not think i good elk area. Unit 13 is a great unit but not what alot of people think of as elk terrain. Plenty of roads you could use a utv but you will need to park it and walk in to areas for a good chance at a bull.
I like the area near datal around the double H ranch or go out of magdelna I am sure I spelled that wrong and go towards the back of the double h from that side plenty of good glassing areas.

Those are big areas to cover but good luck I tried for that tag but did not draw.
BillC. Thanks for those recommendations! I’ll Add it to my map study and check it out.

If your camping it watch your stuff. I know a couple guys that came back on their first day of the hunt to have 90 percent of their camp stolen ( tent, coolers, gear). I have been in there multiple times and have had no issues, but just a heads up.

BillC. Thanks for those recommendations! I’ll Add it to my map study and check it out.
I cant tell you how much glassing will decide your hunt at that time after all the hunting before hand. Datil and mag both have lodging and roughly 45 minutes apart. Both have food and gas also. Dont be scared to look at the little cedar hills that looks like nothing for elk.

I drew the late Nov tag here this year. I am thinking it will be a tough one but it is also my first tag in NM and I am super excited and up for the challenge.

The bulls scatter worse in that unit then anywhere I’ve ever hunted. Tough hunt, but not as tough as the second hunt.
How important is water on the Nov hunt in unit 13? Do the elk have an expanded range later in the year as more weather moves in? I was wondering if it would make since to target glassing near water sources but that might not be as important that late in the year? I am not familiar with how much water is on unit 13 in general?

I hunted a nearby unit in AZ around thanksgiving last year and the elk were still up high and down by the water because it was pretty hot.

How important is water on the Nov hunt in unit 13? Do the elk have an expanded range later in the year as more weather moves in? I was wondering if it would make since to target glassing near water sources but that might not be as important that late in the year? I am not familiar with how much water is on unit 13 in general?

I hunted a nearby unit in AZ around thanksgiving last year and the elk were still up high and down by the water because it was pretty hot.
Stick and move man!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom