Unit 2 mule’s walker ranch

Wbhco

A crew out of Texas has taken over the Walker Ranch and charges big $. Are there 200” on the rand Yuppers but you’ll pay to play. If someone has an update on status please post.

I hunted the Walker Ranch for elk twice in the last 5 years and never saw anything close to 200". They have taken a few in the past but I thinks its been quite a while.

Nope unit 2 is one of the worst deer units in the state. About the only way I would ever hunt unit 2 for deer is if I was given a tag for free, even then I might try to trade it out. Never seen anything in 2 close to 200. 160 is a really good and rare buck in 2.

In 2018 I spent 17 days in unit 2 running multiple trail cams and glassing my buns off. In all that time I never saw a huge buck. Most bucks lack mass and almost all have crabby forks.

EK000356.JPG

EK000079.JPG

EK000249.JPG

In 2018 I spent 17 days in unit 2 running multiple trail cams and glassing my buns off. In all that time I never saw a huge buck. Most bucks lack mass and almost all have crabby forks.

View attachment 22064

View attachment 22065

View attachment 22066
2019 I had the Arcery Elk tag had over 60 days in the unit and ran 24 cameras, some were on the same water holes in your pictures. The largest buck a was a clean 26 160 4x4. I had more pictures of predators on my cameras than I did of deer. It is not a trophy deer area at all. It is crazy because there should be some big bucks, but there is not...

I don't think GMU has the genetics. I have seen more big Muleys around Sterling and Franktown then is GMU 2. That having been said, an archery hunter sent me pic of a muley he shot in 2018 in GMU 2, had to be over 190. Seems like bucks in excess of 180 were taken on a regular basis 10+ years ago. There are just not a lot of deer in GMU 2. It is a quality hunt with little pressure. If I had it do all over, I would not burn 20 points in GMU 2. It may become worse now that wolves are established. Wolves may decimate this trophy area.... I talked with guides in the Eagle area and Gunnison area. Areas well known for big Bucks. Nobody is really guaranteeing anything over 170.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom