Unit 22 colorado

325wsm

Active Member
Messages
245
Wondering how the 2nd rifle went for everyone with all this warm weather? I'll be headed out next week with a 3rd season tag in my pocket and hopefully it cools off a bit.
 

Stubaby

Very Active Member
Messages
1,464
I'm assuming you are a non-res.

How many points did you have? I'm waiting for my turn for the same tag.


Good luck. Post a pic or 2.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"
 

liecabucks

Very Active Member
Messages
1,004
I ran into the bush hawg for that unit last year while in 21 and he said he was surprised at the amount of go bucks coming off there. He insinuated it was a great unit compared to points required to draw. I want to say it was like an 8 point draw NR I forget though

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...
 

Sako76

Active Member
Messages
144
My outfitter in Unit 12 told me the bucks are starting to rut. They should be in full rut come 11/4. Unfortunately, I'm the only guy in my group that doesn't have a deer tag.
 

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Messages
8,784
Warm weather again in 22? Bummer. I had this tag last year and it was warm. I still enjoyed my hunt but wished we had gotten some weather. I drew as a NR with 8 points last year. I don't believe its worth 8 NR points IF you don't get weather. I've heard its a great hunt IF you get weather. Good luck to all...

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.
 

wildfin

Active Member
Messages
276
for our 3rd hunt last year the deer were active all day in the cover and we killed a175-178-181. burned 10 pts on it and would burn more if I had them. my wife has the tag this year and what I see for weather looks like a lot of rain so I was hoping for hot and dry, they cant hide from glass guess my wife needs a rain coat, she will do rain only for a couple days and is not going to want to road hunt, hopefully she connects early.
 

Clownpuncher

Active Member
Messages
200
I have a 21 3rd season tag that I was hoping for weather. Doesn't look like it is going to show up. Fingers crossed. I think 22 3rd season is still a great tag though, just not as good as 21, obviously, but like any late, rut hunt, if you don't have weather, it completely changes things.
 

bingo

Active Member
Messages
356
Sent you an email 325. I have the tag as well and heading over later this week. Looking forward to it!
 

oldmossback

Moderator
Messages
816
The Boy had a 22-3rd season tag last year and killed a decent buck.. This year I have a 22-4th season tag. We will see if the REAL big boys show up...
 

tailchasers

Long Time Member
Messages
3,786
Guys, stay off the trigger and resist the temptation to take a smaller buck. 22 is thick county and weather helps. Without weather it takes more diligence and persistence. The way I see the rut working this year the later seasons should do really well this year.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."
 

KJW

Member
Messages
38
Can?t wait to get over there. My wife has a tag. We?ve never really been in the area to hunt so excited to see and learn some new country. The wife is super amped as this is the first time she's gotten out to hunt seriously since her dad passed away several years ago and it just hasn't worked out for us to hunt together. She had a Wyoming elk tag and already connected on a cow in the desert a couple weeks ago so the confidence is rolling. Good luck to everyone. Stay safe and stay dry.
 

sptsman4

Member
Messages
8
>Wondering how the 2nd rifle went
>for everyone with all this
>warm weather? I'll be headed
>out next week with a
>3rd season tag in my
>pocket and hopefully it cools
>off a bit.


Hi,
I drew this tag (3rd season deer) this year and wondered how you did. Any info you could provide on how and where to hunt would be appreciated. I plan to scout for a few days the end of Oct and gather as much info as I can till then.I'm a seasoned hunter with a rifle, bow and ML but plan to hunt this with a rifle. I drew with 14 pts and there may be better units but the info so far shows that there are some good bucks, especially if we get some snow. I've got a 4runner and an ATV and am willing to hike and pack. I'm hoping for a crack at a 170-190 buck so a little luck wouldn't hurt either! Thanks
 

sptsman4

Member
Messages
8
>Warm weather again in 22? Bummer.
>I had this tag last
>year and it was warm.
>I still enjoyed my hunt
>but wished we had gotten
>some weather. I drew as
>a NR with 8 points
>last year. I don't believe
>its worth 8 NR points
>IF you don't get weather.
>I've heard its a great
>hunt IF you get weather.
>Good luck to all...
>
>Steve
>
>Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good
>health for granted because it
>can be gone in a
>heartbeat. Please go back and
>read the last line. This
>time really understand what it
>says.

Hi,
I drew this tag (3rd season deer) this year and wondered how you did. Any any you could provide on how and where to hunt would be appreciated. I plan to scout for a few days the end of Oct and gather as much info as I can till then.I'm a seasoned hunter with a rifle, bow and ML but plan to hunt this with a rifle. I drew with 14 pts and there may be better units but the info so far show that there are some good bucks, especially if we get some snow. I've got a 4runner and an ATV and am willing to hike and pack. I'm hoping for a crack at a 170-190 buck so a little luck wouldn't hurt either! Thanks
 

sptsman4

Member
Messages
8
>for our 3rd hunt last year
>the deer were active all
>day in the cover and
>we killed a175-178-181. burned 10
>pts on it and would
>burn more if I had
>them. my wife has the
>tag this year and what
>I see for weather looks
>like a lot of rain
>so I was hoping for
>hot and dry, they cant
>hide from glass guess my
>wife needs a rain coat,
>she will do rain only
>for a couple days
>and is not going to
>want to road hunt, hopefully
>she connects early.

Hi,
I drew this tag (3rd season deer) this year and wondered how you did. Any any you could provide on how and where to hunt would be appreciated. I plan to scout for a few days the end of Oct and gather as much info as I can till then.I'm a seasoned hunter with a rifle, bow and ML but plan to hunt this with a rifle. I drew with 14 pts and there may be better units but the info so far show that there are some good bucks, especially if we get some snow. I've got a 4runner and an ATV and am willing to hike and pack. I'm hoping for a crack at a 170-190 buck so a little luck wouldn't hurt either! Thanks
 

sptsman4

Member
Messages
8
>I have a 21 3rd season
>tag that I was hoping
>for weather. Doesn't look
>like it is going to
>show up. Fingers crossed.
> I think 22 3rd
>season is still a great
>tag though, just not as
>good as 21, obviously, but
>like any late, rut hunt,
>if you don't have weather,
>it completely changes things.

Hi,
I drew this tag (3rd season deer) this year and wondered how you did. Any any you could provide on how and where to hunt would be appreciated. I plan to scout for a few days the end of Oct and gather as much info as I can till then.I'm a seasoned hunter with a rifle, bow and ML but plan to hunt this with a rifle. I drew with 14 pts and there may be better units but the info so far show that there are some good bucks, especially if we get some snow. I've got a 4runner and an ATV and am willing to hike and pack. I'm hoping for a crack at a 170-190 buck so a little luck wouldn't hurt either! Thanks
 

sptsman4

Member
Messages
8
>The Boy had a 22-3rd season
>tag last year and killed
>a decent buck.. This
>year I have a 22-4th
>season tag. We will see
>if the REAL big boys
>show up...

Hi,
I drew this tag (3rd season deer) this year and wondered how you did. Any any you could provide on how and where to hunt would be appreciated. I plan to scout for a few days the end of Oct and gather as much info as I can till then.I'm a seasoned hunter with a rifle, bow and ML but plan to hunt this with a rifle. I drew with 14 pts and there may be better units but the info so far show that there are some good bucks, especially if we get some snow. I've got a 4runner and an ATV and am willing to hike and pack. I'm hoping for a crack at a 170-190 buck so a little luck wouldn't hurt either! Thanks
 

sptsman4

Member
Messages
8
>Can?t wait to get over there.
>My wife has a tag.
>We?ve never really been in
>the area to hunt so
>excited to see and learn
>some new country. The wife
>is super amped as this
>is the first time she's
>gotten out to hunt seriously
>since her dad passed away
>several years ago and it
>just hasn't worked out for
>us to hunt together. She
>had a Wyoming elk tag
>and already connected on a
>cow in the desert a
>couple weeks ago so the
>confidence is rolling. Good luck
>to everyone. Stay safe and
>stay dry.

Hi,
I drew this tag (3rd season deer) this year and wondered how you did. Any any you could provide on how and where to hunt would be appreciated. I plan to scout for a few days the end of Oct and gather as much info as I can till then.I'm a seasoned hunter with a rifle, bow and ML but plan to hunt this with a rifle. I drew with 14 pts and there may be better units but the info so far show that there are some good bucks, especially if we get some snow. I've got a 4runner and an ATV and am willing to hike and pack. I'm hoping for a crack at a 170-190 buck so a little luck wouldn't hurt either! Thanks
 

sptsman4

Member
Messages
8
>Sent you an email 325. I
>have the tag as well
>and heading over later this
>week. Looking forward to it!
>

Hi,
I drew this tag (3rd season deer) this year and wondered how you did. Any any you could provide on how and where to hunt would be appreciated. I plan to scout for a few days the end of Oct and gather as much info as I can till then.I'm a seasoned hunter with a rifle, bow and ML but plan to hunt this with a rifle. I drew with 14 pts and there may be better units but the info so far show that there are some good bucks, especially if we get some snow. I've got a 4runner and an ATV and am willing to hike and pack. I'm hoping for a crack at a 170-190 buck so a little luck wouldn't hurt either! Thanks
 

sdhunter

New Member
Messages
3
Hey all,
thinking of cashing in the points in 2021 here and applying for unit 22. Right now i am leaning towards unit 22. Anyone had recent 2nd rifle experience here?
 

JakeH

Very Active Member
Messages
2,523
Hey all,
thinking of cashing in the points in 2021 here and applying for unit 22. Right now i am leaning towards unit 22. Anyone had recent 2nd rifle experience here?
22 is not what it used to be, it has fallen a bunch the last 5 years. Its crazy how fast they shot that unit down.
 

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Messages
8,784
The deer in 22 3rd are mostly migratory so how did they shoot that unit down? Did they shoot down the migration roots or what? How do yo mean? Too many tags is what you mean?
 

JakeH

Very Active Member
Messages
2,523
The deer in 22 3rd are mostly migratory so how did they shoot that unit down? Did they shoot down the migration roots or what? How do yo mean? Too many tags is what you mean?
When they kill all the mature bucks in the unit and every unit around it by giving out way to many tags they shoot a unit down. Go look at how many extra 3rd season tags they gave out to 22 and especially all the units around it.

They gave out more 3rd season tags in unit 11 this year then all rifle seasons combined in 2016. And it showed.
 

Ahunter74

Member
Messages
15
Hunted it several years ago (3rd season) saw a lot of deer, and 10-20 bucks a day. i didn't see anything over 160, a freind shot a mid. 170s deer. It is a fun hunt as far as seeing deer, but a frustrating hunt when you look over as many bucks as we did, and you dont see any really mature deer.
 

oldmossback

Moderator
Messages
816
I didn't believe the downfall of this unit either so I picked up a late season cow tag as a excuse to go look at bucks. I spent a week in the unit in late November and December and saw one nice buck total. We used to see 10-20 bucks per day. Now you are lucky if you even see a deer per day. It is really sickining !
 

elks96

Very Active Member
Messages
2,350
When they kill all the mature bucks in the unit and every unit around it by giving out way to many tags they shoot a unit down. Go look at how many extra 3rd season tags they gave out to 22 and especially all the units around it.

They gave out more 3rd season tags in unit 11 this year then all rifle seasons combined in 2016. And it showed.
Like Jake said they have increased the number of tags in all units all around. 22 did not see nearly the increases in other units, but virtually every unit the deer migrate into 22 from has been hammered with increased tag numbers. Many of the surrounding units saw tags increase by 300%.

As mentioned the number of 3rd season tags in 11 was higher than the total of all deer tags for the unit in years past.

Also the numbers in the unit have been on a steady downward trend. It has only gotten worse, so even if they did not increase the tags in the unit, simply keeping the level the same was already starting diminish the herd.
 

tailchasers

Long Time Member
Messages
3,786
Live in Rangely and USED TO hunt 22. We now hunt other areas because of the units downfall that is not just limited to unit 22. Every adjoining unit has fallen and will fall even harder. CPWs management is heartbreaking and will continue to faulter. What has been said is very true and sickening. I hear the midwestern whitetail herds are flourishing.
 
Last edited:

sdhunter

New Member
Messages
3
hey all, thanks for the replies i much appreciate it. This will be my first time hunting CO. I Have spent a lot of time in the last year so doing research. Do not have the money to go the outfitter way so definitely trying to DIY.
 

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom