Unit 23 Burro Mountains

tjbowser

Looking for help with the Burro Mountain part of unit 23. My son drew a youth tag for Thanksgiving weekend. Specifically, does anyone have advice on where to stay for the best Nd most access. I am not familiar with the area and am spending a lot of Google time right now. So far, hinking Silver City, rv park or hotel. Also, don't want to ask but any suggestions on scouting areas won't be turned away. Thank you

Silver City or Lordsburg are options. I believe there is an RV park in the unit too, on the southeast side, close to Tyrone.
Jeff

Thank you. I think I'm leaning towards Silver City. It looks like it's got good access and is a nice town. I drove through Lordsburg on my way sheep hunting and was trying to steer clear there.

LOL. Funny that you got those impressions of the two towns...pretty accurate...lol
I know there is a RV park by Tyrone/White Signal but it seems like I passed a RV park tucked in the hills/ in the unit. I'll have to check.
Where are you coming from?
How long do you have to hunt or scout before the hunt?
Jeff

I drove through Lordsburg in December going to and from my Audad hunt. My brother pointed out where the Burro mountains are and said if we ever draw could stay there....my first thought was where else is there..lol...I am coming from Tehachapi, CA. I did see there is an RV park called Burro Mountain Homestead in the national forest, but at this point I am thinking of just dragging the trailer to Silver City and parking it there. I don't see how I'm going to get out there on a separate scouting trip right now, so just planning to arrive a couple days early. Hate doing it, but won't be the first time.

That sounds like the RV park I was thinking about in the Burros. I am a big fan of camping as close to where I am hunting so I would stay there. I didn't hunt around there but was told the closer you can get to the Tyrone mine (Freeport McMoran owned) sometimes you get into more deer, especially when they come off the property. There is several roads that can get you somewhat close.

I spent almost all of my hunt at the south end of the unit and it was rough. I didn't see a buck until day 7 of the hunt. I glassed most of each day and never glassed a mule deer buck or doe, only a few WT.
A friend drew the same tag last year and he shot a nice nontypical in the central part of the unit around Bullard canyon. Most of the unit is very thick and tough to glass but glassing is the best way to hunt it.
Jeff

That sounds like the RV park I was thinking about in the Burros. I am a big fan of camping as close to where I am hunting so I would stay there. I didn't hunt around there but was told the closer you can get to the Tyrone mine (Freeport McMoran owned) sometimes you get into more deer, especially when they come off the property. There is several roads that can get you somewhat close.

I spent almost all of my hunt at the south end of the unit and it was rough. I didn't see a buck until day 7 of the hunt. I glassed most of each day and never glassed a mule deer buck or doe, only a few WT.
A friend drew the same tag last year and he shot a nice nontypical in the central part of the unit around Bullard canyon. Most of the unit is very thick and tough to glass but glassing is the best way to hunt it.
Jeff
Thank you for the info. I was sending the rv park an email to inquire about what to expect with the weather that time of year. My concern was getting a large trailer in there if snow is a factor. Also says online it is a rough 10 mile dirt road in. The nice thing about his tag is it allows for either mule deer or WT. The unit we hunt in AZ has a healthy population of both. The mule deer are always in the flats and the WT are always on the hills. Very little variation. I have been trying to figure out if there are certain areas of this unit denser with one or the other. I would love a decent WT but I think he is looking more towards mule deer.

My troubles are getting worse, I just got an email that I drew the Utah cactus buck tag. I guess it's a good problem to have, though.

Right! Definitely worse problems to have. They run consecutive and the cactus buck is a two week season. I could put a week in it and still have a week in between. Worried now what the other two kids results might produce.

Aaaaand....now my son drew the Utah youth any bull elk tag and my daughter got a Pine Valley deer tag....busy fall....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom