Unit 23 Burro Coues Archery

elkfanatic

Hey guys I seem to have drawn a burro mountains archery coues tag and I am totally dumbfounded. I have never even seen a coues deer let alone kill one. Anyone have any advice on how to hunt them? I just want to get familiar with how to spot and hunt them. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Lots and lots, and lots of glassing. They are very small, harder to spot. I have never hunted the burros, but have seen plenty of coues deer.

You should have plenty of time to do some scouting seeing as the Burro Archery hunt does not start until January 1st, 2016. The above suggestions are spot on. If you are wanting to do mostly spot and stalk then you need to be hunting in areas where glassing is possible and spend a lot of time behind a high quality pair of optics. They will be rutting so activity through the day can be fair. You can also try rattling and grunting, however that is difficult with archery gear while hunting solo. The entire area has pockets of Coues dispersed through out it so I would say study your forest and topo maps and look for areas that will suit the kind of hunting you are wanting to do.

Jeff

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom