Unit 21 Deer

elkhunter7pt

Used my 9 points this year to draw this tag. Going there scouting in early October. Any tips of areas to look or sit and wait would be great full. I do not get around very well as have had a peg leg for less than two years now and walking inclines or hills very hard. Pm me if have some pointers thank you. The hunt is like October 22-30. Thank you

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-18 AT 08:53PM (MST)[p]My info is dated back several years but I hunted deer in 21 2nd rifle and we found nearly all our deer west of hwy 139 and very few on the east side. We'd see 100's of does a day and maybe 5-10 bucks. After alot of sorting, 4 of us all killed decent bucks, but nothing huge. All 4x4's and 5x5's of average size.

I can't remember the road names but we took the dragon road ( I think it was called) out of Rangeley about 10 miles south and found deer everywhere back then. They seemed to be in the midrange elevation that year for 2nd season...

There are gas wells everywhere up there, but they had deer all around them.

Wish I could help you more and good luck to you.

>Thank you for your help I'll
>check it out. Was
>size bucks (width) did you
>get?

They ranged from 24-29 inches. They were not bad, just not monsters. I did see one buck that was well over 30 inches. He crossed the road right in front of me and I got a good look, but before I could get any crosshairs on him, he was in the cedars and gone. I saw one other buck on the 2nd day that was non typical and I should have shot him, but I passed and regreted it later. He had a couple of nice sticker points...

We had no trouble at all finding bucks that were 4x4's and in the mid 20's in width. But I've heard the area may be in decline, so I hope you find newer info than mine.

"Area maybe on decline"? LOL... Yeah it is. I live in 21 and 3.5 yr old bucks are right popular. Seems the older age class struggles to get established for some reason. Numbers are down as is fawn recruitment while predator numbers are up. Don't see very many twins and do see lots of single does. The extended drought has severally stressed the habitat resources too. So kind of gloomy IMO. BTW I don't even put in for 21 anymore as there are way better units in the state. Guys keep applying for some reason then bich about the hunt after they hunt and being forewarned by folks... Still gonna be a fun hunt but be realistic with the expectations.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

>"Area maybe on decline"? LOL... Yeah
>it is.

I just replied to try to help the guy, since nobody else had replied.I acknowledged that my info was dated. Sorry about that.

Thank you all for some great information. I would have never thought I'd get so many replies. Love this site and if I can help anyone with Oregon I'll do my best to help.

Hello All,

Just drew a Colorado unit 21 deer tag for second season. We now have 3 tags for that unit. My uncle is in his 70s and would love to see him take a nice 4 pointer. We got all the tags Off the Left Over Tag List!!!! We usually hunt Unit 22 but was not able to get a tag there,hopefully next year 22 3rd season, I have 10 points....Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

We are looking for a possible camping spot as well. We thought of camping around the Clyde Dillion memorial area (rd 91 and rd 24), only cause we know that area. Is that too far from Unit 21?

Just doing a little research on these forums and talked to a couple local guides and they pointed out a few areas (Texas Mountain, Brushy Point, Tommy Draw). Gonna call local biologist and warden this week. IF anybody has any information or pointers that would be great. I heard there is alot of roads and alot of glassing to do....Also were or which map is the best one to buy for that area?

Thank you!!

How is the elk hunting in 21 or 30? I also used a bunch of points to draw a NR 2nd season deer tag, but honestly I'll probabaly spend more time trying to find my teenage son a bull on an OTC elk tag. At least for the first 5 days while he's out there with me. I know there will be a bunch of elk hunters, just hope there is some country rough enough to get away from many of them. If a guy is willing to go anywhere in the unit(s) could he expect to find an elk?

LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-19 AT 11:25AM (MST)[p]Me and a buddy hunted that GMU in 2010. We shot two very nice 5x5's (or 4x4's w/ eyeguards).

We saw lots of other hunters and an extreme swing in the weather too.

There's lots of trails to get around on too if you're leg is bothering you.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

I spent the 1st 5 days trying to get my son a bull so I didn't start hunting deer until Thursday. Plenty of small bucks, but could not find anything over 150. Shot a 140ish 4 point Saturday right before dark and went home. Only saw one buck killed over 160. Everyone I talked to said the same. Certainly fun hunt, but nowhere worth 10 points. As said before I only did it so I could take my son elk hunting with me.

Sad reality of 21 is that there will never be a healthy population of 4 plus year old 170 plus in type deer due to 90 percent of bucks harvested each year are 3 year old 130 to 150in type deer. It seems this has been the case now for over a decade. Can?t honestly figure out why the hype and point creep continues on with the state things have been:

Coloradoboy

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom