Unit 22 Mule Deer - 2nd Season (HELP!)

robinsg61le

Hello MMers,

Well... I'm on day 5 of my 2nd season unit 22 hunt. This style of hunting is very new to me as I am from NE Oregon. I have good glass, a quad, and I am in good shape, but I can't figure out how to spot a mature buck in this unit. (I did pass on a 22"ish buck. Looking for 180+ or tag soup) This is my 8th day here and I am seeing more hunters than deer ): Any help would be appreciated.

1) What approach would you recommend to glassing?

2) What types of terrain should I be looking for mature deer in?

Thanks again for any help. I'm having a lot fun either way...

>Hello MMers,
>
>Well... I'm on day 5 of
>my 2nd season unit 22
>hunt. This style of hunting
>is very new to me
>as I am from NE
>Oregon. I have good glass,
>a quad, and I am
>in good shape, but I
>can't figure out how to
>spot a mature buck in
>this unit. (I did pass
>on a 22"ish buck. Looking
>for 180+ or tag soup)
>This is my 8th day
>here and I am seeing
>more hunters than deer ):
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>

First of all your 180+ is probably a pipe dream for 99% of the tags in the unit. Can it happen yes there are a couple that big every year taken, but almost always in the later season. The truth is a 160 should be a shooter all day long.

As far as big bucks, it is hot, it is dry, the wind has been weird, there are tons of hunters up there this year and it is hunting. Quads run the deer in the unit. I know some may stay still but the bigger bucks will not tolerate a quad. 90% of the roads in the unit never see a single quad or ATV except for hunting season. I have watched entire canyons of deer move at first light when a quad started into the area.

Your biggest issue is the weather. Over the weekend we were at 11,000 feet with just T-shirts on. 22 is a winter ground and holds almost no deer in 90% of unit all summer. Get high glass and keep moving until you find decent numbers of deer.

Sadly you are on a weather dependent hunts and there is no weather. This has been the hottest and driest fall hunts I can remember. Up high we were watching all the deer go into and out of dark timber because it was so warm, This was in areas where they spent all year in Aspen.

Good luck... As Dory would say just keep hunting...

>1) What approach would you recommend
>to glassing?
>
>2) What types of terrain should
>I be looking for mature
>deer in?
>
>Thanks again for any help. I'm
>having a lot fun either
>way...

I'd take Elks96 advice and look in the spots that are cool and may be off the beaten path from other hunters. Find a secluded area on your map that is far away from any quad trails, walk in and sit and glass. If you've done everything else, what do you have to lose? I wish I had some info for you but it will be my first time in CO as well. I burned 8 points on this tag and I hope I can find a good mature buck to kill. My cell number is (805) 720-0604. I would really appreciate it if you would keep my in the loop on how you do. I checked the weather this am and it doesn't look like it's going to get any cooler for the 2nd season. It will drop down into the 50's on Nov 5th it says...that is opening day for 3rd season. I wish you luck...maybe the deer Gods will smile on you for being so patient.

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-16 AT 05:11PM (MST)[p]Find an off the beat or over looked drainage, sit down, and start glassing. We sat for 4+hours last year on a single ridge overlooking a vast drainage. After 15 minutes or so deer started to develop not just one or 2 but dozens within this big drainage. When a pickup or ATV would drive by the deer would freeze only to begin moving a few minutes after the hunters would pass. Everytime... So grab a drink, butt pad, spotter & bino's, some food, and start glassing.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

You will be eating tag soup, unless you get extremely lucky, if you are waiting for a 180+ in this unit, this year! The percentage of tags filled on a buck of that size is under 5% on a good year and this is not a good year! I would say it peaked 2-3 years ago and the weather is terrible right now for deer movement! All the people that waited for this year because of the dates are going to be very disappointed save those lucky few. There aren't many places that you can get away from a road in this unit and with the closing of the Shell property it has concentrated the hunters so it's even more of a zoo than normal! They key in this country is to keep moving and be prepared to eat that tag sammich if you are holding out for a big one. Good luck! Your gonna need it!

the third season is going to encompass some of the rut no matter what the weather does,I have heard that about 70% of the herd has moved to the winter range, that was from a source that works with the biologist,I was seeing good bucks in july. this unit does have alot of roads but 2/3 of it could not be seen unless your in a helicopter,there may only be 5% good bucks killed but that will probably be hunters, the other 95% may be road hunting and looking at the same game every one else is over and over again.I am not worried about the weather If it is to hot we are in a group and will hunt them like pheasant all day, we may not see them leave but we will know there not there anymore,its much better with bird dogs but there is a reason you cant use them.The same big bucks that were there 2 years ago are still there, minus one 217 buck, the private in that unit is a drop in the bucket,see you there.

North face slopes are your best chance! Glass them until your eyes hurt then glass them some more! Look for parts of a deer not the whole deer and slight movement Good hunting....Jim

Thanks for all the help everyone. I finally found a deer to shoot. Not the Monster I had hoped for, but it was a tough season by all accounts.

Do the deer normally migrate into 22 earlier in the year?

>Thanks for all the help everyone.
>I finally found a deer
>to shoot. Not the Monster
>I had hoped for, but
>it was a tough season
>by all accounts.
>
>Do the deer normally migrate into
>22 earlier in the year?
>

PM sent

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom