Unit 13

elk_crazy

I drew elk and deer in this unit. I've heard alot of bad about it but wanted other opinions on this unit I'll be hunting second season archery for elk and second season rifle deer. I wanted to know what the beards were looking like and how moisture is so far. I have very little info on both and need more info. I will be scouting the areas alot this summer on my own but wanted your guys thoughts. Any info would be appreciated.

I also got this unit again for elk. It can be a tough hunt but I also believe some of the biggest bull in the state reside there. I know the unit got a 18 inch snowstorm in a good portion of the central and northern portion of unit, not sure bout the southern end. I know it is dry now but moonsoons will be key to this years hunt. I have had success in the unit, pm if u have more questions.

I live nearby and have hunted it. It can be a tough hunt. It was my second choice this year for elk and I drew the first rifle hunt for deer. Huge unit with elk moving all the time and a long distance,usually onto one of the big ranches.But they are there,big ones. I was after a 360+ bull 2 years ago but couldn't get within 1/4 mile of it for two days. Coming into the ranch last night from Socorro,they where thick from HH ranch to Pie Town. Many bulls with big clubs of velvet.Almost nailed a calf. Good Luck and Good Hunting!!

I've hunted the unit once. DIY. I always see tons of elk going through there on my way to unit 15 so in 2009 I bought a UW ranch tag and went in there. I hunted the side that borders unit 12 and got this guy at the end of the first day. No bugling going on but theres plenty of vantage points to glass up bedded bulls which is what I did.

198213elk.jpg

I accidentally drew the archery deer hunt as a 4th choice (didn't realize we accepted the 4th choice option). It's all I drew this year, so I might as well make the most of it and learn the unit. Any ideas on the quality of deer in the unit? Saptember versus January?

Not the best unit for quanity of elk but one of the best for quality seen some bigns come from there

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom