Unit 16 Mule Deer

JB1975

Very Active Member
Drew rifle tag and plan on 2-3 scouting trips this summer. Any recommendations on guides for 16? May or may not go that route but want to explore all options.
Thanks in advance.

Don’t get your expectations too high for this hunt. Most of 16 has low deer densities. You could easily go 2-3 days without seeing a deer in 16. Southern NM lacks the genetics/habitat to consistently grow big mule deer antlers. If you put the time and effort in you do stand a chance of killing a 5+ year old buck. If you get more than a mile away from a road, you may not see another hunter the entire 5 days of your hunt. You will enjoy yourself if you appreciate the solitude and scenery. Even though it is November, you may have T short weather most afternoons and any significant rutting activity won’t start until a month after your hunt closes.

Don’t get your expectations too high for this hunt. Most of 16 has low deer densities. You could easily go 2-3 days without seeing a deer in 16. Southern NM lacks the genetics/habitat to consistently grow big mule deer antlers. If you put the time and effort in you do stand a chance of killing a 5+ year old buck. If you get more than a mile away from a road, you may not see another hunter the entire 5 days of your hunt. You will enjoy yourself if you appreciate the solitude and scenery. Even though it is November, you may have T short weather most afternoons and any significant rutting activity won’t start until a month after your hunt closes.
No expectations other than a good time away from work. Will do a bunch of homework over the next couple months before a few trips to check it out.
Thank you for your information. I appreciate it.

No expectations other than a good time away from work. Will do a bunch of homework over the next couple months before a few trips to check it out.
Hi JB. Yea, good idea. It's fun country to trounce around in. I was down there last year. Most of 16 does not hold deer, and deer density is overall low in most parts of the unit. I've seen more wild donkeys and wild horses in 16 than deer. Ther are units that are much better, and there are units which are much worse. The horses are really fun when they roll in at 3 AM and surround your camp. I wouldn't kill yourself trying to get miles deep, as I went in 4-5 miles in places and saw no deer glassing early morning hours and late. Escouting is your friend. With that being said, with enough hard work and a bit of luck, you can find pockets of 10 or so does with a couple of bucks with them. I was lucky enough to stumble upon one of such groups late opening morning. If you can identify 2-3 pockets like this going into opening morning, you should harvest. They don't like to move out of these areas.

Hi JB. Yea, good idea. It's fun country to trounce around in. I was down there last year. Most of 16 does not hold deer, and deer density is overall low in most parts of the unit. I've seen more wild donkeys and wild horses in 16 than deer. Ther are units that are much better, and there are units which are much worse. The horses are really fun when they roll in at 3 AM and surround your camp. I wouldn't kill yourself trying to get miles deep, as I went in 4-5 miles in places and saw no deer glassing early morning hours and late. Escouting is your friend. With that being said, with enough hard work and a bit of luck, you can find pockets of 10 or so does with a couple of bucks with them.
Thank you sir. I will make it a good time either way. Appreciate the insight.

Thank you sir. I will make it a good time either way. Appreciate the insight.
Do us all a favor and try to get a few of these beasts when ur down there. :p I think these are coyotes......
STC_0037.JPG

I’ve elk and/or turkey hunted 16 quite a few times over the last 10+ years and have pretty much always seen deer in September. I could point you to a few spots that are consistent for mule deer and other spots for coues, not sure if they will move out before your hunt as I’ve never been there later. Does your tag allow coues?

Cory

Cory, thank you for the offer. The tag is muley only. I have received numerous offers for information from good guys like yourself and I will be reaching out to all as scouting gets closer. Thank you sir

My son drew a Unit 16 youth tag as well.

He won an NM out-of-state tag/license last year for Unit 22 (rifle). While it was a difficult hunt for us, having never been to the state before, we persevered and he killed a buck that made his mind up for him (just a deer, but we hadn't seen much after 3 days of hunting). We enjoyed the trip so much, I ended up entering him in several youth draws this year. Thus he was selected for the Nov 20-28 deer tag in Unit 16, and an off-base oryx tag for December.. Good luck to you! Now to do some homework for our next NM adventure...

Thank you sir and congrats to your son. I am happy to share any info I get from my research and scouting trips before the hunt. Also happy to reach out to you after my hunt with any updated notes. Mine ends 11/17 so right before you guys get there. Looking forward to a great time no matter the outcome.

Much appreciated! I was a member here many years ago, then after the extended hiatus, I had to re-join last year.

If anyone needs information regarding his hunt from Unit 22 last year (both Coues and mulies) I'd be glad to share.

I'm looking for a little advice I drew New Mexico unit 16 for deer Bow hunt in September was asking if anybody knew where to start I was thinking of hunting 16A or D Because of the fires but if anyone can share some advice or what sections to look at that greatly appreciated

Last edited:
I killed a deer in 16 last year 7 point not a monster but it’s a tough hunt they are in there but so are the wolfs I would start in Collins park.

I’ve elk and/or turkey hunted 16 quite a few times over the last 10+ years and have pretty much always seen deer in September. I could point you to a few spots that are consistent for mule deer and other spots for coues, not sure if they will move out before your hunt as I’ve never been there later. Does your tag allow coues?

Cory
Cory I’m going to shoot you a text

I'm looking for a little advice I drew New Mexico unit 16 for deer Bow hunt in September was asking if anybody knew where to start I was thinking of hunting 16A or D Because of the fires but if anyone can share some advice or what sections to look at that greatly appreciated
Did you kill one?

Can/Is anyone willing to give me some advice? I’m active duty military and was given a Unit 16 Deer tag with a month to prepare. This will be my first mule deer hunt and have no idea in what section of Unit 16 to even start. I really appreciate any help.

I’ve got no helpful recommendations. Stumbled into a couple really nice mule deer and coues deer in there on elk hunts.

It can be done, hope you find one.

They’re are some pockets that hold quantities n quality that’s for sure.
I’m still curious if JB1975 killed one ?

Can/Is anyone willing to give me some advice? I’m active duty military and was given a Unit 16 Deer tag with a month to prepare. This will be my first mule deer hunt and have no idea in what section of Unit 16 to even start. I really appreciate any help.
What are the dates of your hunt? I don't have any good info for you yet, but I'll be hunting 10/28 to 11/1 and can let you know what we come up with.

Maybe camp at Snow Lake. Then hunt the north facing ridges following along willow creek. Super steep on some of those slopes but some do hold deer.

Fishing might be good also if they stocked recently.

Years ago it was killed south of beaver head. Flippin monster!!!
I was just in that gas station a couple weeks ago on my antelope and wondered the story on that buck too. Send me a PM if there is any more story to it. The woman at the counter didn't know much about it when I asked either.

I tagged out in 16 this year. It was my 2nd ever mule deer hunt so I'm still a noob but I'm super happy. I made some mistakes and learned a few things the hard way but I still managed to get him. It's probably the best way it could have happened.

Edit- I would've gotten better pics but it took me long enough to find him and when I did I just wanted to get to work.

401609864_6205699532862908_2090660047817035081_n.jpg

Last edited:
I tagged out in 16 this year. It was my 2nd ever mule deer hunt so I'm still a noob but I'm super happy. I made some mistakes and learned a few things the hard way but I still managed to get him. It's probably the best way it could have happened.
Congrats, How Big?......................................BULL!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom