Unit 22S Muzzy or late rifle Elk Hunt Info

Buzzy

Researching what I might do going into the next draw. I have 17 NR points and it has been suggested to me to take a look at this unit for a muzzy hunt where there are a number of mature bulls over 350". How good is the unit and is it worth burning my points on? I am in my early 50's and have no hurry to hunt AZ as I'd like to hold out for a unit where I can get a good shot at a 350" or better bull. It's also been suggested to talk to G3 outfitters for this unit. Thanks

Took 20+ points in 2022 for the tag. 70% success. Your still a few years away, but looks like a good choice. I've hunted 22, but not for elk. Good luck.

That 22S muzzle hunt is peak rut and could be really fun. Not sure it's a slam dunk for a 350"+ though. Have helped a buddy's mother on the early rifle in 22N and found some solid bulls.

You might also consider Units 1 & 27.

If you're not in a hurry and want a good chance at a 350 bull and also are considering going guided go for 23 late. I believe it's taking 20 nr points right now. Even if not going guided you can pull a 350 out of 23.

My vote for an outfitter for the 23 Late hunt would be Mogollon Rim Outfitters (Greg Krogh).
With 17 points this year, unfortunately he wouldn’t be hunting 23 late rifle for atleast another decade if not longer (I’d argue it’ll be closer to 20 more years considering the backlog of applicants just above him).

If you’re in really good shape I’d look at 22s and hire AZGP. Greg Krogh would be another awesome route but I don’t think he guides in the early hunts. If you’re not in good shape then I’d look to archery hunts on top of the rim. A legit 350 bull is a tough bull to find in any of the mid tier units but not impossible.

With 17 points this year, unfortunately he wouldn’t be hunting 23 late rifle for atleast another decade if not longer (I’d argue it’ll be closer to 20 more years considering the backlog of applicants just above him).

If you’re in really good shape I’d look at 22s and hire AZGP. Greg Krogh would be another awesome route but I don’t think he guides in the early hunts. If you’re not in good shape then I’d look to archery hunts on top of the rim. A legit 350 bull is a tough bull to find in any of the mid tier units but not impossible.
I'm fully aware that he is a LONG ways away from drawing a 23 Late tag. When the chatter turned to 23 Late, I was just chiming in on who my outfitter pick would be for that unit. AZGP is another great outfit as well.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom