Unit 21 2nd season rifle

Easy_green

Hello everyone,

I have been applying for unit 21, 2nd season rifle for the past 5 years, as a non resident. I might get lucky, but I know it will probably take a few more points to draw.

Has anyone here hunted this unit during the second rifle season? If so, were the roads accessible with a good 4X4 vehicle or did you need an ATV?

What was your overall experience on this unit?

A friend and I hunted 3 rd season quite a few years ago. We pulled a trailer with 2 four wheelers and ended up leaving them in the parking lot of the motel. There was a lot of trailers left in the parking lots. There is roads all over the unit and unless you got a lot of weather a 4 x 4 truck would be good. You could take them and use them if needed. As for the quality haven’t hunted it lately but we did hunt 22 second 2 years ago and the number and quality of deer were way down. Hopefully someone who has hunted it more recently will chime in.

Thank you for the info Camper_A1. Did you harvest a decent buck during the 3rd season?

Deer population numbers decreasing seems to be a problem in multiple states. I am looking forward to the overall experience and my expectations are not sky high. My Dad drew out for the Book Cliffs on the Utah side last season. I could see the Colorado side going into unit 21 and it looked like awesome hunting area. I am excited to one day hunt it.

The roads in 21 can get flat nasty if you get some weather. Some of the most puckered up driving I’ve has been chained up on all 4’s trying to get in and out of Philadelphia creek as a dumb kid. I would highly recommend having a side by side or a Atv at your disposal if things get nasty. If things are dry you fine in a truck. As far as the hunting goes, we can kick the dead horse some more; numbers are way down, mature age class deer are way down blah blah blah. 21 has been in a serious slump for some time, well over 10 years now it seems. Last time I personally hunted was 2nd season in 2009 and it was flat brutal. Ended up having to go into some nasty thick stuff to dig out a mid to high 160s type buck. Majority of the bucks killed in there these days are 140 to 160 inch type 3 year olds.

Coloradoboy

Colorado boys post is about all you need to know to hunt Unit 21 other than gps coordinates to honey holes.
If I were camping, I would bring an atv just to have . If I were staying in a hotel , It is not worth the trouble and the worry of crack heads messing with it

I recently heard that some of the ranches that the main road pass through will lock the gates during hunting season. Has anybody else seen or heard of this?

Thank you for information. I will plan on taking my ATVs when I do draw. Sounds like the quality of deer is very similar to the Books Cliffs on the Utah side.

Plenty of road access id take a set of chains to be on the safe side. better to have them and not need them. was there last year during third season saw a couple nice bucks and the rest young-ins, as you know this year 2nd will be like last years 3rd. Bring your horse tag! First time back there in 7 years! Man time flys.family has been going to 21 for over 50 years so ive see the good and bad, like anywhere not what it was but i damn sure love it there!

Plenty of road access id take a set of chains to be on the safe side. better to have them and not need them. was there last year during third season saw a couple nice bucks and the rest young-ins, as you know this year 2nd will be like last years 3rd. Bring your horse tag! First time back there in 7 years! Man time flys.family has been going to 21 for over 50 years so ive see the good and bad, like anywhere not what it was but i damn sure love it there!
Thank you for the recommendation. If I draw out for this season, I will definitely take the chains.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom