Unit 15 Youth Muzzy Deer Hunt

Cotten

Does anyone have experience with the Unit 15 Youth Muzzleloader hunt for deer in Unit 15? I'm considering putting my two daughters (10 and 12) in for it, but would love some information to decide if it's the right opportunity for them.

Are we likely to see deer and elk a few times a day to help keep the kids engaged? Hiking, backpacking, and even remote camping are doable with them. But I don't know that the younger one has the patience for a "needle in a haystack" type hunt, where you're lucky to see a single deer. We will be coming from Colorado and doing this for their Thanksgiving break, so probably not any on the ground scouting beforehand. Definitely e-scouting though.

Hello Cotten, I took my son and nephew on that hunt a couple of years ago. We didn't see a single deer in 3 days of hunting. Seen one camp with a buck hanging. Not very many deer in that unit at all. We seen elk every morning and afternoon. If you have an elk tag I say do it. Lots of elk. If you just have deer tags enjoy the time with your girls and hopefully you'll have better luck then we did. Sorry, don't want to discourage you but that was our experience.

I don't know GMU-15 specifically, but generally don't recommend deer hunting NM to my non-resident friends. It doesn't seem to be a good value. For an exciting deer density, I recommend whitetails in the Midwest. Per WapitiDave, elk and exotics are better values for non-residents.

would say do unit 17 for youth deer. There is not a lot of deer in 15 or 13 but after hunting elk in 13 this last year I saw more deer in 13 then ever before and some good bucks to.

Are you a R or NR? If your looking into 15 I'd recommend it as a 3rd choice since draws are high.
Pick some better 1st and 2nd choice areas to give your youth a possible great opportunity to harvest.

We are nonresidents coming from Colorado. My 10 year old wants to embark on her first mule deer hunt this year, but she has to wait until she's 12 here in Colorado. New Mexico seems like a fun adventure type trip, with the opportunity to potentially kill or at least see some nice deer, and watch some epic elk in the bargain. We will likely to muzzleloader season in Nebraska as well, but that's not until December and would only be weekend trips until Christmas break. A youth hunt in New Mexico feels like a good use of a Thanksgiving break.

We are nonresidents coming from Colorado. My 10 year old wants to embark on her first mule deer hunt this year, but she has to wait until she's 12 here in Colorado. New Mexico seems like a fun adventure type trip, with the opportunity to potentially kill or at least see some nice deer, and watch some epic elk in the bargain. We will likely to muzzleloader season in Nebraska as well, but that's not until December and would only be weekend trips until Christmas break. A youth hunt in New Mexico feels like a good use of a Thanksgiving break.
There are some really good and easy to draw clues deer hunts in AZ in Dec when kids normally have a break from school. that might be a thought. Deer hunting in NM can be tough.

I really appreciate those of you that have provide some insight or reached out to me directly. Sounding like a fun family adventure for Thanksgiving break.

They are in there but are hard to find my sons first deer hunt in 15 when he could barley hold the muzzloader up we ran into two monsters off sawmill road biggest deer I ever seen live.

I hunted unit 13 muzzle loader in late November for the full hunt and only saw 1 deer! Looked like fantastic deer country. I heard densities were about the same in 15. New Mexico doesn’t seem to manage for deer at all.

Deer in 15 is tough. My son had it 2 years ago and we never saw one. Had a elk hunt there this year and never saw a deer as well.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom