unit 22 nevada

dsbudman

i have six pts thinking about this unit is it worth i been trying for 11-13 014 and 033. what kind of country is 022 any help would be great.
David

I think your points would be better spent somewhere else. I have seen decent deer in that unit and picked up a bomber shed but there are better units.

good tag check out Vinegar mtn and east slopes of Tule peak. killed 26" 165 buck there 2 years ago buddy got a 30" buck out of there last year.

I realize this is a super old thread but I ran across it while trying to find some information about this unit.

Recently found out I drew an alternate tag for this unit and am trying to cram as much research in as possible in a very short time. I'm a local (native to Reno/Sparks) and actually live in 022 on the southern end.

Mostly I'm working on figuring out access to the Virginia Range and Thule Peak at the moment. I know Pyramid Hwy being closed kind of limits the access options - or makes them more difficult I guess.

I might have some private property options (still waiting to hear back) but in the mean time, can anyone offer some pointers for this unit? I work out of town so I will only have the weekends available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been reading the forum for a bit and it seems like there is a nice community here that I would like to become active in.

I really debated posting this, and actually went back and forth a few times but ultimately decided that someone, someday might run across this thread and my post might save them a headache.

My group spent 13 total days in this unit - we also live in it and are very familiar with the area and how to get around. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have put in for this tag. And here is why:

Lack of access. Sure, it's a big unit. But you quickly realize you can't hunt half of it due to the reservation. Then private property eliminates most of the rest. What you are left with, basically is the BLM portions of the Virginia Range and the Pah Rah Range.

The Virginia Range is blocked for access, as far as we can find. That isn't to say that somewhere, there is a tiny opening to get in, but we couldn't find it. Miles and miles of fence, posted private property and the reservation block access.

The Pah Rah Range is better, but still not without it's challenges. Access from the east is blocked by the reservation. The south, west and north are open if you're willing to cross unposted private property. Access to Spanish Springs peak is blocked from the east by a giant gate and the locals really, really don't like visitors. Pond Peak is better but it is almost all private, and posted.

Pah Rah Range has also burned a couple of times in recent years so what land isn't private is scorched earth. The burn areas are probably the biggest drawback to this area. Sometimes there are ways around access - but there's no getting around miles and miles of burn. Those fires destroyed a ton of habitat - and it doesn't look like it will recover any time soon.

The next drawback on the list is the horses. I have never seen so many wild horses. Everywhere. Some times in groups nearing a hundred. The are destroying what's left of the deer habitat.

So did we see deer? Sure. They are in the fields in Palomino Valley. If you have a friend who will let you hunt on a field, it can be a great tag. If you have to scour the hills - good luck. There a very, very few deer out there. We did glass up small pockets of does here and there. 3 close encounters with bucks (the ones that weren't on fields) - one without a clean shot and the other two in the dark.

If you do decide to hunt this unit, there are a couple of positive things:

1. The views are pretty incredible. Standing on top of Virginia Peak, Spanish Springs Peak, Pond Peak and Pah Rah Peak changed my view of the area we will live in. Simply incredible and highly recommended. The terrain on the east side of Virginia Peak is something else.

2. It's a workout if that's what you're looking for. In some places we were gaining or losing 1000 feet of elevation per mile. Lots of near vertical climbs.

3. It's close to Reno. Nothing better after hunting than sleeping in your own bed.

4. I got to explore areas I didn't even know existed in my own backyard.

But as far as a hunt unit, I probably won't do it again. Just too much damage and too much private property. I did get to spend 13 days with family exploring so that makes it all worth it.

Unit 22 is Washoe County. Area 22 is Lincoln County. And consists of units 221, 222, and 223.He is correct in his title and description. The thread has been about Washoe County the whole time.

Too bad you didn't get a deer. It seems with the fires that have ravaged northern Nevada has forced most of the deer to very isolated pockets overall, mostly on or very close to irrigated property.

Unit 22 is Washoe County. Area 22 is Lincoln County. And consists of units 221, 222, and 223.He is correct in his title and description. The thread has been about Washoe County the whole time.

Too bad you didn't get a deer. It seems with the fires that have ravaged northern Nevada has forced most of the deer to very isolated pockets overall, mostly on or very close to irrigated property.
good point....

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom