Unit 21A Elk Hunt Help!

Solid18

I am a new hunter this is barely my 2nd year of hunting. I drew a cow elk tag last year in unit 34. I tagged out but I wanted to try my luck this year. After doing countless research on odds of drawing a bull elk tag I eventually put in for 21A. I drew this unit and I am all types of mixed emotions. It is a rifle hunt that I drew. I been looking map after map constantly going from onx to google earth to even topo maps and others on my screen trying to get an idea of where to go.

I came to the conclusion that I am in way over my head on this hunt but I am still going to do it. I plan on taking a scouting trip in the next 2 weeks if work allows me time off. So if anyone has any advice would greatly be appreciated. I was also wondering if going now instead of like a month before my hunt would change anything like weather and if elk move tremendously from now till then. Hunt is in Oct. I have never been in this unit at all never even driven through it. I will be on foot for the hunt my vehicle is not 4x4 so that is why.

How do you even escout this unit watched so many videos on how to do it and it just gives me headaches. So yeah I am way in over my head and its only getting closer and closer. Thank you if you had read all of this.

Best bet get boots in the ground the sooner the better. Get familiar with the terrain , and buy some good binos if you don't have them already. The bulls will be dispersed by October in all different areas than where you see them now so I recommend a second trip close to the hunt dates. Good luck

Most of the unit is very steep. You will find elk in the lower elevations, mid elevations and high elevations in 21A. They are on the north, central and the south end of the unit. It will be a more challenging hunt than your unit 34 cow hunt. I agree that getting boots on the ground by scouting as early and often as possible will be very beneficial to increasing your chances of tagging an elk. If you boned out your cow last year and had to pack it out on your back, that experience will prepare you for planing the after the shot care on this hunt. If you have never boned out an elk, watch some youtube videos because you are not likely to kill a bull in 21A that you will get out whole. There are spots in 21A you may not want to kill an elk unless you have friends or horses that can help you pack the meat out.

if you had a tag in this unit would anyone buy a bear or cougar tag as well? Or any other over the counter tags to raise up your success in at least getting something?

In all of my years hunting 21A i have never seen a cat. However, there is a lot of bear sign so it wouldn't hurt to get one. I'll be out there labor day weekend hunting deer.

My buddies watched a cat take down a calf elk after it watered in front of them. They are there for sure but they are all over the Gila. I have hunted a lot around there and never came across any.

I went to the lower part of the unit. Dropped in and hiked for 11 miles got stuck in a storm, that happened Sunday and saw no sign of deer or elk. I did find tons of bear sign since there was all kinds of berry bushes. Needless to say I'm marking the bottom part off my map for elk.

Getting out and exploring new places is half the fun in a hunt. The work that you put into the hunt will make the hunt memorable even if you don’t get an elk. Keep at it and you will find elk. 21a doesn’t have as high of elk densities as other parts of the Gila or unit 34. The difficult terrain and lower density of elk is why it is easier to draw 21a compared to the 16’s or 34. The deer density is also low in most areas of SW NM.

Unless you are happy to make an extra donation to NMDGF, a lion tag is a waste of money. In 30 years of hunting I’ve only seen 4 lions without the aid of dogs putting them in a tree.

If you are interested in getting a bear, then a bear tag isn’t a bad idea. Even with a week of hunting, you might not see a bear but your chances of getting a bear are substantially higher than getting a lion.

Brian is 100% correct. Without dogs it's pretty much a waste of time and money to get a lion tag. I always buy a bear tag though, see several bears through out the year.
He also hit the nail on the head as far as 21a being easier to draw. It definitely has some humbling terrain. Enjoy learning it.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom