Unit 22 3rd season 2021

JT

I know this is going to be a long shot, but I’m going to give it a shot....
I’m in need of a 3rd season unit 22 tag next year ( like I said it’s a long shot ). Long story, my dad is a heart transplant survivor and he’s got the points to Draw it next year but his health is not good, as you could probably expect. I’m really looking forward to it. The unit can be fun to hunt, I’v hunted it a few years back. But I guess what I’m trying to get to is that I’d love to also have a tag in my pocket with him, with the points it’s more than likely going to be the last time for him in the great state of Colorado. Any leads I would much appreciate but I also understand if no one responds, I buy landowner tags in other Units and I know that it can be a hush, hush topic.

Anymore, sounds like it could be tough to find one mature buck in that unit, let alone two. Might send elks96 a PM and get some local knowledge of the unit.

Thanks! I’ll give them a call and see what they say. Thanks again for the info.

Yeah that unit has fallen far in the last few years. I would contact Marty Elder at Rim Rock Outfitters. The truth is finding a unit wide tag will be hard as the outfitters will have them gobbled up and the outfitters would rather sell an entire hunt than just a tag as they make more money. Monty has the entire old shell lease.

Also you could call John Halandras at H and H outfitting/processing. They have a place and might get a tag.

Sullivan Brothers also has been in 22 but not sure if they are still there...

In all honesty, I would save the cost of buying the tag and trying to draw you and your dad a MT general deer tag for the following year or just later that fall.

Unit 22 is down a bunch and after this year it will be way down. The deer in 22 almost all come from other units. In all honesty I had a better hunt last week on my MT general tag last week than I had in unit 22 4th last year. Also I hunted 3rd this year with my cousin and it got worse. SInce most of the deer in 22 migrate in from other units the excessive tags given in 11, 23, 24, 32, etc. Really hammered the buck quality in 22. I know your dad is stuck with his points and if he has the 10-12 needed to draw it is likely his best option to use his points, but the quality is not there at all. I would suggest switching gears and getting a cow elk or a bull tag. I honestly think it is easier finding a legal bull elk than a big buck in the unit. Not to mention all the money saved could allow for another adventure for you and your dad. Heck the price you will pay to get a unit wide voucher could cover the cost of a hog hunt in Texas or a fishing trip in Florida or....

Yeah that unit has fallen far in the last few years. I would contact Marty Elder at Rim Rock Outfitters. The truth is finding a unit wide tag will be hard as the outfitters will have them gobbled up and the outfitters would rather sell an entire hunt than just a tag as they make more money. Monty has the entire old shell lease.

Also you could call John Halandras at H and H outfitting/processing. They have a place and might get a tag.

Sullivan Brothers also has been in 22 but not sure if they are still there...

In all honesty, I would save the cost of buying the tag and trying to draw you and your dad a MT general deer tag for the following year or just later that fall.

Unit 22 is down a bunch and after this year it will be way down. The deer in 22 almost all come from other units. In all honesty I had a better hunt last week on my MT general tag last week than I had in unit 22 4th last year. Also I hunted 3rd this year with my cousin and it got worse. SInce most of the deer in 22 migrate in from other units the excessive tags given in 11, 23, 24, 32, etc. Really hammered the buck quality in 22. I know your dad is stuck with his points and if he has the 10-12 needed to draw it is likely his best option to use his points, but the quality is not there at all. I would suggest switching gears and getting a cow elk or a bull tag. I honestly think it is easier finding a legal bull elk than a big buck in the unit. Not to mention all the money saved could allow for another adventure for you and your dad. Heck the price you will pay to get a unit wide voucher could cover the cost of a hog hunt in Texas or a fishing trip in Florida or....
Thanks so much for the info.... I still may try those contacts. I guess one of my biggest concern is, that I’m just not quite sure how much longer he’ll have to hunt, his health isn’t good, and he really can’t hike at all, I’v hunted other units that require to much hiking for him, if I was hunting it by myself I’d hunt it far more different but he just can’t hunt that way anymore and I know with the roads around that unit it might be a little more friendly for him. I’v been talking about taking him to Colorado for some time, although it’s been a few years since I’ve hunt 22, I do feel that we could run into one or two. I really don’t think that he’s expecting to much, maybe a 165-170ish. My ideal hunt would be to find him a good 4th season, but with his points he’s still a bit out for that. Maybe I’ll spend some more time and see what else he could draw with those points, thanks again!

Thanks so much for the info.... I still may try those contacts. I guess one of my biggest concern is, that I’m just not quite sure how much longer he’ll have to hunt, his health isn’t good, and he really can’t hike at all, I’v hunted other units that require to much hiking for him, if I was hunting it by myself I’d hunt it far more different but he just can’t hunt that way anymore and I know with the roads around that unit it might be a little more friendly for him. I’v been talking about taking him to Colorado for some time, although it’s been a few years since I’ve hunt 22, I do feel that we could run into one or two. I really don’t think that he’s expecting to much, maybe a 165-170ish. My ideal hunt would be to find him a good 4th season, but with his points he’s still a bit out for that. Maybe I’ll spend some more time and see what else he could draw with those points, thanks again!
Last year 4th season spent 7 days in 22 never turned up a buck over 160. This year I spent a chunk of the season and know 4 other guys who hunted all season and never turned up a 160 buck. Best we killed was just over 150 this year. The other 4 guys 2 ate thier tags and the other 2 killed 18-20 basket 4x4s. I honestly have been watching and so far I have not found a big buck that came out of 22 other than the few that the outfitters killed on the old shell lease.

If I was in your shoes hunt 22, knowing that a 140-150 is now a better end buck and not the days of old where you would see a 140-150 2-3 times a day. Hunt for one good buck for him and consider another option with you money.

I totally understand why that unit is appealing especially with the points and the access. I am not sure where to tell you to look for another options that will work but I do know this all of NW Colorado got hammered. The CPW is trying to kill all the mature bucks and the one thing that CPW is really good at is killing off the animals. Most 3rd seasons in the NW doubled the number of tags and many of the 4th season tags were tripled.

Last year 4th season spent 7 days in 22 never turned up a buck over 160. This year I spent a chunk of the season and know 4 other guys who hunted all season and never turned up a 160 buck. Best we killed was just over 150 this year. The other 4 guys 2 ate thier tags and the other 2 killed 18-20 basket 4x4s. I honestly have been watching and so far I have not found a big buck that came out of 22 other than the few that the outfitters killed on the old shell lease.

If I was in your shoes hunt 22, knowing that a 140-150 is now a better end buck and not the days of old where you would see a 140-150 2-3 times a day. Hunt for one good buck for him and consider another option with you money.

I totally understand why that unit is appealing especially with the points and the access. I am not sure where to tell you to look for another options that will work but I do know this all of NW Colorado got hammered. The CPW is trying to kill all the mature bucks and the one thing that CPW is really good at is killing off the animals. Most 3rd seasons in the NW doubled the number of tags and many of the 4th season tags were tripled.
Thanks, yeah the more and more I think about it maybe I’ll just bank my money and we’ll try and go find just one for him, I’ll go build a few more mule deer memories with the one that got me going.

why are you stuck on that hunt?
Father has failing health and mobility issues. 22 is a great gentleman's hunt. Lots of easy road access and typically can produce good bucks. There are still great over all deer numbers in the unit, but they have not been managing the unit for crap lately.

I’d scratch the tag for yourself and guide the old man on an awesome adventure!

Dedicate your time and energy to make it an amazing experience for him!

Thanks so much for all your comments and info... I may look at a few other options but definitely keep this unit in mind for him.
Hopefully next year I’ll be adding some pics, great story with memories to this thread.
thanks again, there are some great guys on this site!

You might consider a hunt for your dad with you as an observer. If I were going to do this I would give Nine Mile Guest Ranch/ RTS hunting in Meeker a strong look. They have a big lease up North of Craig (53,000 acres ?) that is in ranching for wildlife. They are good outfitters and are really successful, especially on elk.

You might consider a hunt for your dad with you as an observer. If I were going to do this I would give Nine Mile Guest Ranch/ RTS hunting in Meeker a strong look. They have a big lease up North of Craig (53,000 acres ?) that is in ranching for wildlife. They are good outfitters and are really successful, especially on elk.
Thanks for the info... but to perfectly honest with you I’m more of a DIY guy. Maybe one day I might try it but as for now I like to do it on my own.

Father has failing health and mobility issues. 22 is a great gentleman's hunt. Lots of easy road access and typically can produce good bucks. There are still great over all deer numbers in the unit, but they have not been managing the unit for crap lately.
Copy that

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom