Unit 15 elk muzzy hunt

Cahunter805

Long Time Member
Hey guys. Finally drew my first nm tag!! Have my maps and GPS chip but am looking for any tips on where to scout and camp. Will probably have a 5th wheel. I plan to arrive 5 days before season to scout.

Any help appreciated.
Thank you!

im gonna hunt 15 sept 11-18 archery i will tell u what i saw and where to go as soon as i get back your hunt should be right after mine so my info will be helpful i think

LAST EDITED ON May-06-14 AT 07:21PM (MST)[p]I live just north(8mi) of 15,never hunted it but know it.
Quemado lake has nice campground and there are tons of elk in area.
You can be within half-hour drive to some good spots.
Which hunt?

I live just north of Santa Fe and I drew the first ML tag. I plan on getting down there this summer. Do the camp grounds down there have facilities? Would you stay at the lake or would you go down to the rv park west of apache creek. Maybe we can connect and work something out for scouting.

That first hunt is awesome. should hit a little late rut like last year if your lucky. Not an outfitter just like to hunt.

We have a few cabins down in Apache creek. The campground your talking about does have an rv dump station, water and electric. i think its appx 24 bucks a day.

There are a ton of elk over the whole unit. My advice is watch the weather radar and see if certain areas get more rain than other part of the unit. Then come out 3-4 days early and glass / checkout those areas a lot.

I was just down last weekend turkey hunting and saw couple hundred. From Quemado to Apache creek to reserve. Some nicer bulls starting to show good bases.

PM me if you have other questions.

Anyone been out in the unit lately? Trying to plan a scouting trip but not sure I can make it. Any help appreciated.

I hope Cahunter805 did well.
I'm headed out for the 2nd unit 15 Muzzy hunt in three days, any last minuet report ?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom