Unit 2 Antelope help- 1st season

Clownpuncher

Has anyone had this tag? A buddy of mine drew it with 18 points,I believe, this year and we are going to check it out in a couple of weeks. Just wondering if anyone has any inside info. We live in GJ but have never been lucky enough to draw anything in that unit. Any and all information is GREATLY appreciated and thanks in advance for any help.

Not a great tag. Amazed that anyone would work so long to go to a unit with no knowledge of the unit and a unit. But the nice part is the unit is huge and has good ocuntry just not the numbers of antelope one would expect. The antelope population in the unit is not great but the lack of other tags will give you a chance at the goats. As far as where to hunt. Sheephead Basin to Sand Wash Basin and north to Look out mountain are all good. I would spend more time at the extreme north ends of the unit along the WY boarder. County 4 north. There is usually a really good buck that hangs out near the intersection of county road 4 and 21N. This is the very NW section of the unit. Also in this area is the South Nipples State land. I can have some antelope on it as it gets down into the river bottom. To the North is some of the best antelope hunting units in WY. You ca find animals scattered through out the unit, but I would focus the snake river areas etc. There might be few up Graystone and on Douglas etc. But most will be in the sage flats around the river, in the basins. on look out mountain, and north.

2 weeks ago I had a really good buck cross county road 4 west of Powder Wash Camp on a higher ridge. I believe the canyon is called Beaver Slide. It was on the west rim of Beaver Slide. From this area you can head south off county road 4 and get on Look out mountain.

Good luck.

Also if you spend much time looking at the maps in the area... I am not sure who Maggie was back in the day, but the guys sure thought of her a lot as I think there are 3 or maybe 4 places labelled Maggies Nipples on the map.

Ha. She must have been a looker! Thanks for the help. I should have clarified one thing. He is familiar with the area, I'm just not. I just told him I'd see if I can find out anymore info and if anyone has seen anything lately. Sounds like we should focus north. I am no trophy goat hunter by any stretch of the means so what he is after I couldn't tell you. I can't tell a good goat from a record holder. It looks like 2" is the difference!! (Besides width I guess)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom