Unit 23 Burro Mountains

tjbowser

Looking for help with the Burro Mountain part of unit 23. My son drew a youth tag for Thanksgiving weekend. Specifically, does anyone have advice on where to stay for the best Nd most access. I am not familiar with the area and am spending a lot of Google time right now. So far, hinking Silver City, rv park or hotel. Also, don't want to ask but any suggestions on scouting areas won't be turned away. Thank you.

Looking for help with the Burro Mountain part of unit 23. My son drew a youth tag for Thanksgiving weekend. Specifically, does anyone have advice on where to stay for the best Nd most access. I am not familiar with the area and am spending a lot of Google time right now. So far, hinking Silver City, rv park or hotel. Also, don't want to ask but any suggestions on scouting areas won't be turned away. Thank you.
I lived in Silver for 15 years. The Burros is not what it used to be but can still find some good deer. A lot of the hunters there are road hunters. It is also pretty thick. I would focus on the south and west side in the breaks coming off the main mountain. Stay in Silver (eat at Jaliscos, Kountry Kitchen, and MiCasita) or if you have an RV, can camp anywhere in the Burros. Usually a cold front blows in the second week of November, Thanksgiving usually windy. Youth hunt is a good hunt. Good luck. PM with any questions. I also have a friend from Silver that guides.

Hunting a lot of that country out of Silver City is very doable. Are you going to be able to scout?

I lived in Silver for 15 years. The Burros is not what it used to be but can still find some good deer. A lot of the hunters there are road hunters. It is also pretty thick. I would focus on the south and west side in the breaks coming off the main mountain. Stay in Silver (eat at Jaliscos, Kountry Kitchen, and MiCasita) or if you have an RV, can camp anywhere in the Burros. Usually a cold front blows in the second week of November, Thanksgiving usually windy. Youth hunt is a good hunt. Good luck. PM with any questions. I also have a friend from Silver that guides.
What is you friends info that guides? Also, how is the access on public land for a large RV. Debating between that or the wall tent.

Are you talking about areas accessed from Gold Gulch Rd off Hwy 99?

Hunt #1 in the books. Utah youth only any bull, worrisome first few days but he tagged out on a 5x4 (5x3 with the tine that broke, but we recovered it) on day 5. Three weeks till my daughter's Pine Valley hunt, then off to the this hunt. Thank you everyone for the input so far.

IMG_7839(1).jpg

Get back in there a ways. Those gray ghosts gave us some humble pie for a while until my good buddy felt sorry for us. Have a great hunt.

We camped outside of town a few miles on BLM or some sort of Public land. I don't recall exactly but it was a sweet spot. It had a huge rock wall to the south.

We camped outside of town a few miles on BLM or some sort of Public land. I don't recall exactly but it was a sweet spot. It had a huge rock wall to the south.
Trailer accessible? If you recall at all or are able to get directions or coordinates, please let me know. I am planning to drag my trailer out there but will not be allowing much time to find a place to park it. It's 34 feet long with a long be truck, so I need some room. Thank you.

That's a long rig. The road we were on had switchbacks that wouldn't fit that size camper. We tent camped.

Tough hunt, successful, but no giveaway. Probably the least amount of deer seen per hours glassing I have experienced anywhere. Started to focus on whitetail areas and he tagged out on a nice muley. Thank you to those that helped, specifically the couple that PM'd me. These youth tag years go by fast and a little help can go a long ways in making them most memorable.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom