UNIT 16A MULEYS?

Z

zags

New guy here,
My son and I drew 16A for mule deer this year. This will be our first time in this area. We are not road hunters by any means and aren't afraid to do a little packing to get to 'em. I plan on several scouting trips from now untill then including some bowhunting. Any tips or suggestions that could help narrow the search would be apreciated.
TIA
Larry

It looked pretty good on paper.
According to azgfd:
46% buck to doe ratio
60% draw success rate
I know there are some pretty heavily hunted "popular" areas there, but I liked the fact that there are several wilderness areas and tons of open country to get away from the crowds. The success rate is 23%, but there are mature bucks to be had (or so I've heard)
Also, my son is 14 and I want to get as many hunts in as possible while he still wants to hang with the 'ol man. An area with decent draw odds was important to me, which means waiting year after year for a strip tag is out of the question right now.

Hunt the S/E corner of the Hualapai's. There are two old mining roads just to the N/W of Wikieup that get you into really good deer country. This area used to be our family deer hunt spot for years (1970's - 80's). We did a lot of our hunting in the foothills to about half way up the mountain. This is where you'll see the highest concentration of deer and glassing will be very, very effective. There are some real nice one's in the flats before you get to the mountain but is limited for glassing. We used to see large herds of deer but that was 20-25 years ago. I've been wanting to go back and hunt that area and did put in for it but it was my second choice as to 17A is my number one choice now. If you want more detailed information I will PM you if you like. Do some scouting and let me know what you think.

Good luck on your hunt. I know a lot of the higher stuff is very rugged, and brushed over, but there are good deer to be found, just look hard and do your homework.

Dont be afraid of the low desert country either. Some of it gets hit hard, but there are places that dont.

Is that ethical?

Cazador. You hunt archery or rifle. I spend quite a bit of my archery seasons in 17a. Just wonsering if ive seen you around. Went up there today and say a few does. didsee a 2 point just before you hit the 18b 17a line.

I do both. This year I drew a 17A tag so I'll be up there archery hunting/scouting possibly the second weekend of the archery hunt. I usually hunt around Camp Wood, 7 UP & Yolo Ranch. I'm sure the deer right now are going to be spread out due to all the rain they have received in the recent last few weeks. The big ones will hold up in the hills until the rut but ocassionally you will see a nice 3x and 4x still hanging with their Mama's.

Watch out for all the other hunters up there this year. they have the elk hunt and the rifle deer hunt running together again this year so you will have about another thousand hunters to deal with.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom