Unit 201 Early Rifle Adventure (pic heavy)- Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddsflyfisher

On the last day of September, my oldest son (13yo) and I left home for a 5 hour drive to the northwest corner of Colorado- Unit 201- a place I had been researching for a couple of years and only seen from satellite images and maps. I had been holding onto elk preference points for 28 years and decided to cash them in this year. Knowing that I would almost surely never draw this tag again and wanted to maximize this opportunity, I contracted with Diamond Peak Outfitters out of the Raftopolous Ranch to guide me for five days.

6019d1.jpg

Ranch House
76094x.jpg

Lime Stone Ridge to the east
9253b1.jpg

This is the first time I have used a guide for big game hunting, and I was pretty uncertain of what to expect. I have done DIY hunts my whole life, but they require tons of time to scout, something that is in short supply for my family of 6 and practice. In the end, with the time and resources I had available, I would go guided again in a heartbeat- it was absolutely worth it. There is so much that occurred that I cannot go into it all. Staying at the ranch was awesome in so many ways. There were two other hunters for unit 201, and one for unit 2- friendly older hunters on the same journey. Angelo Raftopolous is a great guy, very friendly, and very accommodating. His lovely wife, Katie, cooked delicious food for everyone and kept everything going at the ranch house- just superb people. The guides all had several years experience guiding and hunting in the area- they were very professional and super helpful. Every day we saw large amounts of game- elk, deer, antelope, coyotes, sandhill cranes, moose, and even WOLVES.

My guide, Casey, was young, knowledgeable, and energetic- and he took loads of pictures (almost all of these were from him). He had my son and I onto herds of elk every morning and evening on public and private property. The bulls were chasing, bugling, and just raising hell. We would look over numerous mature bulls, weighing the bulls strengths and weaknesses- holding out for a giant.

Night before the season opened...
48314a.jpg

67742b.jpg

96517c.jpg

96955d.jpg

85079f.jpg

Opening day pics...
30915a1.jpg

85408g.jpg

99179h.jpg

76188i.jpg

98156j.jpg

81119k.jpg

19809l.jpg

79476n.jpg

Second day...
46969o.jpg

25376p.jpg

57441q.jpg

65224s.jpg

86547r.jpg

Third day...
54095e1.jpg

70969t.jpg

37076u.jpg

38277v.jpg

68725k1.jpg

58778j1.jpg

In the middle of the day we would go back to the ranch and rest, eat, and fish. The fishing was a highlight for my son- catching rainbows, brook trout, and even hybrid golden rainbows.
79085h1.jpg

79009z.jpg

36968z1.jpg

My son had to leave midday on the fourth day to make it to some school obligations, and to train at an invite only clinic to be coached by two former Olympic swimmers. This hunt was as much for him as it was for me, and I held out on shooting a bull (unless it was an absolute freak) so he could get into them as much as possible on this rare experience. We hunted the fourth morning seeing bulls like this one...
5596i1.jpg

Once he left for home, I wasn't going to be picky- the first decent bull was going to get smoked. That evening Casey and I headed down to look over a new area next to Unit 2. As the evening set on, elk began to feed out and become more active. Casey had an inkling to take a peak at a different spot. At a 1000 yds we located another herd.
19908o1.jpg

At less than 200 yards- Love the curvy main beams and inward tilt of the G4's and 5's.
69118n1.jpg

The bull in the group was solid with some character 330-340 bull. The wind was howling from the west. So we circled in behind and downwind, closing the distance through some cedar pines to 140yds. At this point the herd was up and feeding. I was on the shooting sticks while Casey was on the Phoneskope taking video. As soon as the bull cleared some bushes and turned a bit toward us I placed one 300wm 180gr TTSX through the neck and spine, dropping him instantly. I saw him disappear through the scope, and wasn't sure if he ambled down into a draw. The cows bugged out quick, and we worked up to him. I placed one more through his opposite shoulder in the lungs as he struggled to get up, finishing him off quickly.
95422q1.jpg

28605y1.jpg

Casey called the other guides and they came over to cape and quarter the bull- kind of a tough process to watch as I have been the guy to do it for years for myself and family members. We took some pics, and enjoyed each others company working on this old bull- his ivories were plain worn down. As we caped him, we found a 1" fibrous mass forward above his right shoulder, below his spine, and just under the hide. After cleaning it out we discovered that it was a copper jacketed bullet. This bull had been shot years prior and the wound had healed over, sequestering the bullet in fibrous tissue- tough old bull. My taxidermist and Casey both thought the bull was about nine years old. The bull had busted up his right side 6th and 7th points, and chipped his left side 6th point; something I had the taxidermist remedy for the euro while we waited for the cape to be tanned.

Leaving the ranch was bittersweet. I had come to really appreciate this area of Colorado as well as the friends I had made. I cannot express my gratitude enough. I hope to make it back there sometime to take my other sons and I hope my oldest son cherishes the memories for years to come.

Second son with the euro...
10666m1.jpg

>Awesome. Congrats!
>
>I want to hear more about
>these wolves?

+1 I want to see the pictures of these wolves.

#livelikezac

Awesome! I know Casey very well, you drew well as far as guides go. Such a special experience to hunt elk in that country.

Coloradoboy

Wolves! Damn right- couldn't believe it when it happened. The morning of the second day we drove into area on private about 2mi from the Wyoming and Utah lines before sunup, parked the truck and sat for 30minutes waiting for some light. Casey, Chris (another guide), a hunter that filled his tag already, my son, and I started working slowly down a road through the timber, glassing sage filled meadows looking for elk. The bulls are screaming a little here and there. Casey spots this solo bull at 200 yds and we strained our eyes through the predawn light to size him up knowing he was likely a smaller bull being solo. Then it began- this single eery low pitch howl, then another, and another, and some from another direction- all low pitched long howls. All other animal sounds ceased to exist as they sounded off in the early morning crispness- the bulls shut up. I have heard coyotes howl and yip for years every morning and evening while hunting- this was far different in tone and range. It was just like what you hear from shows or recordings of wolves- just like it. Casey got out his phone quickly to record the sounds, while Chris set up the phoneskope to get them on video- but remember it was still before sunrise- lowlight. Casey spotted them in his binos working through aspen and then through the sage, 6 of them split up, moving southeast, 50 yds off the solo bull we were looking at. And then they were gone. Casey quickly fiddled with his phone to see what he recorded, and with dismay discovered he didn't hit record. Chris got a video snip of two of them going through the sage- it isn't a long video, but it shows them. If I can get it converted and onto YouTube I'll post it up and you can see for yourself. I haven't looked at the video in the last month or so, but as I remember seeing it, these wolves are taller than the sage, and that sage goes to my knees- I'm 6ft. The naysayers will tell you they were coyotes, and on the video their coloration is very similar. But between the size and the low howls, there was zero doubt in our minds they were wolves. As we talked about what we just witnessed and looked at Chris?s video, the coyotes started their yipping and barking in stark contrast from what we just heard, with the bulls chiming back in- like they knew to just shut up for awhile. I'll work on getting the video up for you guys tomorrow or shortly thereafter.

Cheers- Dave

Casey is awesome. I truly enjoyed his company and hunting with him- I would love to hunt with him again.

A couple story's about Casey- the evening before opener, we were doing some scouting driving around after we had met just a few hours prior. As we were crossing one of the gates, he spots a coyote about 100yds in the sage busy mousing. He quickly pulls over, he gets out a sweet varmint rifle out from under the cab seat of his truck and sets up off the road to drop him. Then he looks up at my son in the truck and offers for him to get out and shoot this ?yote. I was blown away! We had just met this guy, didn't know him from Adam and he was thinking of my son to have the opportunity to shoot the coyote. A+ guy. I was hoping my son would hop out and take him up, but always thinking safety first, my son passed because he didn't have hearing protection - I can't fault him for it.

Second story- opening day mid morning. We drove into some hard to access public from the private access. We were right onto bulls chasing cows. Casey spots some hunters 800yds off to the west. He looks below us at 200 yds off the 4wd road and sees a giant bull- like 370 plus- a bull we could drive right down onto in front of the other hunters. What would you do, drive down in, and shoot this giant from under another hunter? Not Casey- again just a straight up honest guy. It's a bastard for someone to get back down in there from public, and knowing that these guys likely had been chasing this bull for a while, we drove the truck up and behind them, getting out of their way. We sat back and watched as they pursued this bull and harvested probably the biggest bull out of the unit for rifle this year. Again, I can't say it enough how impressed I was with the character he displayed in front of my son- a solid guy.

Cheers- Dave

WOW, looks like such a fun adventure you had! And that bull is a beast! I'm sure glad you shared all the photos. Fun stuff to see. Fish, bucks, and big bulls.......

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Thanx for taking the time for the write up and the pics Dave! I know that sound you speak of.

#livelikezac

Ugly deal if wolves get established in 201.... probably something that needs to be handled quickly and kept quiet from the Caliradoans on the i25 corridor

Coloradoboy

Great Story!

I have seen 5 wolves just on the 3 side of Little Snake River while pronghorn hunting two years ago.

Hasbean

>Great Story!
>
>I have seen 5 wolves just
>on the 3 side of
>Little Snake River while pronghorn
>hunting two years ago.
>
>Hasbean

I read somewhere that It was illegal to re-introduce a species into a state, where that species already exists. Anyone collaborate this? If so, wouldn't it be wise to full-court press the issue that Wolves are already present, and head off this ballot measure??

Awesome. Congrats on a great bull and some life long memories. Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations. just curious, what are the chances of a guy getting it done without an outfitter in that unit in your opinion?

>Congratulations. just curious, what are the
>chances of a guy getting
>it done without an outfitter
>in that unit in your
>opinion?

Pretty high...

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Here is the clip of the wolves. Like I said- short clip, predawn, through sage mixed with aspen, wolves on the move.

Cheers- Dave

Wow, great story, Thanks for sharing. Im sure your son will remember that time for the rest of his life. Great job!

Great story and photos. You were a lucky guy. I have always wanted to hunt with Angelo just never got around to it. How difficult of a hunt physically was it ? The story of that family and ranch are just fascinating. A great part of Colorado history.

You are right, the family history there is pretty interesting! As far as the hunt, there are some downright nasty places there, but going guided made it pretty easy physically. It isn't a fun hard hunt, it was a fun hunt. We put in a few walks, but nothing serious. I took my son second season with four tags in his pocket, and we walked 11 mi in wet heavy snow to shoot a doe- absolutely worth it for the experience for him- but that beat the crap out of me compared to hunting elk in 201.

Cheers- Dave

RE: Unit 201 Early Rifle Adventure (pic heavy)

I was also able to experience elk hunting in 201 this last fall but my hunt was archery. My experience hunting with Angelo and the Raftopolous crew mirrored Dave?s. After 27 years of applying, the hunt exceeded my expectations in all areas.

JD

Thanks for sharing your story and pictures- the only way most will get a taste of a hunt in that area. Awesome bull!

Kudos to you for sharing that adventure with your son and with us. Most of us will never get to experience a hunt like that, but it's cool you invited us along, through your words and pictures.
Nice work!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-19 AT 04:22PM (MST)[p]Thanks for sharing. Took me back to my dad's 16' hunt. 201 is truly a special place.

The mountains, not the hills.

Very nice right up. When I was hunting deer with Angelo and Casey this past 2020 2nd season. Angelo said he had already seem some changes in the elk movement patterns. The wolves are there. They may decimate this trophy area like they did the areas east of Yellowstone. Put a lot of outfitters out of business..

Deer Mule.jpeg

Very nice right up. When I was hunting deer with Angelo and Casey this past 2020 2nd season. Angelo said he had already seem some changes in the elk movement patterns. The wolves are there. They may decimate this trophy area like they did the areas east of Yellowstone. Put a lot of outfitters out of business..

View attachment 21026
That is a great buck! Congrats! I am glad to hear you hunted with them- truly good people. It doesn’t feel like a year ago that my eldest son and I were there- time sure flies. As far as the wolves, I agree and share your concerns. That whole process is very frustrating. Wishing you the best in 2021!

Awesome story. What a great experience to share with your Son. Happy Holidays and thanks for sharing?

View attachment 21026
the wolves,are going to decimate the entire Colorado elk/deer herd in short order
No maybe about it.
We see it every day here in Montana

wow you and your son will always have great memories, thanks for sharing your hunt, you sound like a great sportsman! congrads

>Great Story!
>
>I have seen 5 wolves just
>on the 3 side of
>Little Snake River while pronghorn
>hunting two years ago.
>
>Hasbean

I read somewhere that It was illegal to re-introduce a species into a state, where that species already exists. Anyone collaborate this? If so, wouldn't it be wise to full-court press the issue that Wolves are already present, and head off this ballot measure??
You heard wrong

Why ??? Because he mentioned a,specific unit and have,a,few,details ????
His hunt his,story his,decision get over yourself
Ok I will try and explain my thoughts. When I read the write-up I focused on 28 years building points for elk in Colorado. That's what you call a once in a lifetime hunt. Your goal should be to harvest the biggest elk possible, that's why he picked unit 201. To put the odds more in his favor he hired a high priced outfitter. After 4.5 day's of hunting he was going to settle for the next decent bull (WRONG) If you go to harvest a great bull you hunt hard till the last bit of light on the last day of your hunt. You don't settle for anything less. Next he spots a great bull and what does he do next. He decides to take a neck shot. Anyone who has hunt elk much knows that a neck shot is not a good idea. Trying to hit a 3" spot on a 2' neck. Many a elk have been wounded with neck shots. Lastly, if I would have killed an elk like his I would of definitely done a shoulder mount which tells me his wife won't let him bring it in the house.

Ok I will try and explain my thoughts. When I read the write-up I focused on 28 years building points for elk in Colorado. That's what you call a once in a lifetime hunt. Your goal should be to harvest the biggest elk possible, that's why he picked unit 201. To put the odds more in his favor he hired a high priced outfitter. After 4.5 day's of hunting he was going to settle for the next decent bull (WRONG) If you go to harvest a great bull you hunt hard till the last bit of light on the last day of your hunt. You don't settle for anything less. Next he spots a great bull and what does he do next. He decides to take a neck shot. Anyone who has hunt elk much knows that a neck shot is not a good idea. Trying to hit a 3" spot on a 2' neck. Many a elk have been wounded with neck shots. Lastly, if I would have killed an elk like his I would of definitely done a shoulder mount which tells me his wife won't let him bring it in the house.
Have you ever met Tri State? You two would hit it off!!!?

Reactions: SS!
The rest of the story since the post wasn’t enough...
That bull is in process for a pedestal mount- the euro is for enjoying until my taxidermist is ready to get working on it.
At a little over a hundred yards and shooting off a tripod from the ground, that rifle puts five in the same hole if I do my job. I don’t have nervousness when shooting, used to when I was younger, so more often than not it’s <.5” grouping at 100yds. So I’m completely comfortable taking shots others wouldn’t consider- haven’t wounded an animal yet, all clean harvests from neck shots to spine shots to running shots- you put in the time, and it’s like clockwork.
Hunting until the last day is great if that is all that is going on for you and nothing else was more important at the time. Things come up that you can’t take into account. Even on OIL hunts, I would rather hunt with family and friends, sharing the experience than shoot a monster bull on my own- kind of anticlimactic for me. Before that hunt I was helping my brother on a sheep hunt in basalt, plus my 80yo dad was on a moose hunt by Walden- so holding out with the hopes for 20 more inches didn’t work for me. I had other hunts with family to help on.
I try to live by the old code- if you don’t have anything good to say, then don’t speak. The post was for people to enjoy, if you didn’t enjoy it, then move on and go fly fishing.
Cheers

old julius forgot where he came from thats for sure.

Ok enough of that. I have a ton of points for Utah Elk. I will put in for a hunt unit that has big mature bulls. I am not sure which season to pick but I am holding out for a big bull. My biggest to date is a 340" 6x6. I am old school, however since I will be hunting in Utah I figured I would change it up a bit. I will hire a top notch guide or two. He must have at least 16 spotters. I need someone to carry my rifle also. So that's how I roll. Gotta keep up with the Tards.

Ok enough of that. I have a ton of points for Utah Elk. I will put in for a hunt unit that has big mature bulls. I am not sure which season to pick but I am holding out for a big bull. My biggest to date is a 340" 6x6. I am old school, however since I will be hunting in Utah I figured I would change it up a bit. I will hire a top notch guide or two. He must have at least 16 spotters. I need someone to carry my rifle also. So that's how I roll. Gotta keep up with the Tards.
And when you do harvest a bull, post up some pics, hopefully you’ll get nothing but positive comments!!!

Julius is a transplant that forgot where he came from. Oh I could share some stories ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom