Unit 21 Deer

BulleBull

Taking a break from getting info for my elk hunt and want to transition into getting prepared for my deer archery hunt in Unit 21. I am unfamiliar with this unit and neve have been in it whatsoever. From what I could see is that it's a HUGE unit and lots of ground to cover. In looking at maps it appears that terrain varies quite a bit from rolling hills to steeps. I also notice wilderness area towards the 21A side. My questions are

1) What are the deer numbers in this unit? Am I like let to run into more elk than deer due to the fact it's closeness to the 16?s?

2)Since there is an option to hunt in September and January which time of year is better than the other for more opportunities to harvest? What is the weather like for each season?

3) There is a total of 500 tags issued for the hunt and unit so what should I expect in regards to hunting pressure?

4)What are the roads like and road access into the unit?

5) Could you and would you be willing to share some good starting points to start scouting?

Thank you in advance to everyone for all your help! Hope everyone is having a great year thus far! I know we are all counting the days till the season openers and I want to wish everyone good luck on all your hunts!

Following to refresh this post, I drew the tag this year as well.
January ? Prob better off staying in AZ otc .. you’ll see more deer. There are the occasional big boy in there but tough man. Numbers are definitely not great. To many tags.

Last edited:
January ? Prob better off staying in AZ otc .. you’ll see more deer. There are the occasional big boy in there but tough man. Numbers are definitely not great. To many tags.
Nah its next week. How familiar are you with NM 21? Shoot me a message if you don't mind would love to pick your brain on terrain, preparation, etc

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom